Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New DVD Navigation Install

Hi Mark

Could you tell us how you refinished the bezel for the semi-matt look - it looks great!

pete S

Hi all,

I refinished my trim plate to match the textured plastic on the dash in my 02 996, It came out great!

Looks as close to factory as I think we can get, Now I wish I could get rid of the "Pioneer" wording on the radio.

996pio.jpg

openpoi.jpg

Could you tell us how you refinished the bezel for the semi-matt look - it looks great!

I agree, matt look is great! In fact the gloss bezel is only thing holding me back from this kit - If the bezel came in semi-matt look (for black interior) then I would buy this kit in a second! Trieu if you're reading..... ;)

Edited by yellowlemon

I agree, matt look is great! In fact the gloss bezel is only thing holding me back from this kit - If the bezel came in semi-matt look (for black interior) then I would buy this kit in a second! Trieu if you're reading..... ;)

Guys, I used Trieu's trimplate and painted it with Rustoleam's Textured Paint For Plastic in Black, came out PERFECT!

Edited by Marc Gelefsky

Hi Marc

Thanks for letting us know - so, Trieu, how about supplying these ready painted :-)

pete S

Guys, I used Trieu's trimplate and painted it with Rustoleam's Textured Paint For Plastic in Black, came out PERFECT!

so, Trieu, how about supplying these ready painted :-)

+1 to that! I don't even think we have Rustoleum here in Australia.

The thing that appeals to me about Trieullionaire's kits is that they come complete: all the hardware, fascias and trim pieces, and odds and ends required to do a professional install. Even if I could find an equivalent brand of spray paint, I haven't the faintest idea about painting and don't want to screw it up :)

so, Trieu, how about supplying these ready painted :-)

+1 to that! I don't even think we have Rustoleum here in Australia.

The thing that appeals to me about Trieullionaire's kits is that they come complete: all the hardware, fascias and trim pieces, and odds and ends required to do a professional install. Even if I could find an equivalent brand of spray paint, I haven't the faintest idea about painting and don't want to screw it up :)

Trust me when I tell you guys that ANYONE can paint this.. really, I am no painter and look how great mine looks.

Just out of curiosity... did you have to prime it or clean it with anything first before you sprayed the rustoleam?

We've been getting too many requests now to ignore what you guys want. We've been looking into making the bezel out of high grade metal & having it textured powder coated in a flat black. The powder coating application will make the bezel VERY scratch resistant and extremely durable! Unfortunately, our fabricator's lead time is always a couple of months but they do awesome work. Any thoughts on continuing the glossy black bezels?

Trieullionaire

EuroMotorSpeed.com

cvt929@euroMotorSpeed.com

We've been getting too many requests now to ignore what you guys want. We've been looking into making the bezel out of high grade metal & having it textured powder coated in a flat black. The powder coating application will make the bezel VERY scratch resistant and extremely durable! Unfortunately, our fabricator's lead time is always a couple of months but they do awesome work. Any thoughts on continuing the glossy black bezels?

Trieullionaire

EuroMotorSpeed.com

Great News - Bring it on!!! If you can (as close as possible) match the coating of the bezel to the "textured" finish of the existing bits (like the surface of the adapter to fit the air con piece into the bottom console), then a) I'd order an AVIC kit tomorrow and b ) I can't think many people would want the gloss version - I guess we all strive to make it as "stock" as possible.

Edited by petes

Trieullionaire

EuroMotorSpeed.com

Great News - Bring it on!!! If you can (as close as possible) match the coating of the bezel to the "textured" finish of the existing bits (like the surface of the adapter to fit the air con piece into the bottom console), then a) I'd order an AVIC kit tomorrow and b ) I can't think many people would want the gloss version - I guess we all strive to make it as "stock" as possible.

I refinished mine with that rustoleum yesterday, and it still doesn't look like a "match" although it's closer.... I'd think more people would want the "matched" plate vs. the mirror finish. I imagine there would be people like me who would want to swap out their plate for the matte finish as well instead of purchasing a whole new kit... will that be an option?

it still doesn't look like a "match" although it's closer.... I'd think more people would want the "matched" plate vs. the mirror finish.

Yes matched would be prefect. I imagine the black colour for the ABS platic trim is the most common colour in the Boxster? On photos I see, even when the car interior is a completely different colour eg red, that centre console bit always remains black. Looking forward to this new kit coming out! (Or just an upgraded trim for those who have already installed)

Just out of curiosity... did you have to prime it or clean it with anything first before you sprayed the rustoleam?

I just gave it a light sand to make sure the paint stuck, wiped it down and painted. 2 coats and spary from at least 12 inches away to get the best match.

