Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New DVD Navigation Install

OK, I finished up the DIY and put it in the 986 DIY Forum. You can find it here:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...st&p=105137

Good luck everyone!

Fantastic DIY for MOST. I have read your instructions and that's extremely helpful for folks who wants to update their car with an aftermarket navi. Your system looks great. By the way, love the checkered garage floor!

OK, I finished up the DIY and put it in the 986 DIY Forum. You can find it here:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...st&p=105137

Good luck everyone!

Fantastic DIY for MOST. I have read your instructions and that's extremely helpful for folks who wants to update their car with an aftermarket navi. Your system looks great. By the way, love the checkered garage floor!

Thanks. And thanks again for the kit. It got the whole process started. Now folks will probably start bugging you to mod a kit for the 03-04 Boxster series ;-).

-All the Best

I would like to thank you for all the time you've spent to create these DIY.

But I still don't understand something :

Rahlstrom, it seems to me that the modifications you suggest to trieullionnaire 's DIY, are about the install (and alternate wiring) of an aftermarket amp....

So, what are the differences of procedures between MOST cars (your DIY) and non-MOST cars (Trieullionnaire's)?

With my 996 (MOST), which instructions should I follow , since I have a Bose system ?

Thanks again... :rolleyes:

Softail.

I'm sure it's probably been mentioned somewhere on here before, but I'm really not sure what to search for it under. How did you relocate the temp / Gauge cluster to the bottom? I want to remove my DSP Unit and place the Temp Control/Cluster in it's place. I ordered the Alpine W505 but it's on back-order right now and the Alpine DSP processor to fine tune the system once it's all in.

Also, I am replacing the door panel speakers with the JL ZR 650-CSi (although I don't plan to use the tweeters in the system just yet...)

The Dash I am placing the MB Quart PVF 210 which consists of a 4" woofer, and a 1.6" tweeter.

The Rear Back Panel Speakers I'm trying to figure out what size I could easily adapt to the stock bracket. Any suggestions here? I'm also still guessing on where to place them in the wiring schematic, seeing as I have to route them either to the 2-channel or 4-channel amp. I plan to use JL or MB Quart depending on the size I need.

I also have 2 amps I plan to install to create a "3-way" type system. I figured a JL 300/4 and a JL 300/2 should be sufficient for a 6 Channel effect. Question though, in the past I've just created speaker baffles myself to adapt to odd stock configurations, and then just adapted the stock speaker wire plug to the new speaker. When I took the car to an Audio shop for an estimate on work, they mentioned they'd need to run new speaker wire. Are they just talking about the speaker wire from the amps to the cross over locations? Or are they talking about running speaker wire from the actual speakers all the way back to the head unit?

Is there a thread for removal of the factory head unit / Modifying the location of the Climate Control system? When I bought my boxster S about 2 months ago, I told myself "The first thing that has to go is the crappy aftermarket CD-Player the previous owner installed..." He put in like THE worst Jensen Cd-Player I've ever seen in my life... the stock one probably would have been 10 times better than this thing.

But I digress ;)

If any of you have pics or can point me in the right direction of the thread(s) I would appreciate it!

:renntech:

Thanks for this great contribution....

Unfortunately, I think this kit cannot fit a 996 . There is a cupholder under the central vents....

The cupholder can be removed.

With the kits faceplate the cupholder in the 02+ 996 can be retained, I also have AVIC Z working fine with factory bose amp and speakers, I may paint the faceplate to match the dash or perhaps Arctic silver.

my car is a MY02 996 Coupe (NON -MOST)

996poi.jpg

996poi11.jpg

Edited by Marc Gelefsky

I would like to thank you for all the time you've spent to create these DIY.

But I still don't understand something :

Rahlstrom, it seems to me that the modifications you suggest to trieullionnaire 's DIY, are about the install (and alternate wiring) of an aftermarket amp....

So, what are the differences of procedures between MOST cars (your DIY) and non-MOST cars (Trieullionnaire's)?

With my 996 (MOST), which instructions should I follow , since I have a Bose system ?

Thanks again... :rolleyes:

Softail.

The wiring harness provided by trieullionnare will not work for a MOST bus install and your Bose amp will not work with the AVIC D3 or any non-Porsche radio. If you still choose to upgrade the head unit you are basically going to have to replace both the head and amp and then pick off signals for the new head unit from the factory wiring and re-use the speaker wiring in the front trunk to connect to the amp (all the signals and pins are on the chart in my DIY). So basically, follow trieullionnare's DIY for the physical prep and install and mine for the wiring.

