Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Headers...

I was looking into buying a set of headers but I dont know If they make that big of a difference. I own an 04 boxster and as soon as a bypassed the cats I noticed a great difference. Does anyone have headers installed in there boxster? Any brands recommended? Danke

I was looking into buying a set of headers but I dont know If they make that big of a difference. I own an 04 boxster and as soon as a bypassed the cats I noticed a great difference. Does anyone have headers installed in there boxster? Any brands recommended? Danke

As you’ve probably found, there’s lots of debate on the merits of aftermarket headers, I’ve only read of one guy who got a semi-verifiable significant boost with headers and I believe it was in conjunction with a complete exhaust system. (and more?).

In general (with few exceptions) it seems that headers alone give you about a 2% hp boost at best and sometimes degrade performance. So you’re talking $600 per horsepower. It would seem Porsche really got it right with there design.

Regards, PK

Guest carpediemgr

european laws protect nature so the manufacturers put headers wich place the car inside the limits of exhaust dirts.

i think with a good quallity headers the cars can "breathe" better and you can see a small deference in acceleration and the rope of the car goes to lower rpm . But with a 2.7 or 3.2 engine be carefull because the headers have O2 sensors and if the headers are not good you will have engine warning lights ... and more consumption :)

you have to pay to have a good resault not with Ebay headers of 120-130-$ i think you will have many problems with cheap tunning parts

the truth is that you will have a very nice sound from a good headers and a good exhaust and you will be proud of it !!

maybe a gemballa .... :) 3000$ for muffler and headers for that gorgeous DB sound of them ...

Edited by carpediemgr

• 2 weeks later...

I have to disagree. I bought a set of headers from e-Bay for ~$130 hoping for the best but expecting the worse. I figured that at worst I would have wasted a couple of days of manual labor and $130, but I'd learn a lot about my car in the process. The build quality was excellent and the welds looked very good. After consulting many people on this board during installation, I was pleasantly surprised at the improved and sound and even more surprised at the improved throttle response and possible increase in hp. I say possible because this is strictly from my perception of how the car is driving and not from any dyno results. Of course there were some downsides. Don't expect any kind of support from the seller for this kind of price. Luckily, there are people like Dana, Stefan, Bruce on this board that are willing to help. There were also one fit issue. The connections to the block and cats were all fine. There was some interference with the underbody panel on the passenger side. I had to slightly modify the underbody panel and the metal brace that it connects to. Other than that it was well worth the money. I think I would have happily paid 2x the price. Here's a link with a terrific write up by Dana.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...amp;#entry91889

I feel compelled to add that the person I bought the headers from must have bought one from Fabspeed and copied the design, because they look almost identical (on eBay). I have no clue as to the quality control that this person has so I may have been lucky with the headers I received. But then again, perhaps all his headers are made to the exacting standard. I am in no way affiliated with any of the people selling on eBay. For me it was well worth the $; for others the additional $500+ for a "brand name" headers might be worth the peace of mind.

Edited by pomocanthus

Hi - I'm looking into making my '99 2.5 Boxster into an SCCA ITR race car and really am curious about the verified performance increases a built exhuast makes. Not worried about how much $$ - my concern is that most of the ads are BS and I could spend $3K to make 10HP. I'd take that money and buy new tires every race and be quicker or buy some really top line shocks - JRZ or Motons.

Thanks

PS - if there is a Boxster race thread please send me there :-) Newb on this site

Hi - I'm looking into making my '99 2.5 Boxster into an SCCA ITR race car and really am curious about the verified performance increases a built exhuast makes. Not worried about how much $$ - my concern is that most of the ads are BS and I could spend $3K to make 10HP. I'd take that money and buy new tires every race and be quicker or buy some really top line shocks - JRZ or Motons.

Thanks

PS - if there is a Boxster race thread please send me there :-) Newb on this site

I put the stainless steel headers on my 2.5 and i don't notice any difference at all. Except that i hear a rattle in the exhaust.

I believe money would be better spent on lightening the car. If you want you could do some internal mods to the engine but

i think the 2.5 is really tapped out. Good Luck Would the rules allow you to Twin Turbo the car?

http://www.lnengineering.com/boxster.html

http://www.imagineauto.com/996TTbuild.htm

Thanks for the info on your header install.

The rules allow exhaust, intake and a .040 bore over, weight reduction to 2850, any suspension using stock mounting points and safety equipment. No internal engine changes or forced induction permitted.

The car will race against cars that are roughly 200-240 hp at the crank ranging from 2700 - 3200 pounds.

I think the Boxster will be the best handler of the lot. The 968 was very tempting but I bought a 97 Boxster - one of the first built and have always loved these cars.

Anybody else see any full header back upgrades achieving any remarkable HP?

The rules allow exhaust, intake and a .040 bore over, weight reduction to 2850, any suspension using stock mounting points and safety equipment. No internal engine changes or forced induction permitted.

The car will race against cars that are roughly 200-240 hp at the crank ranging from 2700 - 3200 pounds.

I think the Boxster will be the best handler of the lot. The 968 was very tempting but I bought a 97 Boxster - one of the first built and have always loved these cars.

some info may be found here:

the oldest boxster racing site

http://www.boxcar-racing.com/forum/

this is a newer site about spec boxster

http://www.boxsterspecracing.org/home/inde...p?location=home

aloha

steve