Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What brand of gas do you use?

What brand of gasoline do you use? Does anyone use the so-called "No-name" brand at the local corner convenient store? I would like to know why you use your particular type of gas. I am not referring to Super unleaded and such, but the type of filling station you buy your gas from.

I would appreciate your response.

What brand of gasoline do you use? Does anyone use the so-called "No-name" brand at the local corner convenient store? I would like to know why you use your particular type of gas. I am not referring to Super unleaded and such, but the type of filling station you buy your gas from.

I use whatever I can find to be the cheapest. Do a search on the internet. You will find that the is really no difference between no name fuels and branded fuels. Fuel has to meet certain standards by law. Some branded may add a little more detergeant, but still have to meet the octane and minimum fuel additives as per gov't regulations.

jsoto,

Use Chevron, has one of the best additives for keeping fuel system clean with techron .I don't have any association with CHEVRON, but have never had a fuel problem with their gas ever in any car I drive. here in california I undersatand they use only their refined fuel vs the independents who buy their fuel from the "less expensive" source.

demosan

+1 for chevron..watch out for the 10% ethanol mixture crap that makes you lose acceleration and power...the local diamond shamrocks/valeros have them..not sure who else. I would assume shell would be good to since Porsche is sponsored by them.

I use Shell Gasoline. Why, because with the Shell VISA card we get 5% off all gas purchases. At $3.00/gal that is $.15, and gas is only going up. Sometimes I see other brands for less that Shell, but seldom 5% less.

It all comes down to octane and the additives they use. It all is pumped through same pipelines to different parts of the country. Each company just buys time on the line. So if you feel Shell has the best additives then buy Shell. In my experience Shell and Chevron seem to work best in my car. I have had CEL come on in past from no-name places. Plus hard to tell if octane they say is really what it is. Mainly comes down to how reputable the chain is to me.

+1 for chevron..

+1 more for Chevron. Everyone always says "gas is gas". I've noticed I don't get as good mileage with some other brands (Mobil) compared to Chevron. When I cleaned my throttle body at 51K miles, it wasn't nearly as gunked up as I expected it would be based on all the pictures I've seen. Not sure how much the Techron added to Chevron gas had to do with that, but I'm not complaining :D

I travel a lot for work. I parked at an off-airport parking lot (cheap) outside LAX, and took the shuttle bus to the terminal. For some reason, one day the subject of gas came up among the passengers and driver. I think the topic was gas mileage and how well cars run. The bus driver said he found cars in general run better with Chevron than other brands, and get better mileage. Of the 5 or 6 passengers, at least 4 said they agreed with the driver. Totally unscientific survey FWIW, but interesting if you would have been there. It was especially surprising to see so many people agree on one thing

I currently use Shell, but would use Chevron if it was more readily available in Northern VA.

A friend of mine said she had injector problems with her truck. Once she started using Chevron, the problems when away. Apparently, Shell and Chevron's additives really help the car's overall performance.

I use 76 - they have 100 octane and 91 octane here in California.

I mix ~ 4 Gal of 100 octane with the remainder of 91 octane.

Shell or Chevron myself, but in a pinch I use a cheap place to fill up. But normally not more than once a month.

I go to a few 76 stations in southern cal and have not seen 100 octane.

Would like to try it. Is there a website or some way to find out what stations

carry it?

Everyone - thanks for your info.

I usually fill up at either a Shell or Chevron station. I seem to get the best mileage from the Chevron gas.

I was in a hurry a couple of weeks ago and filled up at a cheap place. I got about 50 miles less per tank than my average. I think it does make a difference where you buy your gas.

Shell or Chevron myself, but in a pinch I use a cheap place to fill up. But normally not more than once a month.

Gary:

The car looks great. Who did the turbochargers?

• 1 month later...

J,

I use Shell and if that is not available where I run low, any of the brands that are in the TOP TIER fuel program.

I believe the difference between brands of fuel is the additive package which can make a big difference regarding how clean the engine stays (power, power, power)

I came across an article on the internet by a PHD fuel chemist who recommended to occasionally switch to a different premium brand so that the other brand's different additive package could try and clean out deposits that your normal brand's additives could not deal with. This sounded reasonable so I run three tanks of two other premium brand's through the car a couple of times a year.

The same guy strongly recommended Chevron's fuel system cleaner (Techron). I pour a bottle of that into the tank occasionally too.

One thing the guru said that surprised me is that (he tests fuels as part of his job) injectors do not get clogged up these days on cars running premium fuels. Apparently this is a thing of the past. After reading that I stopped buying fuel injector cleaner and switched to Chevron fuel system cleaner.

Steve

I'd be very surprised if you can tell a difference in MPG from different vendors. There are too many variables in normal driving. You put your foot down once or twice more often on a tank, and there goes your comparison figures.

-James.

Also in Toronto. I use Shell 91 instead of the Sunoco 94. Sunoco achieves the 94 rating by adding up to 10% ethanol. When I used it in the past, my tailpipes had lots of sooty buildup. Shell does not put any ethanol in their 91 and its recognized as a Top Tier gasoline.

Edited by pongobaz