Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

help on installing a 3.6 in a 99 carrera

Any help would be greatly appreciated i have a 99' carrera and would like install a 3.6 in it (already have it) Ive been reading but cant get solid answers what do i need to make it work i mean for a daily driving car i also read something about aftermarket controller boxes for the variocam plus were would i get something like that and remapping the ecu is that something that only the dealer does or can a specified shop do it any help would be greatly appreciated and please feel free to elaborate as much as possible on what is best

Any help would be greatly appreciated i have a 99' carrera and would like install a 3.6 in it (already have it) Ive been reading but cant get solid answers what do i need to make it work i mean for a daily driving car i also read something about aftermarket controller boxes for the variocam plus were would i get something like that and remapping the ecu is that something that only the dealer does or can a specified shop do it any help would be greatly appreciated and please feel free to elaborate as much as possible on what is best

Hi there

I´m doing a bit similar conversion (a MY99 996 and 3.8 engine from 2006 Carrera S). In the end I decided to buy a 7.8 DME, but have not found time to find out how to plug the DME into the old DME harness (the connectors are different). The engine harness plugs, after a very short initial verification, are very similar, the old plug obviously lacks the variocam controller line. I contacted one company in South Africa (who are the manufacturers of a piggybag controller), but in the end I decided to go for the route to replace the DME, ABS controller, instrument cluster etc. to have a factory alike installation - just like Todd has made with his Boxter (a MY99, now with 3.6 engine)

Due to too much work right now, I don´t have time to do anything, but my idea is to install the engine in the end of February...

I will post any progress, but if somebody is doing the same before........

Saludos

Kare

by dme do you mean the computer on the back of the car the one under the rear glass and seats one or both? why did you not perferr the other route with the variocam plus connectors piggyback things .......can you send me info on theses products ..... so with theses piggyback variocam controllers do you keep your stock computers and harness ect what must be programmed :help: sorry im just good with the wrenches jajaja

by dme do you mean the computer on the back of the car the one under the rear glass and seats one or both? why did you not perferr the other route with the variocam plus connectors piggyback things .......can you send me info on theses products ..... so with theses piggyback variocam controllers do you keep your stock computers and harness ect what must be programmed :help: sorry im just good with the wrenches jajaja

Do a search on this site, I seem to recall someone else was doing it, but it never ran right. There was a lot of retrofitting and pat change outs, needed to get the job done correctly.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't even know what the DME is you are probably in way over your head. Fitting a 3.6 to an early car is not a mechanical problem, it is purely electronics.

I have provided the details on how it can be done with either a piggy back controller or the factory way in several posts on this site, use the search function and you will find the details are there.

Todd

I'd highly recommend using a shop where they specialize in engine swaps. I had my 2000 Boxster fitted with a 3.4 and a buddy had his 99 C2 fitted with a 3.6. The results are fantastic, and you get the support of the shop. They've already made most of the mistakes you'd likely make doing it on your own. Let their experience work in your favor.

-Michael

la porsche dismantelers sent me this is this right for a conversion?????

"Brian quoted an engine a week ago, please let us know if you have any questions.Thanks!

99 996

3.6 Engine Conversion Ecu alarm Brain and Harness --

DUE TO OVERWHELMING REQUESTS, WE ARE SOMETIMES SLOW AT ANSWERINGEMAIL, CALL FOR URGENT QUESTIONS. Los Angeles Dismantler (for Porsche 911 & Boxster)9819 Glenoaks Blvd, Sun Valley, CA 91352(818) POR-SCHE (767-7243)http://911pcar.com100% EBAY FEEDBACK! losangelesporschedismantler LA Porsche specializes in late model used salvage cars, used parts &new parts for 911 & Boxster. If your part is not in stock now, checkback, we get new inventory on a regular basis and your part could becoming soon!

for $10,000 they said this is all i would need for the conversion, is this right any comments? any other programming, should i trust them?

Dan,

I am the guy Michael is referring to here. The tuner that put the 3.4 in his boxster also put a 3.6 in my 1999 996 that normally would have a 3.4. Mine runs right and pretty darn strong if I don't mind saying so. Unless you are a really good mechanic this is not a DIY. There are a couple of techniques to get this done; none are wrong but some are more stock appearing than others. Get a hold of someone who has done it before. There isn't room for guess work here, just a few valid approaches to interfacing the newer engine to an older chassis.

Also... the junkyard wants to charge to $10k for exactly what?? the installation and conversion labor (that is much more than 2x what it should cost) ? Your 1st post says that you already have the actual engine correct?

Good luck..

-Paul

I'd highly recommend using a shop where they specialize in engine swaps. I had my 2000 Boxster fitted with a 3.4 and a buddy had his 99 C2 fitted with a 3.6. The results are fantastic, and you get the support of the shop. They've already made most of the mistakes you'd likely make doing it on your own. Let their experience work in your favor.

-Michael

Edited by pjalexandre

What would be the recommended DME for my 3.8 S engine swap ( my car is MY99 C2 cabrio). I have possibility to get resonable priced 997S DME or 996 7.8 version.

What is the principal difference on these DMEs?

I know that the more advanced the car gets, more complicated the modifications. So I was wondering if the 997 S DME is too complicated for my car...

I also need to purchase the A/C control unit, and the ABS control unit. Do the latest model 996 ones (for 3.6 engine) work with the 997 S DME?

And the last question, can the CAN bus cables be made, or do I have tobuy them from Porsche?

Thanks and saludos

Kare

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't even know what the DME is you are probably in way over your head. Fitting a 3.6 to an early car is not a mechanical problem, it is purely electronics.

I have provided the details on how it can be done with either a piggy back controller or the factory way in several posts on this site, use the search function and you will find the details are there.

Todd