Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New DVD Navigation Install

Hi all,

I refinished my trim plate to match the textured plastic on the dash in my 02 996, It came out great!

Looks as close to factory as I think we can get, Now I wish I could get rid of the "Pioneer" wording on the radio.

996pio.jpg

openpoi.jpg

Edited by Marc Gelefsky

I will do a DIY on it when I get a chance. I'm up to my neck with mods right now. I installed the camera on the upper part of my license plate. If you pick a camera, be sure its a true wide angle. Don't buy the cheap stuff, you get what you pay for in most cases. I went with the 180 degrees camera. Be careful of some the threads telling you need to drill holes in your Porsche in order to get the wires to the rear. There are existing holes to run wires through, just have to get a little creative on how to get them through.

Hi,

I bought your AVIC Kit on EBAY. I am about to install it but before I do wouold you mind telling me how you installed the camera on the rear bumper? Where did you find the hole to pass the wire through? How did you get th wire it past the enegine compartment and into the cabin?

Thanks'

John

Hi John,

Thanks for buying the Kit by the way. My brother and I are very appreciative of everyone who has contributed to this thread and folks like yourself who gave us a chance and bought our kits. As for the Camera, sorry for the long delay in getting things organized. With the camera installation, you can actually do it in the order below or in reverse steps and it works fine. Hopefully, it's helpful!

Step "Prestep". Raise your Spoiler, Open the trunk, and Put Your Convertible Top in Service Position

Step 1. The License Plate

a. Remove your license plate, should be a hole behind there thats about an inch in diameter or slightly bigger

b. Take the detachable wires that came with your camera and loop it from the corner of the spoiler down to the hole behind the license plate. I used a clothes hanger and taped the tip of those wires which is the plugin jack and pushed it through until I could see it located at the hole. Then I plugged in the camera.

Step 2. The Trunk

a. There is a bolt at the top left corner of the spoiler which I used for the ground wire. Ground it there, 1 less wire you have to route to the front of your car.

b. Route the remaining wires (should be the video rca cable and the positive wire to power your camera) along the outside of the trunk space. Hide it under the rubber gasket which lines the perimeter of the trunk.

Step 3. The Rubber Gasket

a. Remove the rubber gasket located at the top left hand corner of your rear trunk hood.

b. Pierce a hole through it and pull your wires through it.

Step 4. Above the Engine Compartment

a. Now you should be on the engine compartment side

b. Route the wires along the side of the engine and avoid routing wires in areas where your wires may get pinched from the moving parts of the convertible top.

Step 5. The Door Area

a. Tuck your wires underneath the rubber lining that runs around the area where the door is located

Step 6.

a. Bring Video RCA plug to Avic

b. Plug in Positive wire to an available fuse

Here it is in pictures:

Trieullionaire

Thanks for taking the time to post your helpful reply as quickly as you did for me. Much appreciated.

John

Beautiful job, Marc!

I have just bit the bullet and preordered a AVID-F900BT and ordered an Alpine PXE-H650 sound processor. The processor will go to the trunk, in place of the CD-changer.

I have also bought the trillionaire kit off ebay just now and ordered the CD box and corresponding trim from Porsche.

When I'm finished, I'll have a CD changer, PCM1, phone module and phone headset to go to ebay and recoup some of the cost.

Will post photos of the install in my 996TT, but it'll be more than a month from now, I think, since the Pio is still not available for delivery, a couple more weeks or so.

Cheers, Luís

Just out of curiosity after installing the aftermarket units do you have any problems with the alarm system? Will you get a beep after you lock your car with the remote?

Nope, you just need to make sure the wire that controls that is not connected, there are instructions on this site.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Trieullionaire,

Writing to let you know that I too bought this kit and the workman ship is fantastic. However one question though, was the kit meant to come with the double din metal bracket/ housing? As in the one that the headunit slides into?

I never received one, so am keen to know where you got yours from. My HU never came with one either, so based on your instruction guide, I'm stuck on step 7 - fitting the 2 din housing into the plastic factory housing.

If you also one spare, may I ask would you be willing to sell it as I'm a bit lost now, with a half chiselled out dash, and nothing to fit into it!?

Keen to hear your reply, as with the job now half complete, I'm really eager to finish this off as soon as possible.

Thanks again

Daryl

Hi Tril

I also noticed that on the eBay sales, you're now offering with the kit, the "Custom Porsche 2-Din Housing (cage sleeve) Setter"

Is this the new metal housing that should be used now, and would this work instead of that metal sleave? Again, keen to hear you reply, on what other parts I now need to secure the head unit. Oh, and just to let you know, what I've got so far, is the

• Faceplates

• Porsche Custom Support Bracket, lower one with the velcro tape for stability

• Heat Shield

• "PORSCHE" Decals

• Radio removal keys included to remove existing OEM radio

• Wire harnesses

Thanks again

Daryl

You must have purchased the universal kit from my brother. The price of the universal kit reflects the cost to us vs the Pioneer kit. The universal kit doesn't come with a cage sleeve for a couple of reasons.

