Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hot rubber smell

:o I'm new to the forum.

I just got a 2005 Boxster S. This is my third Porsche. I love this car already. I have noticed that after I drive the car for awhile and stop, there is a brief hot rubber smell. I notice it as I get out of the car. I know this has been mentioned by other people. But I have never heard a good explanation for the smell. Some people have said that the smell persists without any problems but it worries me. Any ideas.

The independent dealer and service shop where I bought the car have been all over it chasing the smell before I bought the car. They found nothing wrong. I trust their assessment.

I just got a 2005 Boxster S. This is my third Porsche. I love this car already. I have noticed that after I drive the car for awhile and stop, there is a brief hot rubber smell. I notice it as I get out of the car. I know this has been mentioned by other people. But I have never heard a good explanation for the smell. Some people have said that the smell persists without any problems but it worries me. Any ideas.

The independent dealer and service shop where I bought the car have been all over it chasing the smell before I bought the car. They found nothing wrong. I trust their assessment.

Neuron:

There was a thread that was started here about a week ago that dealt with this issue. The consensus opinion is that it was caused by debris and small bits of rubber that may have come off the tires and are getting burned off when they stick to the hot exhaust parts.

Try driving very aggressively and see if that exacerbates the smell, then on another occasion try driving very conservatively and see if the odor dissipates.

Regards, Maurice.

I too just bought a 2005 Boxster S, and I also noticed that same smell. I thought I was just driving the car harder than it felt like. I figured the tires still feel the full effect of the turn even if the sport suspension and mid engine make the driver feel the turns less. I could be wrong on this. Its just my best guess as to why that smell is there.

Edited by Kalmah987

I noticed a STRONG smell on my 2000 S. When I got underneath, I noticed a torn CV Boot. The smell was the grease on the exhaust.

I'm glad I had the heads up, or I would never have checked underneath and probably would have ruined the joint over time as it filled with debris.

Inspecting the CV joints & boots is part of the standard maintenance chech list. So if this were missed, either you or the dealership or indy, would not be doing the proper job. Good thing you caught it. :)

During a spirited drive last Spring, a performance car in front of me lost a CV boot. Smoke and grease came flying out of the rear end. Looked like the engine let go. I got a windsheild full of grease too.

The irony is that I had just finished my 48km service a week earlier....so the boots probably wouldn't have been inspected for at least another 6 months or so! Guess I got lucky this time. Found a great ebay seller (Mike @ Classic Cars & Parts) who sold CV boot kits (boots, grease and clamps) for $13.95 each. My stealership in Calgary wanted $48 JUST for the boot. (In the words of Borat) God bless glorious U.S and A!

I too have a 2005 Boxster S and have noticed the same smell but have had no problems with the car in the year that i've owned it .

• 3 weeks later...

I too have a 2005 Boxster S and have noticed the same smell but have had no problems with the car in the year that i've owned it .

I have a new boxster with 19 in rims, I figured it was just the soft compound tires as I notice it more when I drive hard. I would be curious to see if 17 in wheels and tires do the same thing? I never noticed it with my old boxster that had 17 in rims.