Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

997C2S exhaust, 1 side more "contaminated" then other

Hi, I have a 997 C2S, production date june 2007, and I bought it new in November.

It currently has 1300 miles on it, and I added 0.5ltr of Mobil1 at around 600 miles, since then no oil consumption according to the oil level indicator....

When I look to the rear of the car, and look at both sets of exhaust pipes, there is a difference in "coloring" between the two sides.

The Left side is a lot more black, and the right side, a lot more gray-ish.....

Should I conclude that the right side cylinder bank (which I believe corresponds with the left set pipes) "spits" out more oil or other contamination...??

Anybody else seen this before??

Thanks a lot, Pete :renntech:

post-19945-1205127460_thumb.jpg

Hi, I have a 997 C2S, production date june 2007, and I bought it new in November.

It currently has 1300 miles on it, and I added 0.5ltr of Mobil1 at around 600 miles, since then no oil consumption according to the oil level indicator....

When I look to the rear of the car, and look at both sets of exhaust pipes, there is a difference in "coloring" between the two sides.

Should I conclude that the right side cylinder bank (which I believe corresponds with the left set pipes) "spits" out more oil or other contamination...??

My hat is off to you for noticing this. There are a number of things this could be but considering your car is new I would get it back to the dealer for a check. As modern engine technology would have it, i would not say this is just a case of ring seat. I am more inclined to say your mapping might be running left cylinders too lean. IMO. I will take what what I am seeing on the right bank any day over the left. Worst case would be a broken ring which would cause oil to pass and also contaminate your cat.

Hi Pete,

I have a 2008 997 C2S, production late September that I bought New in November. I have racked up 4100 miles so far. Early on, I noticed the same thing you see; more soot on the left side. After about 2500 miles, things evened out.

Oil consumption steadily declined up to about 2500 miles; at first it used oil at a rate of about 1Q/2000 miles, not it is a rate of 1Q/3500 miles. I think you may not yet have the motor broken in. During the first 2000 miles, I always drove the car long enough for the oil temp to stabilize at 200 for at least 15-20 minutes. Pretty much never drove it less than 1/2 hour per start. I think this may have helped.

Best of luck and enjoy the car,

Ron

Hi, thanks to all for the replies and advice.

Just to give some more info:

I live in Boise, Idaho, and I took delivery of the car in early December, since then we have had snow on the ground (or very cold conditions with sandy roads) for almost entire December January and February.

I was able to take the car out 1 time in December, and as of the last 2 weeks, a little more frequent. They have started to sweep the roads.

I never drive less then 20minutes, make sure the car is warm on both water and oil, and if this is the case, I do get on it.

I did not go above 4100rpm till after ~650miles, and then in about ~250miles I started moving up in rpm's (again if the car was both warm on water and oil).

Currently I am at ~1300miles and have started to redline (running through the gears) it occasionally when the car is hot.

I would be interested to hear if I need to do anything else (driving wise), or what is considered as a longer haul or trip.

I always used Chevron fuel, recently started using Shell V-power, but am thinking that I will switch back to Chevron, as I just noticed that Shell here uses 10% Ethanol in their V-power.

Thanks again, Pete