Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Real-time Traffic Coming in PCM Nav Update in April

Someone pointed this out in another thread, but I think it deserves it's own topic, it's that good....

In TSB 32/07, it states that "Where there are TMC ("Traffic Message Channel") info available, road sections for which traffic-related delays have been reported are displayed graphically on the map".

The update does not require the telephone module of satellite radio module to work, apperently, and I found that FM-radio based TMS is what Clear Channel and others broadcast here in the US (in addition to the dedicated XM and proposed Sirius TMS channels).

So....in theory, we should ACTUALLY get real-time traffic overlays with PCM 2.1 Level B/C and the Nav update!

This is great news, and I hope this is reality! I've placed my order with my dealer! BTW, coverage areas can be seen here: http://www.realtimetraffic.net/. Click on "Coverage" and find your area on the map. These guys are somehow hooked up with Clear Channel FM radio broadcasting of RDS / TMS info. They mention a $15/year fee, but I can't understand how that can be enforced over FM broadcast.

Anyway, should be interesting, especially with our built-in "Divert" button on the PCM Nav! If you see a "red" road ahead, hit "Divert"!

Damon

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to my regular service rep at the dealer today, after asking him about the traffic overlay by email. He didn't know much about it even after reading the TSB. The car is an '05 997, delivered March 2005 and we had the OEM nav installed a few months later. Anybody knowledgeable in PCM versions have a good understanding of whether the traffic overlay will work with a 997 this early in the production run? I assume I need to get newer maps and a software upgrade for compatibility with the traffic overlay. Anything else different about the early version relative to the newer model years I should be aware of?

The dealer also said the PCM in the 997 is the same as in the Cayenne, except for the form factor. Does anyone know if the traffic overlay upgrade will with with an '08 Cayenne S with the PCM/nav installed as factory original (or does the Cayenne already do this)? We have one on order (should be on a boat by now) and would like to get it set up for the traffic when we pick it up (or at least get all the right stuff in the sales agreement)

I spoke to my regular service rep at the dealer today, after asking him about the traffic overlay by email. He didn't know much about it even after reading the TSB. The car is an '05 997, delivered March 2005 and we had the OEM nav installed a few months later. Anybody knowledgeable in PCM versions have a good understanding of whether the traffic overlay will work with a 997 this early in the production run? I assume I need to get newer maps and a software upgrade for compatibility with the traffic overlay. Anything else different about the early version relative to the newer model years I should be aware of?

The dealer also said the PCM in the 997 is the same as in the Cayenne, except for the form factor. Does anyone know if the traffic overlay upgrade will with with an '08 Cayenne S with the PCM/nav installed as factory original (or does the Cayenne already do this)? We have one on order (should be on a boat by now) and would like to get it set up for the traffic when we pick it up (or at least get all the right stuff in the sales agreement)

I had the upgrade installed today at Porsche of Orlando. Kit cost about $325 (PCA price) and install (Update) about 1/2 hour. It comes with a new data DVD and 3 upgrade DVDs which have to be installed with a shop tester. Instructions (mutlilanguage) are 16 or so pages. I do not see yet any real differences other than the route planner function. Nothing evident about real time traffic. My wife has that in her LExus LS460 and it works great. My car is a 2007 Cab S with NAV and Sirius radio (from Cayenne). Also have Dension IPod dock, Mod4 kit from Whilhemy and Parrot 3100 Blue Tooth kit. More to follow once we get some time on it. The maps do appear faster, yet address sometimes are off. My office address shows about 1/4 mile from actual location. Main roads are great

Regards

Richard

Cayenne PCM is different, the updates as well.

Do the EU Cayenne PCM/Nav systems do the TMC traffic overlay right out of the box? Or will this likely be an upgrade/update for the US models at some point in the future like the 997? I have not had the pleasure of driving any Porsches in Europe

I had the upgrade installed today at Porsche of Orlando. Kit cost about $325 (PCA price) and install (Update) about 1/2 hour. It comes with a new data DVD and 3 upgrade DVDs which have to be installed with a shop tester. Instructions (mutlilanguage) are 16 or so pages. I do not see yet any real differences other than the route planner function. Nothing evident about real time traffic. My wife has that in her LExus LS460 and it works great. My car is a 2007 Cab S with NAV and Sirius radio (from Cayenne). Also have Dension IPod dock, Mod4 kit from Whilhemy and Parrot 3100 Blue Tooth kit. More to follow once we get some time on it. The maps do appear faster, yet address sometimes are off. My office address shows about 1/4 mile from actual location. Main roads are great

I just read the navi update TSB (after contributing to RennTech...) and then checked the software release in my 2007 C4Cab. My car was at software Model Level C (and I am sure yours must have been also since it is also a 2007. According to the TSB, at this model level, all that is necessary is to swap out the maps DVD in the trunk. No navi software upgrade is required.

