Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New DVD Navigation Install

Hey Guys,

Hope everyone is doing great! We have some very good news to share. With the overwhelming request to have a matte black version of our 986/996 2 DIN bezel, we've went a couple notches above to come up with a bezel that I think many of you will be very pleased with.

Anyhow, I have attached a few photos for you guys to check out. In most of the pictures, you can see the factory climate control bezel (for the lower console) next to the new textured bezel.

post-25824-1248393306_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1248393328_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1248393345_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1248393382_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1248393391_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1248393405_thumb.jpg

Hope everyone is doing great! We have some very good news to share. With the overwhelming request to have a matte black version of our 986/996 2 DIN bezel, we've went a couple notches above to come up with a bezel that I think many of you will be very pleased with.

****, I wish I'd got that one now!

Hey Guys,

Anyhow, I have attached a few photos for you guys to check out. In most of the pictures, you can see the factory climate control bezel (for the lower console) next to the new textured bezel.

Hello I would like to buy one, only the upper part.

Where I could buy it?

How much?

Thanks

Hey Guys,

I'd be very interested in this as well. I think the Matte finish is much more appealing.

Other thing.

I bought you the 986 Avic kit, but, its allo ok but I don know where I should connect the rear speakers.

I tried to put with rear speakes output in avic, and no function.

Where i should connect it.

?¿?¿

The door speakers and front function good

Other thing.

I bought you the 986 Avic kit, but, its allo ok but I don know where I should connect the rear speakers.

?¿?¿

You connect the rear speakers directly to the AVIC HU

Other thing.

?¿?¿

You connect the rear speakers directly to the AVIC HU

Ok, Thanks, but, exactly where....because the rear and front output are connected to the original wire same the DY hold on here.

?¿?

I was tried to connect it to a rear outoput of avic, but no function....

Only output sound by front output...that door and up board speakers

Can you help me..?¿

You can connect to the head unit. Provided you used the RCA wires to connect to a front amp, you should have the speaker wires from your head unit still available for use. Use the speaker wire output designated for the rear speakers so that you have the fade function.

Hi,

I am in the process of adding a navigation system to a boxster and went to the link on ebay for the kit, it is not active anymore, are there any left?

RennTech Members:

1997-2002 Boxster & Carerra 2Din Custom Kit offered to Renntech Members: $169.00

2003-2004 Boxster & Carerra 2Din Custom Kit offered to Renntech Members: $169.00

U.S: FREE Shipping

Canada: $5.90 Shipping

International: $12.50 shipping

Price lowered for kits & shipping cost.

Please p.m. us for your new kit:) We will need the following information:

1. Year & Model

2. Country of Residence

3. Email Address or PayPal Email Address

Euro MotorSpeed

Edited by trieullionaire

• Admin
Ok, and, Is possible buy you this item too?¿

http://www.euromotorspeed.com/servlet/the-...-Molding/Detail

You can purchase these uphostery and trim tools from Harbor Frieght.

Unfortunately, we don't believe there's Harbor Freight over in Europe.

They are on the web - so they likely ship anywhere.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=67021

Hey guys,

Here are pics I took today from a Tampa customer who purchase the new kit with the factory textured bezel. The install was on a 2001 911 Turbo. I think it took his friend two days to complete the install, it looks pretty fabulous up close.

Cheers,

Trieullionaire

post-25824-1248896032_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1248896042_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1248896052_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1248896062_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1248896074_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my recent installation of an AVIC-Z110BT completed some weeks ago. It came out much better than I expected to be honest, and has the look of factory to me.

-B-

A couple of the pictures of the installation of the head unit. It looks about as close to factory as I believe is possible. The color is perfect, and the fit & finish are flawless.

post-44350-1250096970_thumb.jpg

post-44350-1250096976_thumb.jpg

I installed the JL Audio 6x100W amp in the location of the original BOSE amp, in order to keep the boot as original looking as possible. I took the styrofoam liner with the tire tools off the amp cover, and put the tools in a small bag, which goes in the location where the DVD nav / CD changer used to be. This made enough room for the amp to sit comfortably.

post-44350-1250097009_thumb.jpg

post-44350-1250097016_thumb.jpg

post-44350-1250097025_thumb.jpg

I pulled out the LAME muddy sounding BOSE subwoofer, and replaced it with a 2 x 8" JL Audio custom box that blends in perfectly. With my system, I'm running this subwoofer box & the door in-door BOSE subs altogether on Channels 5 & 6 of the JL G6600 amplifier. It sounds incredible!

post-44350-1250097102_thumb.jpg

Here is my recent installation of an AVIC-Z110BT completed some weeks ago. It came out much better than I expected to be honest, and has the look of factory to me.

