Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 TT OEM exhaust removal

Just received a new aftermarket exhaust (Fabspeed Maxflo) for my '02 996TT and am doing the install myself. Everything has gone well, as expected, but ran into a snag with the stock muffler clamps. I removed the hex bolts from the clamps but can't seem to break them free from where they attach on the other side. I believe they attach to a bracket on the back of the mufflers but have tried to manipulate them in all directions with no luck. I know I'm overlooking something pretty minor.....please take it easy on me!! :D

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

--Chris

I think you will love your new exhaust. I took my 2003 TT to the dealer for the install of my Fabspeed system and they broke one of my oxygen sensors. It took four trips to get that fixed. Needless to say, I don't go to the dealer any more. I wish that I had changed it myself. Beware of the weight of the stock muffler, it's a hoss! Make sure you have help when it comes loose. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
Just received a new aftermarket exhaust (Fabspeed Maxflo) for my '02 996TT and am doing the install myself. Everything has gone well, as expected, but ran into a snag with the stock muffler clamps. I removed the hex bolts from the clamps but can't seem to break them free from where they attach on the other side. I believe they attach to a bracket on the back of the mufflers but have tried to manipulate them in all directions with no luck. I know I'm overlooking something pretty minor.....please take it easy on me!! :D

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

--Chris

You need to use a long screwdriver/pry-bar and slide the stock muffler clamps off of the mounting plate at the top and bottom. It is a pain sometimes. I don't think there is much of a trick, just patience.

There are two bands that have tightening hardware.....loosen the bands and slide them to the outside on each side. I fought with them for about 30 minutes before I realized that all I had to do was slide them to the side....no need to completely disconnect the clamps. Once they have been moved over to the side, the muffler should come loose so be ready to take the weight....make sure you disconnect the O2 sensors and put them up and out of the way so you don't rip the wires off when the muffler drops.

There are two bands that have tightening hardware.....loosen the bands and slide them to the outside on each side. I fought with them for about 30 minutes before I realized that all I had to do was slide them to the side....no need to completely disconnect the clamps. Once they have been moved over to the side, the muffler should come loose so be ready to take the weight....make sure you disconnect the O2 sensors and put them up and out of the way so you don't rip the wires off when the muffler drops.

I'm in the same situation. I'm just about to install my fabspeed. Have been looking at the bolts holding the exhaust onto the turbo's and they look very rusty. Have tried giving them a quick turn but they are solid.

Have u got any tips re getting these off. Did you heat them up ?

Andy

I'm in the same situation. I'm just about to install my fabspeed. Have been looking at the bolts holding the exhaust onto the turbo's and they look very rusty. Have tried giving them a quick turn but they are solid.

Have u got any tips re getting these off. Did you heat them up ?

Andy

I sprayed some PB Blaster on those 8 bolts the night before I was rerady to tackle the project so they soaked overnight. Bolts came right off no problems at all.