Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Alarm tilt Sensor logging errors / false alarm- need help

So my alarm has been randomly going off when locked and sitting idle. Happens mostly when the tempurature changes throughout the day.

I bought a Durametric scanner to try and track down the offending sensor, and initally thought it was the interior sensor. I replaced it, and it is still falsing.

Now when I look at the durametric I saw that error code 54 for the tilt sensor had incremented by one count, and noted with "not in idle position"

Does my '02 US car have a tilt sensor and where is it located?

post-18798-1204919048_thumb.png

post-18798-1204919094_thumb.png

Edited by p0rsch3

US spec cars don't normally have the tilt sensor and alarm siren fitted. Only UK and Belgium get them as standard. That's not to say that one couldn't be fitted afterwards.

The sensor and siren are located to the right hand side of the battery (as you look at it). The tilt sensor was originally mounted on top of the siren. They often fill up with water, and the replacement for the original is rewired and fitted under the left hand seat near the alarm control module.

US spec cars don't normally have the tilt sensor and alarm siren fitted. Only UK and Belgium get them as standard. That's not to say that one couldn't be fitted afterwards.

The sensor and siren are located to the right hand side of the battery (as you look at it). The tilt sensor was originally mounted on top of the siren. They often fill up with water, and the replacement for the original is rewired and fitted under the left hand seat near the alarm control module.

I looked by the battery and there is only the alarm siren. no other wires present, empty plugs, sensors, etc. odd???

I just remembered Tool Pants posted a photo: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...ost&p=79568

Looks like I got it the wrong way round - the tilt sensor (in the whitish box) is underneath the siren.

Yes it is odd. I had the usual tilt sensor full of water, which was causing a wierd problem (the siren was chirping when I locked or unlocked the car) but it didn't show up with any fault at all with the PST2.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

I just remembered Tool Pants posted a photo: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...ost&p=79568

Looks like I got it the wrong way round - the tilt sensor (in the whitish box) is underneath the siren.

Yes it is odd. I had the usual tilt sensor full of water, which was causing a wierd problem (the siren was chirping when I locked or unlocked the car) but it didn't show up with any fault at all with the PST2.

hmm- I wonder why I would be logging a tilt sensor error if I don't have one?

• Admin

Fault code 54 Radio receiver defective

Do you have an after market radio?

Fault code 33 Passenger compartment: monitoring sensor faulty

Bad passenger compartment sensor?

Fault code 42 Wrong key or wrong transponder pill

Sometime a bad transmitter battery will give this code - especially if you reset it by reversing the battery.

Fault code 60 Central locking limit position 'Locked' not reached

Most often caused by not having the door shut all the way and hitting the lock button.

Personally I would erase these codes and see if they come back.

Fault code 54 Radio receiver defective

Do you have an after market radio?

Fault code 33 Passenger compartment: monitoring sensor faulty

Bad passenger compartment sensor?

Fault code 42 Wrong key or wrong transponder pill

Sometime a bad transmitter battery will give this code - especially if you reset it by reversing the battery.

Fault code 60 Central locking limit position 'Locked' not reached

Most often caused by not having the door shut all the way and hitting the lock button.

Personally I would erase these codes and see if they come back.

Thanks Loren-

I cannot erase alarm faults with duramteric, but they do show count increments.

I replaced the compartment sensor

42 and 60 have been there for a long time so i'm confident that is not it.

so 54 is the radio and not tilt sensor eh? so much for Durametric accuracy.

I do have an aftermarket NAV / DVD unit (Kenwood) - Odd that I have had it installed for some time before the false alarms started.

Should the wire for the radio alarm be grounded to body, attached to the kenwood chassis or simply taped up and tucked away? I will pull out the radio and have a look.

Durametric usually fixes errors pretty quick when folks tell them about the error.

NAV/Radio wire (when using after market) -- Taped up and tucked away.

Thanks again Loren. It could be the wire is somehow touching something and setting off the alarm, will have a look at it and post my findings.

The engineer at Durametric (his name is "Duram" if you can believe it.. heh) is a really nice guy, i'm going to let him know about the incorrect code.

Edited by p0rsch3

The radio/nav wire is in the connector plug (unless you cut it off).

do you happen to know the wire color? I did not cut off my plugs, I simply tapped into the wires with scotch-locks. Seemed more sane to do it that way. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Look for a Brown/Blue wire from the original radio connector and remove the pin and tape it (or cut and tape the wire).

Loren- I think that was it. Pulled the radio and I had left the blue/brown wire attached to the radio chassis bracket connector. There is a factory spade connector on the radio mount bracket that the wire plugs in to, and a piece of metal makes conact with the body of the aftermarket radio. The wire comes out of the bundle of wires for the intermittent wipers.

I unplugged the wire and taped it up, I will know in a couple of days if this resolved the issue.