-B-

A couple of the pictures of the installation of the head unit. It looks about as close to factory as I believe is possible. The color is perfect, and the fit & finish are flawless.

post-44350-1250096970_thumb.jpg

post-44350-1250096976_thumb.jpg

I installed the JL Audio 6x100W amp in the location of the original BOSE amp, in order to keep the boot as original looking as possible. I took the styrofoam liner with the tire tools off the amp cover, and put the tools in a small bag, which goes in the location where the DVD nav / CD changer used to be. This made enough room for the amp to sit comfortably.

post-44350-1250097009_thumb.jpg

post-44350-1250097016_thumb.jpg

post-44350-1250097025_thumb.jpg

I pulled out the LAME muddy sounding BOSE subwoofer, and replaced it with a 2 x 8" JL Audio custom box that blends in perfectly. With my system, I'm running this subwoofer box & the door in-door BOSE subs altogether on Channels 5 & 6 of the JL G6600 amplifier. It sounds incredible!

The remaining BOSE front speakers (mid & tweets) are a little bright, and I may change them out later, but for now, it really is a vast improvement over the stock "premium" option. I'd say that if, on a scale of 1 to 10, that the non-BOSE is a 4, the BOSE is a 5 and my system as is, is probably a strong 8.5. With some MB Quarts to replace the BOSE fronts, I'd say you'd be listening to a 9.5 system.

post-44350-1250097102_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I did buy the ebay "kit", but decided not to use it for several reasons. The main two reasons were:

1. The coloration of their fascia just does not match well enough to the volcano grey trim of the car. It is close, but not close enough. It's one of those things that would just bug me to no end.

2. The eBay kit does not center the HU vertically in the opening. Now, this may be nitpicking to some, but again, it is one of those things that would just bother me.

Frankly the eBay kit has great mounts that bolt onto the sides of the HU, but that's about it. The fascia (plate) piece is really, really flimsy. I mean to say, you could break it if you aren't careful. It is really thin. Also, it doesn't mount, in a way that makes it really secure.

So, they took it back as a return, which was cool. They have great customer service, and are really available to help the layman with the install. But, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

So, I ended up buying the unit from Nexxia in the UK, and getting it shipped in 2nd day air. The total, with shipping was around $80 or $90. I didn't really care about the plug adapter, as you only need to tap 2 of the wires, I just did that. I'm comfortable doing that sort of thing. It would make absolutely no difference if for some reason you wanted to disconnect and go back to original. I mean, just disconnect the taps, and your good to go. The EURO antenna adapter can be had on Crutchfield or eBay for between $10 and $20.

Now, I will say this, mounting the double-din bracket that comes with the Nexia kit is not for the faint hearted. There is NO easy way to mount it in the vehicle, and it will require a bit of work. My solution was fairly straightforward. I did the following:

1. I drilled and tapped a screw through the double-din cage and the plastic wall of the Porsche console. Then I put in a flat head, allen bolt into the cage. This was step one of initially holding it all in place.

2. I noticed that there was still a little bit of droop, with the unit mounted with the one-bolt method, so I ended up lining up the unit, and putting a super small amount of epoxy on the double-din lip on the left and right sides of the Nexia cage. Holding in place for about 4-5 minutes, and it was solid as a rock. If you want to remove it later, it should pop off with a heat-gun and a small amount of elbow grease...not that I plan to ever change it back.

Once the double-din cage is in place, and I put everything back together, the fit and finish is nothing short of perfect. It truly looks like a factory fit. The color is absolutely spot-on perfect. The vertical centering is perfect. The offset of the HU is perfect. There is no gap, or overhang with the face plate and the other volcano gray pieces.

So, it is quite a bit more work, but it is less money and, at least to me, a better overall fit and finish are possible with the extra time invested.

Basically, if you want the easy pre-fab no extra work method, go with the eBay kit. If you are a perfectionist and want the absolute best finish, with quite a bit of extra work, they go my route. It just depends on the level of involvement you are willing to invest in the project.

-B-

-B-

Nice installation.

Tell me, how did you get rid of the Pioneer logo and copyright information on the start-up splash page? I've got an AVIC-Z3 in my MY02 Targa. I up loaded a Porsche logo similar to yours but it just serves as a background to the Pioneer logo.

If you cleared the Pioneer logo from the unit, please share the steps you took.....preferably in terms an analog man can understand.

Thanks,

Bill