Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Flywheel Lock Tool, IMS Install Tools

Well the flywheel lock didn't seem to fit correctly. When inserted into the FW teeth the bolt sort of began to bind in the case so I did not force it. I only grabbed maybe 1 thread and proceeded with a impact wrench....all was good....FW came off and the case bolt hole was unaffected. BUT....getting the FW back on and torquing it down maybe another issue. Any tips on how to get the tool on to allow the bolt to be tighten up without any binding or chance of cross threading the hole? I tried to jockey the FW around so it would line up but couldn't do it. While I'm having my run of bad luck with tools let me mention another I'm having a hard time with. The P253 Cam Timing tool ....I tried to get the tool in the exhaust and intake cam ends on bank 2 and couldn't get the lower(exhaust) fitting to get into the vertical cam groove. First I locked the engine At TDC and tried....didn't work ....then I figured....well maybe my timing is off in the first place so I jockeyed the crank shaft at a little before TDC a little after TDC just to see if would fit ever....could't do it ...the bolt that fixes the tool to the engine case was off couldn't thread the bolt! Any thoughts on this....seems like it would straight forward...lock eng at TDC drop the tool in to check the cams to crank alignment and so forth I mean what are the chances I'm out of time to start with? I dont know. Thanks V

• Moderators
1 hour ago, vza said:

Well the flywheel lock didn't seem to fit correctly. When inserted into the FW teeth the bolt sort of began to bind in the case so I did not force it. I only grabbed maybe 1 thread and proceeded with a impact wrench....all was good....FW came off and the case bolt hole was unaffected. BUT....getting the FW back on and torquing it down maybe another issue. Any tips on how to get the tool on to allow the bolt to be tighten up without any binding or chance of cross threading the hole? I tried to jockey the FW around so it would line up but couldn't do it. While I'm having my run of bad luck with tools let me mention another I'm having a hard time with. The P253 Cam Timing tool ....I tried to get the tool in the exhaust and intake cam ends on bank 2 and couldn't get the lower(exhaust) fitting to get into the vertical cam groove. First I locked the engine At TDC and tried....didn't work ....then I figured....well maybe my timing is off in the first place so I jockeyed the crank shaft at a little before TDC a little after TDC just to see if would fit ever....could't do it ...the bolt that fixes the tool to the engine case was off couldn't thread the bolt! Any thoughts on this....seems like it would straight forward...lock eng at TDC drop the tool in to check the cams to crank alignment and so forth I mean what are the chances I'm out of time to start with? I dont know. Thanks V

We own multiple factory flywheel locking tools (for different applications) and none of them bind up or have threading issues; they all simply drop right in and the bolt easily threads in with two fingers.

What year and model is the car you are working on?  The SIR P253 only fits certain years.  It is also a cam timing tool (used for cam allocation), not a cam holding tool (used when the cam cover is being removed), which is completely different.

99 Boxster Base Yeah ...don't know whats up with the FW lock, it 's for a 99 boxster base...bolt did not thread easily. Yes, I wanted to check the cam timing with the P253 and was also going to use to hold the cams...Pelican said it was fine.??. Worked on it some today...I was able to get it to click in both cams after much jockeying around. But still was not able to bolt it to the case ....holes didn't line up. Went over to bank 1 and was able to hold with my left hand while turning the crank and felt it click in at the same spot bank 2 did.....and...was not able to bolt bank 1 either. Now the interesting thing is, that both sides do click in but not at TDC ....after they're in it seems I'm a few degrees after TDC on both sides. Now how are both cams out of sync at the same exact place(few degrees beyond TDC) I can only think the tool is off if its measuring the same for both sides and it can't ever be attached to the case. Now ...when I picked up the car (after purchase) I drove it home for 2 hours in this same condition.... I'm hoping there isn't any damaging effects if it is in fact out. Didn't notice any oddities in driving it. Any thoughts....trying to curb my obsession!! Thanks Again. V