Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fitting Iridium Plugs in 3.6L engine - worth it?

• 2 weeks later...

Choose a sparkplug that fits your needs. I think iridium is one of the most durable, ie long lasting, ie don't change too often. If you are looking for performance, you may want to consider the performance of a car in the shop having its spark plugs changed frequently. My 2002 has 133000km, so longevity is important to me.

• 4 weeks later...
I watched an episode of Horsepower TV on Speed channel where they did an engine dyno test between a "standard" spark plug and the new E3 sparkplug. The E3 plug added 3 hp.

Sorry, I don't believe that.

You don't believe he saw the show or that they add 3 hp? :lol: Anyway, it's the same with the grounding kits on all the japanese imports, when comparing a grounding kit against a car that has corroded grounds, they "add 5hp". What they really do is restore the original hp. I can take a car with beat plugs and and swap in new iridium plugs and magicly make 3hp. Also, what type of dyno. The margin of error on most dynos covers 3 hp. Blah, blah, blah, blah, etc, etc, etc. This discussion is just a horse of a different color, i.e. desnorkle, aftermarket intake, indexing plugs, blah, blah, blah, but it's dead none the less. You want real hp out of a Boxster, engine swap is you only real choice. I came from an 05 STi, with exhaust and a tune I gained 70hp. Strictly bolts on could get you up to 400 whp (stock is 250whp). Normally aspirated cars just don't see those kinds of gains and especially high performance NA cars. They are typically tuned closer to the limits of the head, intake and exhaust design. Usually not much to extract.

I believe the real benefit of iridium plugs would be longevity. They would not have to be swapped out as often. I too don't believe extra horsepower is likely, or else Porsche would have already done that. Does anyone have iridium plugs, and if so, how many miles do they seem to last?

• Moderators

The last generation ( 987 - 997 and Cayenne ) standard spark plugs are OK for 90.000 Km or 4 years, please give me a good reason to change with iridium ones.

• 2 weeks later...
The last generation ( 987 - 997 and Cayenne ) standard spark plugs are OK for 90.000 Km or 4 years, please give me a good reason to change with iridium ones.

Compared to platinum plugs maybe a little more longevity, but nothing to rave about. Iridium or platinum plugs used in cars for 100K mile plug changes. Since the 996 and 997 use Platinum, I doubt you wil see any adavantages at all!