Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Today I contacted my Porsche dealer to ask if I could buy an updated navigation CD for my PCM system. My car was supplied in June 2006. I was not entirely surprised, but so disappointed, to hear that in the UK a new CD disc would cost more than 400 UK pounds ( $800 USD) I have deferred a purchase for a year or two. Meanwhile, has anyone tried to copy the latest Porsche nav CD and might make it available?

Today I contacted my Porsche dealer to ask if I could buy an updated navigation CD for my PCM system. My car was supplied in June 2006. I was not entirely surprised, but so disappointed, to hear that in the UK a new CD disc would cost more than 400 UK pounds ( $800 USD) I have deferred a purchase for a year or two. Meanwhile, has anyone tried to copy the latest Porsche nav CD and might make it available?

Apparently you can, not that anyone would ever do that ;), and even if I knew someone who has, the disc they may have copied would have been the US version.

The MAP update seems expensive until you consider the coverage it includes. I think it stands currently at around 22 countries and covers from Ireland to Greece all on the same map DVD. Were you to buy the same coverage as multiple map disks for any other system it would cost you significantly more. Admittedly , some will never travel outside the Uk so may prefer a slimmed down cheaper version, but as long as Porsche supply just one DVD for all of Europe , the volumes keep the costs reasonable. You could try looking on e bay for the May 2007 map disk for a figure of around 100 pounds , widen your search to worldwide to pick up the good deals from Germany.

The MAP update seems expensive until you consider the coverage it includes. I think it stands currently at around 22 countries and covers from Ireland to Greece all on the same map DVD. Were you to buy the same coverage as multiple map disks for any other system it would cost you significantly more. Admittedly , some will never travel outside the Uk so may prefer a slimmed down cheaper version, but as long as Porsche supply just one DVD for all of Europe , the volumes keep the costs reasonable. You could try looking on e bay for the May 2007 map disk for a figure of around 100 pounds , widen your search to worldwide to pick up the good deals from Germany.

I use a TomTom in my daily travel, a Pontiac, and can update my USA maps directly from their website for far less cost. $800USD is just absurd <_< . It is not unreasonable to expect Porsche or any other supplier to offer something far more economic that having to purchase 22 country cd coverage when far less coverage is needed.

Does the TOM TOM coverage cover all of the USA or just the West / East / Central parts by region ? To be honest I think the tom tom kit is fine for a daily drive , but looks tatty in a Porsche. My experience with them is they also have somewhat tempremental hardware and the software can crash , requiring the unit to be sent back to the manufacturer. If porsche could provide localised map updates at a more competitive cost , this would be better, but I suspect the economies of scale make it cost effective to offer a wider coverage and fewer disks. Regarding the tom tom free updates , I was not aware these were unlimited for the lifetime of the product , I thought you only got updates free for the first year ? for the application of the Uk i suggest purchasing a used map DVD from E bay. The european map DVD's are updated twice a year, somewhat more frequently than the USA versions i beleive. Again this is only financially possible thanks to the wide coverage the DVD has , otherwise it would be too expensive for porsche to comission.

As to the coverage, Europe has more countries in the space of just half of the USA , so for those driving their cars on holiday, its not unreasonable to cross 3 or four borders. Personally i like the idea of having all of europe on one DVD, it saves the hassle of swapping DVD's at borders, and actually works out cheaper than other navigation systems buying each country as a new map. When i go on holiday i typically travel through 7 countries in Europe. I would also add that the Navteq maps used in the Porsche system are superior in detail and more frequently updated than the Teleatlas ones offered in other vehicle OEM systems and used in the TOM TOM product. In fact , its true to say that the Porsche map DVD's are also above the level of detail and coverage than found in the rest of the Navteq range. The Porsche MAP DVD's are comissioned by Porsche and not only include all possible TMC codes , but also the complete coverage available from the navteq map source. By paying for the most comprehensive map data and making the DVD's exclusive to Porsche , there is some justification for the price. In an ideal world it would be nice to buy specific maps at a cheaper price , but i fear if this was offered , the cost of the comprehensive maps would be higher still or maybe even discontinued.

Edited by berty987

Does the TOM TOM coverage cover all of the USA or just the West / East / Central parts by region ? To be honest I think the tom tom kit is fine for a daily drive , but looks tatty in a Porsche. My experience with them is they also have somewhat tempremental hardware and the software can crash , requiring the unit to be sent back to the manufacturer. If porsche could provide localised map updates at a more competitive cost , this would be better, but I suspect the economies of scale make it cost effective to offer a wider coverage and fewer disks. Regarding the tom tom free updates , I was not aware these were unlimited for the lifetime of the product , I thought you only got updates free for the first year ? for the application of the Uk i suggest purchasing a used map DVD from E bay. The european map DVD's are updated twice a year, somewhat more frequently than the USA versions i beleive. Again this is only financially possible thanks to the wide coverage the DVD has , otherwise it would be too expensive for porsche to comission.

