Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Spark plugs

I just changed the spark plugs on my 04 Boxster and found out that Porshe recommends you change the every 60,000 miles. My boxster has 25k and I felt that with gas prices so high changing the spark plugs wouldnt hurt, Do you guys think I should of waited or do you feel I did the right thing? I put the NGK laser(10dls each)spark plugs in myself..any opinions?

Guest carpediemgr

After a 20 years driving many fast cars i think that if you dont have a serious monay problem and you like to spend a few $ is not bad to

change the spark plugs more often than the maintainance says the car accelerate better with new sparks just be carefoul not to use sparks wich can make hole to the piston. few years ago there are a double lens spark plugs wich make a lot of trouble. generally bosch sparks with the four 4 lens are very good.

Something that i know for sure, it is very good for the car is to change Valvolines in the gear box and transmission oils more often than 100000km porshe or bmw or mercedes says. these oils many times contain a lot of metal dust.

the only bad for an engine think is to change engine oil very soon because the oil need some time to make a cover foil inside the engine and protect the parts.

spark plugs you can change every week :)) the ingition is the best with new ones and the consumption is lower. Platin plugs are the safest because there is no way of braking a lens and fault in the cylinder piston

Edited by carpediemgr

Update

I took the car for a test drive after I installed the NGL IRIDIUM spark plugs and I could tell the difference, When I woke up this morning to go to work at 33f weather everything was well UNTIL I came to a stop, The idle began to get rough and dropped to the point I had to accelerate it so It wouldnt die. I drove away and it worked very good then on my way back home once in a while It began to get rough as I accelerated, It didnt do it all the time but Im worried, should I double check my work to make sure I didnt leave a spark plug loose? should I use THREAD LOCK on the spark plugs? Or should I simply take the ngk's out and put the original ones back and order the OEM spark plugs?? Please help me out. Thansk

Guest carpediemgr
Update

I took the car for a test drive after I installed the NGL IRIDIUM spark plugs and I could tell the difference, When I woke up this morning to go to work at 33f weather everything was well UNTIL I came to a stop, The idle began to get rough and dropped to the point I had to accelerate it so It wouldnt die. I drove away and it worked very good then on my way back home once in a while It began to get rough as I accelerated, It didnt do it all the time but Im worried, should I double check my work to make sure I didnt leave a spark plug loose? should I use THREAD LOCK on the spark plugs? Or should I simply take the ngk's out and put the original ones back and order the OEM spark plugs?? Please help me out. Thansk

i told before you have to use only recomended spark plugs to avoid a huge brake or hole on the piston

the spark plugs you used are recomended?

many aftermarket spark plugs can make the car accelerate better than the recomended but many times make problems like (idle rpm drop and the engine is close to stop when you depress the accelerator pedal quickly) (more consumption) (not good gas analizer resaults) etc

the plugs you install was like the old ones? with 1,2 ,4 ignition pins?

of course wires and coils is not so easy job to fit well as the old cars with just one rubber pipe where you have just to listen the "click" to fit

Edited by carpediemgr

NOPE the NGK'S have only one prong insted of 4 like the stocks, they have the pin made of iradium and the loop part made of platnium. They can be made out of gold but if they make my baby run like crap I dont want them. Why did I buy them? Because I was told by the auto parts store that they are the best for that car :( I will replace them with the old ones and order the OEM"s any suggestions of a web page that sells them for a good price? thanks

Guest carpediemgr
NOPE the NGK'S have only one prong insted of 4 like the stocks, they have the pin made of iradium and the loop part made of platnium. They can be made out of gold but if they make my baby run like crap I dont want them. Why did I buy them? Because I was told by the auto parts store that they are the best for that car :( I will replace them with the old ones and order the OEM"s any suggestions of a web page that sells them for a good price? thanks

buy from the official seller i changed mine a month ago for 8 euro each, dont try to buy otherwere they cost just 50$ dont worth and dont drive with the aftermarket you will cause many $$$ troubles

• 4 weeks later...