Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

A picture is worth a thousand words!

Hi all, well just got the 996 back from PCI after they fixed fuel hose...

(Story in old post, Porsche Ireland what a joke)

Anyway got the car back from them on Friday & on Saturday, the Warning light started to Flash.

I hope the problem is what it says in the manual (engine-compartment blower failed)

& NOT what I think it is... Because I don't think PCI will want to fix this problem for free :)

So here are some photos, can any of you guys take a guess? What do you all think?

Many thanks...

post-26847-1201597966.jpg

post-26847-1201597993.jpg

post-26847-1201598016.jpg

Edited by JamesD

I forsee a new engine in your near future. Could be a couple of things, such as the porous block problem, a slipped sleeve, or a bad oil cooler. I would have it towed to your nearest dealership.

There are quite a few articles on the site about that problem. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=15003

Edited by bhussung

I forsee a new engine in your near future. Could be a couple of things, such as the porous block problem, a slipped sleeve, or a bad oil cooler. I would have it towed to your nearest dealership.

There are quite a few articles on the site about that problem. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=15003

Good luck with that JamesD! Keep us posted!

Hi all, well just got the 996 back from PCI after they fixed fuel hose & put on the right front bumper...

(Story in old post, Porsche Ireland what a joke)

Anyway got the car back from them on Friday & on Saturday, the Warning light started to Flash.

I hope the problem is what it says in the manual (engine-compartment blower failed)

& NOT what I think it is... Because I don't think PCI will want to fix this problem for free :)

So here are some photos, can any of you guys take a guess? What do you all think?

Many thanks...

James:

That sure looks like coolant mixed with oil. What's worse is that it is also showing up at the oil filler pipe.

I hope it's the lesser of all evils, i.e., that the oil cooler seals have failed and are allowing the oil to mix with the coolant.

Keep us posted.

Regards, Maurice.

Well guys have the car booked into Porsche for a check up on Mon next, but think its maybe pointless,

I think they are just going to tell me what i all ready know, & give me a report.

So I will bring it back to the garage where I got the car 4 months ago.

It's like this, I bought the car 4 months ago for €70k with 66400 miles and a (3 months 6000 miles warranty)

Then less than 650 miles & 4 months later BANG the engine's gone...

Was I cheated...

I'm really dishearten with Porsches all together, back in Feb 07 I got my first Porsche a Boxster

which was noting but trouble always in the garage, had it for only 6 months, then I decide to get the big daddy,

the icon 911, & it dies after 60k something miles, rubbish, these cars are only made for the weekend, I dont care what,

everybody say they are NOT everyday sports cars, & they are NOT of a good Quality build (for a German car)...

So now I will have to get a another car & as much as it hurts me to say it I dont think it will be a Porsche,

I'm looking at a 2003/2004 Black Merc. SL350 boring, I know. I would love to get an other beautifully Porsche but I just dont think

people can trust them, they will only break your heart, (bit like women)

Plus I'm too embarrassed to tell my friends I got a 3rd Porsche in 1 year...

So there I said it... I will keep you's all informed of the situation...

Well guys have the car booked into Porsche for a check up on Mon next, but think its maybe pointless,

I think they are just going to tell me what i all ready know, & give me a report.

It's like this, I bought the car 4 months ago for €70k with 66400 miles and a (3 months 6000 miles warranty)

Was I cheated...

I'm really dishearten with Porsches all together, back in Feb 07 I got my first Porsche a Boxster

which was noting but trouble always in the garage, had it for only 6 months, then I decide to get the big daddy,

the icon 911, & it dies after 60k something miles, rubbish, these cars are only made for the weekend, I dont care what,

everybody say they are NOT everyday sports cars, & they are NOT of a good Quality build (for a German car)...

So now I will have to get a another car & as much as it hurts me to say it I dont think it will be a Porsche,

I'm looking at a 2003/2004 Black Merc. SL350 boring, I know. I would love to get an other beautifully Porsche but I just dont think

You can't just give up on us like this. Don't you understand that we ALL hate our Porsches deep down inside? We all know they're worth about half what they cost, maintenance costs twice what it should, and they eat our insides like canopy termites. You need to just grit your teeth and bear it like the rest of us.

Honestly, though, I feel as though you got very unlucky in your Porsche experience(s) and it's a shame you're leaving with disappointment. So far I've been very lucky, and generally very content with mine. That aside, now I'm REALLY hoping your Mercedes works fine. Did you get a PPI on the Porsches, by the way?

I agree, better do research on MB before assuming they are more reliable.

As personal examples, it's no statistically valid (except to me, perhaps) but I owned a MB E320 and an SLK 230 and both had constant nagging issues that typically ran from $1500-$2000 per year at the dealership to maintain. The SLK had 3 MAF failures, one every 12-18 months. So did the E320. Window regulators, sticky convertible top, gasket leaks, etc...

I wish MB would stop stuffing their cars with so much electronic gadgetry that it all starts going to hell as soon as the warranty expires. I'd sooner buy a 'back to basics' MB without all the electonic crap but built more solidly with higher quality materials, insde and out, like they were in times past. I supsect the merger with Chrysler was a huge distraction as well.

If reliability is very important then I suspect Toyota/Lexus is at th top of the food chain. I wish the SC 430 did what my 911 does for me in terms of excitement, as I suspect the SC 430 is a more reliable car, but for some reason, it doesn't generate the same excitement for me, even though its quite fast with its well-engineered v8 (maybe one reason why it seems less exciting to me is the Lexus engine is so smooth you barely sense it).

John

Well guy's I just drove home from work tonight,

& wow I forgot all the problems & argument I've had with my beloved 996,

she drove so well,so responsive, & the sound well she sounded so'ooo sweet,

Some guy even took a picture of the car in traffic, 2nd time this week :)

I really do hope that it's just the oil cooler seals that have failed, & not a cracked cylinder! wishful thinking,

because deep down inside I don't want to let her go... it's an unfaithful love affair :)

& so if I dont get to keep her, what should I get? if not a boring Merc, SL350 what then.

I cant think of anything else, the 911 is what I wanted, that or a Lamborghini, & thats not one for the super market car park...

Edited by JamesD

You have already reached the pinnacle of car ownership with the 911. You have to be committed for the long haul. This problem is most likely just the car trying to get your attention and let you know that it is in charge.

Car: "Who's your daddy now, huh???!"

You: "You are."

Enjoy!

Chris

• 3 months later...

Was I cheated...