As to the coverage, Europe has more countries in the space of just half of the USA , so for those driving their cars on holiday, its not unreasonable to cross 3 or four borders. Personally i like the idea of having all of europe on one DVD, it saves the hassle of swapping DVD's at borders, and actually works out cheaper than other navigation systems buying each country as a new map. When i go on holiday i typically travel through 7 countries in Europe. I would also add that the Navteq maps used in the Porsche system are superior in detail and more frequently updated than the Teleatlas ones offered in other vehicle OEM systems and used in the TOM TOM product. In fact , its true to say that the Porsche map DVD's are also above the level of detail and coverage than found in the rest of the Navteq range. The Porsche MAP DVD's are comissioned by Porsche and not only include all possible TMC codes , but also the complete coverage available from the navteq map source. By paying for the most comprehensive map data and making the DVD's exclusive to Porsche , there is some justification for the price. In an ideal world it would be nice to buy specific maps at a cheaper price , but i fear if this was offered , the cost of the comprehensive maps would be higher still or maybe even discontinued.

TomTom maps for the USA cover the entire country. They seem to update them about once a year. I think the last update for the entire country was about $45 - $50 for the download. Haven't had any problems at all with the hardware. The TomTom website offers a TomTom Home application for free which backs up everything on the unit, including POI's you add, Favorite locations, voices, etc. You can also program the unit from the website (with unit attached via USB). European maps are also offered... not sure of the cost, check their website.

• 1 month later...

Apparently you can, not that anyone would ever do that ;), and even if I knew someone who has, the disc they may have copied would have been the US version.

How do you suppose someone with an Orange Boxster in Texas go about getting that copy? ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I use a Garmin 660. For $700US I get all US, MP3 player SD card memory, Traffic info (monthly fee), custom POIs with simple, user accessoble format, Bluetooth operation of my phone, high quality speakerphone, incredibly reponsive touchscreen and the acknowledged best software interface in the business. Of course, I was an early adopter and overpaid. Anyone can buy this unit now for under $500 US.

The unit has never crashed or glitched in any way. Oh, did I mention that its portable? Not only can I move it from one car to another but it also contains a battery that lasts for about 4 hours. Of course it only has one button compared to the 33 buttons and 2 knobs that Porsche PCM has.

If I really wanted to spoil the flexibility I could have the best interior customizer in our area build a custom color-matched enclosure to mount it permanently in a Boxster and it would cost about $1200. Oh, did I mention that the complete map upgrade cost is $100, can be oredered online and installed by the end user?

Color me tatty, Berty, but I refuse to overpay by a factor of 5 for less functionality.

Regards,

Alan

Hi, I have a copy of a 2007 model PCM2.1 DVD - labelled as 10/2006. The code on the disc is 997.642.255.05.7L5.919.859.AP. Contact with your email address if you want me to send it (about 2GB of data). Mike

Shouldn't the 2008's come with the most up-to-date version?

I use a Garmin 660. For $700US I get all US, MP3 player SD card memory, Traffic info (monthly fee), custom POIs with simple, user accessoble format, Bluetooth operation of my phone, high quality speakerphone, incredibly reponsive touchscreen and the acknowledged best software interface in the business. Of course, I was an early adopter and overpaid. Anyone can buy this unit now for under $500 US.

The unit has never crashed or glitched in any way. Oh, did I mention that its portable? Not only can I move it from one car to another but it also contains a battery that lasts for about 4 hours. Of course it only has one button compared to the 33 buttons and 2 knobs that Porsche PCM has.

If I really wanted to spoil the flexibility I could have the best interior customizer in our area build a custom color-matched enclosure to mount it permanently in a Boxster and it would cost about $1200. Oh, did I mention that the complete map upgrade cost is $100, can be oredered online and installed by the end user?

Color me tatty, Berty, but I refuse to overpay by a factor of 5 for less functionality.

Regards,

Alan

I agree with you, Aan. I have the Nuvi 680. Great product.

Hi, I have a copy of a 2007 model PCM2.1 DVD - labelled as 10/2006. The code on the disc is 997.642.255.05.7L5.919.859.AP. Contact with your email address if you want me to send it (about 2GB of data). Mike

They no doubt do but I didnt get my copy from a 2008 model. I thought a late 2006 version was better than the 2005 version that britairdog already has. But if soemone has a 2008 UK version - I'm interested in getting a copy too ;)

Mike

They no doubt do but I didnt get my copy from a 2008 model. I thought a late 2006 version was better than the 2005 version that britairdog already has. But if soemone has a 2008 UK version - I'm interested in getting a copy too ;)

Mike

Mine is a 2008... but the dvd is from 2007

Mike

Looking at the TSBs, it seems that 08.2007 may be the latest release todate.

