Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Removal of starter motor - anyone done it?

I need to replace the starter motor and I have studied the instructions in the 996 manual but it looks like a very difficult item to get access to. Has anyone actually done it and if so were any special tools needed. The bolt to the left (looking forward) of the starter motor looks impossible to reach. Any thoughts?

When replacing my alternator, I saw the starter in the cave-like hole that was left after pulling the alt out. Looks like it is a pain, but doable nonetheless. To me it just looked deep inside, but I think that with plenty of light and determination one could replace one on their own.

When replacing my alternator, I saw the starter in the cave-like hole that was left after pulling the alt out. Looks like it is a pain, but doable nonetheless. To me it just looked deep inside, but I think that with plenty of light and determination one could replace one on their own.

Thanks Deanslist

How tricky was it to remove the alternator? Think it may need to come out to gain access to the starter!

Remove the alternator, throttlebody and both intake crossover tubes to gain access to the starter. Not difficult, but will take some time to get to. Be smart and make sure you disconnect the battery. Take some digital pictures as you proceed and it will save you time when you reassemble.

Edited by 1999Porsche911

Thanks Deanslist

How tricky was it to remove the alternator? Think it may need to come out to gain access to the starter!

It took me about twenty minutes to remove the alternator, following directions I found thru the forum here. You just need to be aware of the directions things move and have the ability to manipulate them effectively, without smashing the crap out of your fingers. Otherwise, you may find yourself wrestling with removing parts. It is pretty simple, remove airbox and serpentine belt, then unbolt the two bolts on the alt...there is a bushing that requires tapping on the right to relieve pressure against a bracket, then it is a matter of rotating the alt clockwise and sliding out, then disconnect the electrical connectors. And definitely yes, don't forget to disconnect the battery...and be aware of the radio code you will have to input after getting it all back together and reconnecting the battery...which can be solved via this forum as well.

I have been very surprised so far as to how easy it is to work on my '99 compared to my '84 911 that required tools with WD40 mounts. Seems that everything was a wresting match just because of the age.

Edited by deanslist.us

I had the same issue. Starter just went bad. 99 C4 with 50K miles. Better the starter than the RMS.

I ended up doing it myself. It's been a couploe of years but from what I remember it was pretty easy. Don't forget to disconnect the battery. I took lots of pictures as I was removing and unplugging things.....that help alot.

remove airbox, throttle body, the the black manifold behind the throttle body. I do not recall removing the alternator. Once you remove all that you will see the starter....I did not even have to jack up the car...you do everything from the top.

NO special tools just long extension and swivel sockets.

It turns out that all I have to do was take the cover off my starter and blow air thru it to clean the brushes to get all the dust off and worked perfectly fine..So far no problems 10k+ miles later.....

I was really suprise how easy it was.

BTW while I had everything taken apart I cleaned my throttle body and everthing I can reach.

Good luck