Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Slight Squeek from motor when clutch engaged

Yesterday when i took the car out i noticed upon start-up a squeeking coming from the rear of the car. Upon playing around figured out that this little "squeek" is only there while the clutch is engaged. For some time i have been suspect as to if my clutch had issues or not due to a very high engagement point in the pedal travel but since the car exibited none of the tell tale signs of clutch failure just figured it was in my head. My only concern now is that in waiting to fix a worn clutch the squeek is from the flywheel. Anyone have any input?

Yesterday when i took the car out i noticed upon start-up a squeeking coming from the rear of the car. Upon playing around figured out that this little "squeek" is only there while the clutch is engaged. For some time i have been suspect as to if my clutch had issues or not due to a very high engagement point in the pedal travel but since the car exibited none of the tell tale signs of clutch failure just figured it was in my head. My only concern now is that in waiting to fix a worn clutch the squeek is from the flywheel. Anyone have any input?

Are you saying that you get a continuos squeek while the clutch is "ebgaged"? This means that the pedal is all the way up. Or do you mean that there is a squeek while either engaging or disengaging the clutch? If the later, most probable cause is a bad release lever. Porsche has a very poor design for this. Unless it is binding on release, other than the noise, it will cause no problems for you. There is a TSB issued for this for your 99. Replace with the new design when you need a new clutch kit.

A more accurate decription would be helpful.

Edited by 1999Porsche911

sorry to have been so vague and thanks for the reply, the squeeking sounds similar to when a belt squeeks on a motor just not as loud. When the clutch is pushed to the floor (and the entire time it is down there) there is a ssssqqqqquuuuueeeeekkkkkkkk noise coming from somewhere in the rear of the car. Unfortunately since i was by myself at the time i was not able to engage the clutch (push it in) and get to the back of the car to investigate.

My fear is that you hear of a clutch going far enough to actually damage the flywheel and if my car were to this point what would that sound like. Is that possibly the cause of this "mystery noise"? I just dont want to be doing damage to the vehicle, but also dont want to freak out at a little noise from the rear end if it is potentially nothing.

Thanks again....

sorry to have been so vague and thanks for the reply, the squeeking sounds similar to when a belt squeeks on a motor just not as loud. When the clutch is pushed to the floor (and the entire time it is down there) there is a ssssqqqqquuuuueeeeekkkkkkkk noise coming from somewhere in the rear of the car. Unfortunately since i was by myself at the time i was not able to engage the clutch (push it in) and get to the back of the car to investigate.

My fear is that you hear of a clutch going far enough to actually damage the flywheel and if my car were to this point what would that sound like. Is that possibly the cause of this "mystery noise"? I just dont want to be doing damage to the vehicle, but also dont want to freak out at a little noise from the rear end if it is potentially nothing.

Thanks again....

Well, the only part of the clutch system that is moving and would most likely create a noise when the opedal is fully depressed is the throwout bearing (release bearing). In most case, is the bearing is bad, you will begin to hear the noise as you depress the pedal.

BTW: A clutch is considered "engaged" when the pedal is NOT depressed. Engaged means that the clutch disc is in full contact with the flywheel, therefore engaging the transmission to the engine.