Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

C4Cab rear window plastic problems

My 2000 C4Cab rear plastic window is yellow and has started to come off of the cloth. Other than that it is in great shape!

Can someone tell me how I go about fixing this? I will ultimately get the dealer service opinion, but would like yours first.

Can I upgrade/replace this with plate glass? I don't think I can in my 2000 as it seems to fold up. Can I replace the plastic easily? Any idea of cost for parts and labor?

Is this something I can do myself, or hire someone other than the dealer?

Thank you so much for your input!

-alan

Edited by norcalcayenne

Well you can:

1. Have the top glued back to the material if not too much seperation and buy a good plastic cleaner that will take the yellow off.

2. Go to a upholestery shop that can take off your top and sew in a new plastic rear glass - my guess the cheapest option if the top is otherwise in good shape.

3. You can order an aftermarket top either with Glass or plastic. The attached site sells both. I think they are the only ones to have designed a glass rear for the 1999-2001 996s. http://www.gahh.com/product_info.php?cPath...roducts_id=1575

best of luck

Edited by rountreed

Thank you very much for these suggestions.

I used to have a 199x 968 convertible, and I had the top replaced on it - it did work out very nicely. I also had the body repainted and that turned into a 3 week ordeal that cost a lot.

So with option 2 - is it pretty straightforward to take the cloth/canvas top off of the convertible unit? It seems like it is very difficult to me and I am concerned that an upholstery shop that normally does couches would have problems with the 966. I have worries that they might end up having problems the top would leak, etc.

How do I identify a good upholstery shop that can do a good job? Anyone know a good one in the San Francisco Bay area?

Thanks so much for your help!

Well you can:

1. Have the top glued back to the material if not too much seperation and buy a good plastic cleaner that will take the yellow off.

2. Go to a upholestery shop that can take off your top and sew in a new plastic rear glass - my guess the cheapest option if the top is otherwise in good shape.

3. You can order an aftermarket top either with Glass or plastic. The attached site sells both. I think they are the only ones to have designed a glass rear for the 1999-2001 996s. http://www.gahh.com/product_info.php?cPath...roducts_id=1575

best of luck

My 2000 C4Cab rear plastic window is yellow and has started to come off of the cloth.

Probably your best first step would be to utilize the search function here and read the many, many posts on this subject. Its been covered extensively, and would give you a good background for making an expensive decision.

I just addressed this problem with my car (2000 996 cabrio)...my car only had 30k miles on it so the top was just about perfect, except for the window coming apart at the bottom - I belive the technical term is delamination (its fairly common issue from what i understand)...I took it to a local upholstery shop in orlando and they replaced the window by stitching in a new piece of vinyl (and i was able to select a very heavy tint to match the rest of my car - instead of the old green tint window)...the stitching looks great - and its held up well in some very bad weather...it cost me $500 bucks...the place i went did have experience with 911s, you would definately want to check and make sure they are comfortable doing that to your car...