Dear Marc, and -=USAF-LT-G=-, since you both have used the Rustoleum spray method on Trieu's trim,

may I ask how noticeable/bad the mismatch is? Would a random oberver be able to tell? Or is it only

on close scrutiny that you can tell - from looking at the photos it looks perfect to me.

I'm just deliberating whether to get the kit now and DIY the spraypaint, or wait 'til the proper

matched metal ones come into production.... whenever that may be :)

Thanks!

Dear Marc, and -=USAF-LT-G=-, since you both have used the Rustoleum spray method on Trieu's trim,

may I ask how noticeable/bad the mismatch is? Would a random oberver be able to tell? Or is it only

on close scrutiny that you can tell - from looking at the photos it looks perfect to me.

I'm just deliberating whether to get the kit now and DIY the spraypaint, or wait 'til the proper

matched metal ones come into production.... whenever that may be :)

Thanks!

IMHO, I can tell right away... it still appears to be "darker" and has a different shinier "sheen" as the factory ABS plastic pieces. After painting, it's "closer" but still doesn't match in my opinion.

I just noticed my 2004 Boxster is the "facelift" with a slim cupholder and a horseshoe-shaped trim surrounding the original radio, climate control and air vents - how does this affect the installation instructions? (How do I remove the horseshoe shaped trim, as opposed to the trim style shown in the pictures in the DIY of this thread.)

post-40926-1239043480_thumb.jpg ....VERSUS.... post-40926-1239043558_thumb.jpg

Also my radio antenna connector is a very small mini-"BMW"-type (not standard motorola, or even the standard larger "European" antenna connector.) Is this the same in the USA as well? So is this connector included in the kit? Thanks!

post-40926-1239043916_thumb.jpg

• Admin
I just noticed my 2004 Boxster is the "facelift" with a slim cupholder and a horseshoe-shaped trim surrounding the original radio, climate control and air vents - how does this affect the installation instructions? (How do I remove the horseshoe shaped trim, as opposed to the trim style shown in the pictures in the DIY of this thread.)

Also my radio antenna connector is a very small mini-"BMW"-type (not standard motorola, or even the standard larger "European" antenna connector.) Is this the same in the USA as well? So is this connector included in the kit? Thanks!

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...dpost&p=719

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...dpost&p=719

The "horseshoe" you have is a 1 piece instead of 3 pieces shown in the DIY, detaching the 1 piece "horseshoe" & removing the wiring harnesses is similar. The kit for the 2003-04 uses a different antenna adapter vs the 97-02. Here is a picture of the antenna adapter we include for the 03-04 models:

post-25824-1239452020_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I recently installed the Avic D3 Navigation with rear view camera in my 2000 Boxster. Still have a few interior upgrades to do but the navigation system install was a success and really made the interior look phenomenal and updated.

What was needed for the job:

T20 Torx Screwdriver

Phillips Screwdriver

A dremel with cutting wheel

A file to sand down rough edges

Electrical tape & Wiring Caps

Wire Stripper

Double Din Kit Includes:

Precision cut fascia (trim) piece in Piano Finish to match Pioneer System

Double Din Housing & Brackets

Double Din Custom Support Bracket for Porsche

Heat Shield, Complete Wiring Harnesses, Antenna Adapter & Radio Removal Keys

Some of the things I really like about my new system is that I know that the install is solid. One of the challenges I noticed other folks had was the weight of the system, and so they elected to have it sit low as possible on the dash. Using the custom support bracket to support the back end of the navigation, and also choosing to mount the double din housing as high up as possible, I was able to keep most of the gap below the system as oppose to the top. And to make sure my stereo stays relatively unaffected by the heat from the climate duct system, I installed a heat shield between the duct and navigation.

The other challenge was that most standard double din navigation systems are a lot smaller than the size of my boxster's opening, so regardless of what I install it was going to make the system appear smaller. Didn't like that look too much, so instead of trying to match up the fascia piece to my car, I went with the piano black fascia piece instead to match it up to the Pioneer system. I think going this route made the fascia piece look like its part of the stereo which gives the illusion that the system is a bit bigger.

Anyways, I posted some of the pics below for everyone to check out!

OMG...This looks AWESOME. I have replaced everything in my 97 boxster, finally putting an Alpine double-din in after moving the instrument cluster....I've lived with the 1cm gap at the top for years, and now I feel so GHETTO. Hats off!

Where are you in regards to a universal mounting kit that would work for me, and how hard would it be for me to get some custom trim from you?

Thanks!

Bhavesh

• 4 weeks later...

Trieullionaire

EuroMotorSpeed.com

Hi Trieullionaire,

I would like to vote in favor of the textured powder coated in black version......even as an upgrade to your existing kit at additional cost. How close are you to this finish style?