If you buy a kit from him you will need to modify the harness with the black connector to match the pin locations for the unswitched power, ground, speed and reverse signals and modify the harness that connects to the yellow factory harness connector for the amp remote signal. You will also need to run switched power to the radio and if you do it the way I did, it is available from the phone prep connector. From there you will run RCA cables from the head unit to the new amp and connect the amp speaker outputs to the old amp harness using the wiring chart in the DIY.

It's all very complicated so I understand the confusion. Feel free to email me with any further questions or I can give you a call to discuss the DIY. Just send me a private message with a number if you would like a call.

Is there a thread for removal of the factory head unit / Modifying the location of the Climate Control system? When I bought my boxster S about 2 months ago, I told myself "The first thing that has to go is the crappy aftermarket CD-Player the previous owner installed..." He put in like THE worst Jensen Cd-Player I've ever seen in my life... the stock one probably would have been 10 times better than this thing.

But I digress ;)

If any of you have pics or can point me in the right direction of the thread(s) I would appreciate it!

:renntech:

Follow trieullionares DIY for removing the climate control module but if you want it in the lowest slot, simply use the two screws you took out when removing the unit to screw it in the lower slot and then buy a new face plate at your Porsche dealer, part # 996 552 339 00.

Hi,

I have a 996TT 09/2001 (non-MOST, of course) with PCM1 and BOSE system and would like to install an AVIC HD3-II, which I think it's the equivalent to the US AVIC-Z3 model. Can you provide a kit customized to this configuration, i.e., with the proper harness? Further, can you also provide a matt black finish to the trim fascia?

Do you know if I can connect the existing PCM1 GPS antenna to the AVIC? This would simplify enormously the install.

Luís

Hey where'd you get the white Porsche Decal for the bottom of the trim piece? I just ordered the trim kit off ebay for my install and thought it came with, but apparently not. Just curious where I can get it from. Looks sharp!

You can use either the Universal or the Pioneer kit provided on Ebay, depending whether you have cage & cage brackets (which should of came with the system). It'll work for all aftermarket double din systems.

Trillionaire

Hi,

I have a 996TT 09/2001 (non-MOST, of course) with PCM1 and BOSE system and would like to install an AVIC HD3-II, which I think it's the equivalent to the US AVIC-Z3 model. Can you provide a kit customized to this configuration, i.e., with the proper harness? Further, can you also provide a matt black finish to the trim fascia?

Do you know if I can connect the existing PCM1 GPS antenna to the AVIC? This would simplify enormously the install.

Luís

Edited by trieullionaire

Hi trillionaire,

Thanks for the reply, but you didn't reply to the question of the BOSE - AVIC interface. I want to continue using the BOSE amp, with the AVIC as the preamp only. Does your kit's harness support this?

Regards, Luís

We've had other Porsche owners install it without a problem regarding the harnesses provided. We're currently not providing harnesses & antenna adapter to Porsche with the MOST bus until we come up with a plug & play solution.

Trillionaire

Hi trillionaire,

Thanks for the reply, but you didn't reply to the question of the BOSE - AVIC interface. I want to continue using the BOSE amp, with the AVIC as the preamp only. Does your kit's harness support this?

Regards, Luís

Hi trillionaire,

Regards, Luís

Luis, My 02 works perfect with Bose amp and speakers. The wiring should be the same regardless of Bose or non Bose I am told.

Best,

Marc

Thanks Marc, that's exactly what I wanted to hear!

I'm quite tempted for the newest AVIC-F900BT over the AVIC-HD3II. With SD cards with 16Gb being available for the F900BT, I think the 30Gb hard drive of the HD3 looses appeal. The F900BT is also noticeably cheaper and already comes with Bluetooth. LCD real estate is smaller in the F900, though.

Luis

Photos of the Nav unit installed.

dave

Hi,

I just saw your AVIC installation. Looks great! I am about to install an AVIC Z3 in my 2002 996 Carrera. I noticed in the picture on the right that you appear to have a camera installed. How did you mount it? Did you have to drill holes in the bumper? JohnAVIC

I will do a DIY on it when I get a chance. I'm up to my neck with mods right now. I installed the camera on the upper part of my license plate. If you pick a camera, be sure its a true wide angle. Don't buy the cheap stuff, you get what you pay for in most cases. I went with the 180 degrees camera. Be careful of some the threads telling you need to drill holes in your Porsche in order to get the wires to the rear. There are existing holes to run wires through, just have to get a little creative on how to get them through.

Hi,

I bought your AVIC Kit on EBAY. I am about to install it but before I do wouold you mind telling me how you installed the camera on the rear bumper? Where did you find the hole to pass the wire through? How did you get th wire it past the enegine compartment and into the cabin?