I can't see that any Porsche dealer equipment would be required, despite the warning in the TSB that this upgrade should be done by a dealer. Can anyone tell me if I am making a wrong assumption on this. I am a pretty savy computer geek and this looks trivial, but I don't want to blow it...

On the question of Traffic updates in the US, I don't see anything in the TSB that would indicate that this release would make that more enabled than before. The TSB indicates that upgrading to Model Level B (pre 2006), never mind Model Level C, would enable the traffic layer, if it is available. My reading is that this is just not available over the air in a format that the Porsche navi system can cope with in the US -- and the latest upgrade will not change that situation.

I am hot to do this upgrade in the long shot hope that the new maps disk will fix an egregious problem with Porsche navigation now in the US, where many Porsche class roads are not displayed at scales larger than 3 mi and in some cases not at scales larger than 0.3 miles! A glaring example is Pacific coastal route US 1 past Big Sur, a Porsche road if there ever was one. This means you can't see towns or possible turns more than about 15 miles down the road (or 1.5 miles for some lovely even smaller roads). There are numerous other examples here in California and out in the deserts and plains. I think the parameters are set for European roads and there is no way to adjust them that I can see. I am not optimistic that the new disk will fix this, but I want to give it a try before hollering at Porsche on the subject.

I'm not sure if this is how this works, but here are the FM radio-based TMC taffic data broadbast stations in the USA: http://www.realtimetraffic.net/StationList.pdf.

I'm going to try tuning to one of them that's local and select the PCM's "Traffic Program" option to see if that's the ticket. That would be sweet if that's all it is.

If someone has a chance to try this out that has the new Nav already (or at least factory nav + PCM 2.1 Level B/C), please post here and let us know if this gives you traffic overlays.....

Damon

geoff

EU Cayenne ( DVD nav. ) need the latest update to have TMC, 987 - 997 idem, but the update is different.

Thanks RFM! Word from my salesman is that my Cayenne is on a vessel and due in San Diego on April 23. I asked him to find out if we need an update for the TMC. Since it was just built a few weeks ago, I'm hoping we're set with all the latest updates when we take delivery.

When I spoke to my service writer this morning, he said they've done about 3 updates on 997s, but they still don't know if it picks up the traffic and overlays it on the map. Maybe when he talks to some of the customers he'll find out if it works as expected

Just had Nav update installed, you can do it easily especially from 06 models on with Level B PCM.

Just feed several of the 4 the discs into the Nav drive and follow instructions in TSB from Renntech.

Waiting to see if RTT ever works. Aprox $300, get your PCA 10% off.

You get a nice CD Case!!

Edited by larrytrk

Don't forget the Europe DVD and the PCM programed for Europe frequency's, and enjoy your stay.

Unfortunately I won't be going to Europe in the near future. I was supposed to go to Germany, Netherlands and Belgium later this month, but my trip was canceled. i guess I'll just drive here (with speed limits!)

I received the Nav upgrade from Sunset this afternoon.

As I noted in an earlier post in this thread, my 2007 997 C4Cab is already at PCM software level C. So... I did not need to use any of the three upgrade disks and only needed to swap out the map disk in the trunk. Did that. After a few moments of reading the disk the system came up with what looks like the old maps possibly with some features I don't remember (like a dotted line at the Pacific Ocean indicating the boundary of the USA on the San Francisco beach??) and are presumably updated with new road and POI info.

No problems with the install. Don't quite know why this has to cost over $300 given that the upgrade disks are not necessary...

Trying out the system in my garage (in San Francisco), I see no evidence that Real-time traffic is supported, in these parts anyway.