Also, All the posts I have read show wiring for a Boxster (I just pulled my AVIC Z1 out of my 01 Boxster). I want to install it myself in my 02 996. Do your existing kits have detailed wire by wire instructions matching up the AVIC Z1 wires to the connectors in my pcar? Also...do I need to bypass any amp or anything like that? I can email you a photo of the back of my radio in a PM if that would help me source the correct kit. I want to do the conversion over Memorial Day Weekend (would a telephone call work better/faster?)

Thanks.....

Interesting.... I have the 3 piece trim surround on my Boxster. And all though this is an older picture (I painted the trim with a flat black), I've been trying to figure out a way to use on of those cup holders, as shown being used on the 1 Piece Horseshore shaped trim. Does anyone know if the 1 piece Trim with the cup holder can be fitted to a box with a 3 piece?

Another option I was thinking... what about the gap I have at the bottom of the unit? Is there anything that can be fit there?

000_0063.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I just pulled my stock CCR220 from my 996 Carrera, and my car's yellow audio line out connector doesn't seem to have any pins on it other than the one to switch the factory amp on....

Suggestions? I'm sure I could wire the speakers individually, but the kit I got from euromotorspeed did not have all of the wires for this connection.

My car does NOT have MOST, but there is an amp in the luggage compartment, and all of the speakers are labeled Bose, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't have these wires.

Hi, I just pulled my stock CCR220 from my 996 Carrera, and my car's yellow audio line out connector doesn't seem to have any pins on it other than the one to switch the factory amp on....

Suggestions? I'm sure I could wire the speakers individually, but the kit I got from euromotorspeed did not have all of the wires for this connection.

My car does NOT have MOST, but there is an amp in the luggage compartment, and all of the speakers are labeled Bose, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't have these wires.

Hi,

That's because the Bose amp takes speaker level inputs, instead of the more common way, i.e., line level inputs. If you want to install a new head unit, you can either use the Bose amp by feeding it with speaker level outs of the new head unit (easier way) or remove the Bose amp and feed the speakers directly with your new head unit.

I opted by replacing everything and installed a Clarion 2-DIN head unit, two Alpine amplifiers and replaced all Bose speakers with Focals of similar sized ones, keeping the OEM look. You can check my install in the 996TT DIY section.

Hi,

That's because the Bose amp takes speaker level inputs, instead of the more common way, i.e., line level inputs. If you want to install a new head unit, you can either use the Bose amp by feeding it with speaker level outs of the new head unit (easier way) or remove the Bose amp and feed the speakers directly with your new head unit.

Interesting, the kit I got did not include enough pins on the harness connectors to connect these inputs. I'll contact them and see if they can provide the extra wires.

Thanks for the info!

I recently installed the Avic D3 Navigation with rear view camera in my 2000 Boxster. Still have a few interior upgrades to do but the navigation system install was a success and really made the interior look phenomenal and updated.

What was needed for the job:

T20 Torx Screwdriver

Phillips Screwdriver

A dremel with cutting wheel

A file to sand down rough edges

Electrical tape & Wiring Caps

Wire Stripper

Double Din Kit Includes:

Precision cut fascia (trim) piece in Piano Finish to match Pioneer System

Double Din Housing & Brackets

Double Din Custom Support Bracket for Porsche

Heat Shield, Complete Wiring Harnesses, Antenna Adapter & Radio Removal Keys

Some of the things I really like about my new system is that I know that the install is solid. One of the challenges I noticed other folks had was the weight of the system, and so they elected to have it sit low as possible on the dash. Using the custom support bracket to support the back end of the navigation, and also choosing to mount the double din housing as high up as possible, I was able to keep most of the gap below the system as oppose to the top. And to make sure my stereo stays relatively unaffected by the heat from the climate duct system, I installed a heat shield between the duct and navigation.

The other challenge was that most standard double din navigation systems are a lot smaller than the size of my boxster's opening, so regardless of what I install it was going to make the system appear smaller. Didn't like that look too much, so instead of trying to match up the fascia piece to my car, I went with the piano black fascia piece instead to match it up to the Pioneer system. I think going this route made the fascia piece look like its part of the stereo which gives the illusion that the system is a bit bigger.

Anyways, I posted some of the pics below for everyone to check out!

OMG...This looks AWESOME. I have replaced everything in my 97 boxster, finally putting an Alpine double-din in after moving the instrument cluster....I've lived with the 1cm gap at the top for years, and now I feel so GHETTO. Hats off!

Where are you in regards to a universal mounting kit that would work for me, and how hard would it be for me to get some custom trim from you?

Thanks!

Bhavesh

Hi Bhavesh,

The kits we have available is compatible with your 97 Boxster and Alpine 2 Din headunit. Shoot us an email or PM us if you're interested in getting the kit (cvt929@yahoo.com).

Thx,

Trieullionaire