Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Brake squeal ?

When I lightly place my foot on the brakes I hear some brake squeal. Harder foot pressure stops it. Quiet when coasting.

The Boxster has 32K on it and I purchased it at 28K, so I'm assuming the pads are original. I inspected them when the wheels were off, but since I don't know how thick new pads are, this can be misleading. This would appear too soon to replace brakes. Car was never raced to my knowledge.

Is this a normal brake squeal condtion or wear indicators sounding off??? I'd rather change pads early before rotors are damaged and save a unnecessary expense. Would be a DIY job.

Thanks, Bob

This is very much a DIY job. Porsche in their wisdom for making weekend racers made very easy brakes to R&R. You may have the original pads and the Boxster has wear indicators, which are little switches that will trigger the brake pad warning light on your dash when they become low. I changed my pads/rotors when I bought mine used and the sensors had not triggered the light yet.

You most likely have the "chatter" associated with the pads not having the seize/chatter grease on the back plates or they may be dry from age.

You need to determine the condition of the rotors & pads and figure out if it's worth to reapply the grease or simply replace pads (and/or rotors) which also requires the grease.

Sounds like brake pad chatter 101. some get it going forward, some backwards but it usually goes away with an increase in pedal pressure.

Edited by rsfeller

• 2 weeks later...
This is very much a DIY job. Porsche in their wisdom for making weekend racers made very easy brakes to R&R. You may have the original pads and the Boxster has wear indicators, which are little switches that will trigger the brake pad warning light on your dash when they become low. I changed my pads/rotors when I bought mine used and the sensors had not triggered the light yet.

You most likely have the "chatter" associated with the pads not having the seize/chatter grease on the back plates or they may be dry from age.

You need to determine the condition of the rotors & pads and figure out if it's worth to reapply the grease or simply replace pads (and/or rotors) which also requires the grease.

Sounds like brake pad chatter 101. some get it going forward, some backwards but it usually goes away with an increase in pedal pressure.

rsfeller, I think that you are right on about this. I forgot how annoying brake squeal can be as I've had it on other cars but only in reverse. It's really not too bad and I'll put up with it for a while until I change the brakes (maybe in the Fall before hibernation), and be sure to be attentive to the grease,, etc to eliminate the problem. I was just concerned that my rotors may be at risk. I really don't want to buy new ones when it's pad changing time.

Thanks, Bob