I think this latest version is associated with Software Version Model Level C, whereas Nav DVDs from 04.2005 upto but not including 08.2007 are associated with Software Version Model B. To go from Level B to level C requires you to load software updates via a couple of CD before you load up the later Nav DVD.

PS Obviously DVDs supplied in US will be different to DVDs supplied in UK but I think the DVD Version numbers Vs Software Levels still applies.

Can someone confirm all this?

Mike

For info the 08.2007 DVD comes with the relavant update CDs to bring the PCM to the latest firmware levels.

Mike

Looking at the TSBs, it seems that 08.2007 may be the latest release todate.

I think this latest version is associated with Software Version Model Level C, whereas Nav DVDs from 04.2005 upto but not including 08.2007 are associated with Software Version Model B. To go from Level B to level C requires you to load software updates via a couple of CD before you load up the later Nav DVD.

PS Obviously DVDs supplied in US will be different to DVDs supplied in UK but I think the DVD Version numbers Vs Software Levels still applies.

Can someone confirm all this?

Mike

Mike

FYI... Dont buy the update disc for this car (your orange pumpkin), the map update disc is designed for 'aftermarket' installs. The actual map on the disc is exactly the same as the 05.2007 one that came with your car. If you ask me how I know, I compared the files on the my one against the 'new' one, they are the same in name, size and date-time stamp.

Edited by Nick_USA

Mike

FYI... Dont buy the update disc for this car (your orange pumpkin), the map update disc is designed for 'aftermarket' installs. The actual map on the disc is exactly the same as the 05.2007 one that came with your car. If you ask me how I know, I compared the files on the my one against the 'new' one, they are the same in name, size and date-time stamp.

Ok, so I will continue to live in "no street" haha, thanks for the heads up Nick

I beleive the level C update , as it is now called , is in fact the level B+ that has patches to allow the later version PCM's to play MP3 files and fixes some issues with the telephone module. Certainly even the TSB suggests updating to level C is only possible if the PCM started life as version 3 (level b ) or higher software. Version 3 software came in with the introduction of the Mp3 compatable units mid 2005 which had level B firmware installed as standard. Earlier PCM units installed with level A or pre level A (software version 1 and 2) can only be updated as far as level 3 software and firmware level B , this is because they cannot support the Mp3 function. You can buy the level C firmware update Cd from your porsche dealer , but it will only work if your PCM was originally a versoin 3 level B unit. It costs only a few dollars/ pounds and self updates from the Cd drive in the PCM.

I am running the europe 05.2007 map Dvd in my PCM with level 3 software and firmware level B. My unit was originally a level A designated device running software level 1. it has since been updated, but will not update beyond level 3.

With a facelift model 911 due soon , it's possible porsche are holding back with comissioning updates for the maps (from Navteq) for the PCM as a new version of PCM may be installed ?

Edited by berty987

• 1 month later...
I beleive the level C update , as it is now called , is in fact the level B+ that has patches to allow the later version PCM's to play MP3 files and fixes some issues with the telephone module. Certainly even the TSB suggests updating to level C is only possible if the PCM started life as version 3 (level b ) or higher software. Version 3 software came in with the introduction of the Mp3 compatable units mid 2005 which had level B firmware installed as standard. Earlier PCM units installed with level A or pre level A (software version 1 and 2) can only be updated as far as level 3 software and firmware level B , this is because they cannot support the Mp3 function. You can buy the level C firmware update Cd from your porsche dealer , but it will only work if your PCM was originally a versoin 3 level B unit. It costs only a few dollars/ pounds and self updates from the Cd drive in the PCM.

I am running the europe 05.2007 map Dvd in my PCM with level 3 software and firmware level B. My unit was originally a level A designated device running software level 1. it has since been updated, but will not update beyond level 3.

With a facelift model 911 due soon , it's possible porsche are holding back with comissioning updates for the maps (from Navteq) for the PCM as a new version of PCM may be installed ?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and to Porsche, picked up a 987 Boxster S 55 plate 06 reg 2 weeks ago, haven't stopped smiling yet.

I am going across Europe this summer and was looking at the map situation on the forum. I would have expected my PCM to be at version 2 at least, however checking the sw levels revealed

SW Version 1.0 with

PCM at 04202JD1/3004

Sys SW 04113AD1/1104 and

Nav Sys 00174156/2704.

How did you get from level 1 to 3 was it via OPC and what was the cost?

Being new to all this I'm still a little confused so any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by Barneybee

Your car is fitted with an early PCM 2.1 unit and running the 2004 map DVD. You will need to update the PCM 2.1 system software in order to use the 2005 or later Map DVD's. Ideally you should use OEM update disks , do not be tempted to use bit torrent downloads as it can lock up the PCM requiring a complete new unit ! If you need any more info send me a Private message via the forum.