Thanks'

John

I will do a DIY on it when I get a chance. I'm up to my neck with mods right now. I installed the camera on the upper part of my license plate. If you pick a camera, be sure its a true wide angle. Don't buy the cheap stuff, you get what you pay for in most cases. I went with the 180 degrees camera. Be careful of some the threads telling you need to drill holes in your Porsche in order to get the wires to the rear. There are existing holes to run wires through, just have to get a little creative on how to get them through.

Hi,

I bought your AVIC Kit on EBAY. I am about to install it but before I do wouold you mind telling me how you installed the camera on the rear bumper? Where did you find the hole to pass the wire through? How did you get th wire it past the enegine compartment and into the cabin?

Thanks'

John

Hi John,

Thanks for buying the Kit by the way. My brother and I are very appreciative of everyone who has contributed to this thread and folks like yourself who gave us a chance and bought our kits. As for the Camera, sorry for the long delay in getting things organized. With the camera installation, you can actually do it in the order below or in reverse steps and it works fine. Hopefully, it's helpful!

Step "Prestep". Raise your Spoiler, Open the trunk, and Put Your Convertible Top in Service Position

Step 1. The License Plate

a. Remove your license plate, should be a hole behind there thats about an inch in diameter or slightly bigger

b. Take the detachable wires that came with your camera and loop it from the corner of the spoiler down to the hole behind the license plate. I used a clothes hanger and taped the tip of those wires which is the plugin jack and pushed it through until I could see it located at the hole. Then I plugged in the camera.

Step 2. The Trunk

a. There is a bolt at the top left corner of the spoiler which I used for the ground wire. Ground it there, 1 less wire you have to route to the front of your car.

b. Route the remaining wires (should be the video rca cable and the positive wire to power your camera) along the outside of the trunk space. Hide it under the rubber gasket which lines the perimeter of the trunk.

Step 3. The Rubber Gasket

a. Remove the rubber gasket located at the top left hand corner of your rear trunk hood.

b. Pierce a hole through it and pull your wires through it.

Step 4. Above the Engine Compartment

a. Now you should be on the engine compartment side

b. Route the wires along the side of the engine and avoid routing wires in areas where your wires may get pinched from the moving parts of the convertible top.

Step 5. The Door Area

a. Tuck your wires underneath the rubber lining that runs around the area where the door is located

Step 6.

a. Bring Video RCA plug to Avic

b. Plug in Positive wire to an available fuse

Here it is in pictures:

Hi,

Thanks'

John

Hi John,

Thanks for buying the Kit by the way. My brother and I are very appreciative of everyone who has contributed to this thread and folks like yourself who gave us a chance and bought our kits. As for the Camera, sorry for the long delay in getting things organized. With the camera installation, you can actually do it in the order below or in reverse steps and it works fine. Hopefully, it's helpful!

Step "Prestep". Raise your Spoiler, Open the trunk, and Put Your Convertible Top in Service Position

Step 1. The License Plate

a. Remove your license plate, should be a hole behind there thats about an inch in diameter or slightly bigger

b. Take the detachable wires that came with your camera and loop it from the corner of the spoiler down to the hole behind the license plate. I used a clothes hanger and taped the tip of those wires which is the plugin jack and pushed it through until I could see it located at the hole. Then I plugged in the camera.

Step 2. The Trunk

a. There is a bolt at the top left corner of the spoiler which I used for the ground wire. Ground it there, 1 less wire you have to route to the front of your car.

b. Route the remaining wires (should be the video rca cable and the positive wire to power your camera) along the outside of the trunk space. Hide it under the rubber gasket which lines the perimeter of the trunk.

Step 3. The Circular Rubber Gasket

a. Remove the rubber gasket located at the top left hand corner of your rear trunk hood.

b. Pierce a hole through it and pull your wires through it.

Step 4. Above the Engine Compartment

a. Now you should be on the engine compartment side

b. Route the wires along the side of the engine and avoid routing wires in areas where your wires may get pinched from the moving parts of the convertible top.

Step 5. The Door Area

a. Tuck your wires underneath the rubber lining that runs around the area where the door is located

Step 6.

a. Bring Video RCA plug to Avic

b. Plug in Positive wire to an available fuse

Here it is in pictures:

post-25824-1212947706_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1212947716_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1212947736_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1212947742_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1212947763_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1212947771_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1212947786_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1212947794_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Here is a link thats shows another way to route the antenna, though it has the same location that described above (close to the alarm sensor)

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84794

Here is another option for anyone looking more ways. I put my GPS antenna on the outside of the windshield. And then tucked the wires underneath the rubber seal, tuck it in far enough, the wire should sit in there perfectly and should be unnoticeable.

I have a couple pics here. 1 pic is of where I have it seated and the other pic shows how I routed in the door hinge area.

post-25824-1212952094_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1212952104_thumb.jpg