1. Most units of comes with one

2. We would have to keep on inventory different cage sleeves of many different brands.

The "Setter" trim just slides onto the cage sleeve & fits perfectly onto the Porsche opening, setting the height & (in most cases) the depth of the unit. The "Setter" eliminates the measuring by acting as a "stopper" for the depth of the units. As far as the height, the "Setter" is adjusted to the center of the Porsche opening, taking any guess work out of where the cage sleeve should be positioned.

Go onto Ebay & search for the brand of your HU under "cage sleeve", prices range from $20-40, depending on brand. Hope I was able to help, best wishes.

Trieullionaire

Hi ! waiing for the installation kit, I am studying the instruction an got a question to the ones that install it. As marked on this picture. The plastic housing is attach to the 2din metal housing by only tabs. What stop it to move front and rear ? http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=9&u=12506281 http://i40.servimg.com/u/f40/12/50/62/81/modifi10.jpg

post-27551-1215693465_thumb.jpg

We will be doing a DIY on the rear speaker kit for Porsche Boxster ( 1997-2004) shortly with detailed illustration (even though there's already instruction that comes with the kit). All Renntech members who would like a kit can get it from us for 130.00 free shipping (U.S, Canada & Mexico). All other orders will be charge a flat shipping fee of $15, anywhere in the world. Method of payment via Paypal.

Hi Trieullionaire,

Thanks again for your input. I definitely take your point about not being able to stock all cages. The problem I have is that located in Australia there is absolutely nothing here!!! I've even called Pioneer Australia, who actually sent me the wrong part! and then later stated, they don't even have a double din part.

As such, I seek your help and your brother's help on whether you're willing to sell a double din cage and the necessary brackets to fit. I would also love to get a setter trim also, as I'm a complete newb and am really scared of destroying my dash.

Can you please advise if this is possible, and if so, how much it would cost to ship to Australia? My zipcode is 3000.

Feel free to PM with the details if you prefer. Happy to pay by paypal or as required.

Thanks!

Daryl

• 1 month later...

We been working on a double din kit for 2005-2008 Porsche 997 & 987, it's almost complete. We've been on this project now for almost 5 months & completion is within range now. We'll be testing the kit on a 987 Cayman in the weeks to come & will document the entire process for everyone.

Trieullionaire

Euro MotorSpeed

cvt929@yahoo.com

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Daryl,

I talked to him last night, he'll be posting the kits on Friday(9-19-08). He's having some minor issues with one of his supplier, but it's resolved now. I'll past the word onto him for you. Here's his email address if you don't already have it...

cvt929@yahoo.com

Trieullionaire

Hi Trieullionaire

Emailed your brother, but hoping if you could find out when he'll release the next set of double din Pioneer AVIC kits for thr 986. My friends and I are keen to buy one, but he hasn't auctioned one for quite some time.

Thanks!

Daryl

Edited by trieullionaire

Hi all,

I refinished my trim plate to match the textured plastic on the dash in my 02 996, It came out great!

Looks as close to factory as I think we can get, Now I wish I could get rid of the "Pioneer" wording on the radio.

996pio.jpg

openpoi.jpg

How did you get the Porsche Badge to appear on the screen? If it is a downloadable file, where can I get it?

Thanks in advance, btw, awesome job on the trim piece.

John

John,

Thank you for purchasing a kit from us! I'll email you the file to upload onto your HU. I will have to agreed with you, it does look awesome with the Porsche crest & logo on the screen. We loaded the crest on ours & used decals for the Porsche scripts, but Marc's combo is way better & cleaner looking.

Best Wishes,

Trieullionaire

cvt929@yahoo.com

Hi Trieullionaire and Marc

I was hoping to get a copy of the file Porsche badge logo also. I wouldn't mind trying it with and without the lettering.

May I ask if somebody could send it to me at daryl-wong@hotmail.com?

Thank you

ps. Trieullionaire, thanks for passing the word to your brother. I'll keep on checking his store on eBay each day and will get the the AVIC unit once it pops up. Cheers!

Marc, What did you use the refinish the bezel like that? Looks awesome!

Cheers,

Paul.

Hi all,

996pio.jpg

openpoi.jpg

Hi everybody,

I'm still digging out the web to find a solution for my BOSE + MOST car, before I purchase Trieullionnaire's kit....

I've found this link :

http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/detail/d=Autolea.../jumpToFirst=t/

Do you think it's possible to just connecr thos adapter between my Bose amp and the Avic HU ?

And what about the Most bus ?

Thanks a lot.

Try this link:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?a...st&id=12523

The MOST bus is a fiber optic bus that connects the radio, the external amp (if installed), the telephone (if installed) and the external CD player (if installed). The MOST bus is, in turn, connected to the instrument cluster via the CAN bus.

Bill