I took a look at the roads showing down around Big Sur. Coastal Route 1 still will not show up at any scale larger than 1.5 miles and many other interesting roads don't show at any scale larger than 0.3 miles. I had a small hope, now gone, that the upgrade might fix this glaring problem. It sure makes it hard to use the Navi system on many great roads in the west where one wants to see what is going on (intersections, etc.) further than 5 miles down the road!

Does anyone have any idea who one might contact at Porsche of USA who might be interested in hearing about this issue? It is the only deficiency that really bugs me about this otherwise phenomenal car.

Tom

I should add that a map included with the new disk indicates that it now includes Mexico and Brazil, should anyone be planning to drive a Porsche down through Central America and Columbia into the Amazon regions...

Edited by tomnash

Trying out the system in my garage (in San Francisco), I see no evidence that Real-time traffic is supported, in these parts anyway.

I took a look at the roads showing down around Big Sur. Coastal Route 1 still will not show up at any scale larger than 1.5 miles and many other interesting roads don't show at any scale larger than 0.3 miles. I had a small hope, now gone, that the upgrade might fix this glaring problem. It sure makes it hard to use the Navi system on many great roads in the west where one wants to see what is going on (intersections, etc.) further than 5 miles down the road!

Does anyone have any idea who one might contact at Porsche of USA who might be interested in hearing about this issue? It is the only deficiency that really bugs me about this otherwise phenomenal car.

Tom

I should add that a map included with the new disk indicates that it now includes Mexico and Brazil, should anyone be planning to drive a Porsche down through Central America and Columbia into the Amazon regions...

I don't know too much about this subject but I thought the maps were provided by Navteq. Wouldn't they be responsible for the overall resolution difference?

I don't know too much about this subject but I thought the maps were provided by Navteq. Wouldn't they be responsible for the overall resolution difference?

Navteq provides the data. I don't believe Navteq did this software. I suspect it is unique to Porsche, though perhaps based on a third party common framework used by other car companies. Porsche probably contracted it out, probably in Germany, where little roads don't run for hundreds of miles with only a few other roads around. The issue is how the "anti-clutter" parameters are set and whether these can be manually adjusted by the user.

The anti-clutter algorithms keep the screen from getting filled up with too many little streets. For example, if you looked at San Francisco on a 4 mile scale and every little street showed, the screen would be black. However, streets encoded at the same level of significance (or whatever they call it) when you are down on the coast below Big Sur, or out in the desert, or in the Central Valley, or ..., are very interesting to a Porsche driver and should be shown.

It is possible to write algorithms that simply count the total length of streets on a screen and on that basis dynamically adjust which ones are shown. This seems to be too sophisticated for most mapping routines I have seen (except maybe Google and MapQuest which seem to handle this more sensibly and automagically).

However, even if you can't have this level of automatic anti-clutter adjustment, at least there could be a manual adjustment available under the Map/Set menu. For example, it could be called "Show More Streets" and you could adjust it by spinning the knob, just like you adjust the magnification. Or one of the useless (in the US) buttons could be reprogrammed, or ...

Tom

Anyone have a screen shot with the maps or a configuration screen for the traffic information?

As I noted in an earlier post, there is no indication of any option or configuration screen that I can find for traffic information.

Sadly, I can't see anythig to do with traffic yet either. Of course, I haven't actually NAVIGATED into a trafic jam yet to see what might happen, but it doesn't look hopeful.

Damon

Make sure that "Traffic Programme" is enabled in the Audio screen of the PCM.

Still nothing yet!!

Make sure that "Traffic Programme" is enabled in the Audio screen of the PCM.

Still nothing yet!!

It was (and is) checked and I still see no evidence of any traffic info and I live in the middle of traffic jams. Haven't tried to change stations, but that shouldn't be the issue...

Hi!

In my MY05 997, the software is still the original version 04035AD1.

To get to the "Update Model Level C" stage, I'm looking for the following:

1. 000.043.205.46.004 "Update CD of existing models A" to get to the updateA stage.

2. 000.043.205.46.002 "Update CD Model Level B" to get to the model level B stage

3. 000.043.205.46.003 "Multimedia Update CD2" - only for vehciles with Motorola phone

4. 000.044.901.40 "PCM Multimedia Update CD Naviagtion" to get to level C

5. Then a European Navigation DVD dated 08.2007 or higher.

I already have (2) and (3) - Does anybody have a copy of (1) (4) or (5) available?