Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

X74 rear bracket install with pics

Don't ask me what this thing does, but here are some pics of where it goes.

My X74 kit didn't come with instructions, and the best info I could find on installing this was it goes in the rear taillight and it is real easy :)

These instructions are for an 02 C2 cab YMMV

To remove the tail light you need a 10mm socket to remove one screw.

2456632053_fdbd2d1509.jpg

Once removed you need a T20 torx bit to remove the two screws holding in the tailight bracket

2457460466_5344557592.jpg

Here is the tail light bracket

2456634345_924422fe4c.jpg

The massive X74 rear brace!

2457462484_741bb6c3e4.jpg

2457463104_ac5906b987.jpg

2456636593_5ac43b03c4.jpg

And here is where it goes

2456631257_719402e23e.jpg

Install rear tailight and put 10mm screw/bolt back in and you are done.

One work of caution, when reinstalling the taillight mounting bracket get it back in the same position as it was before you removed it and your tail light should be flush. I didnt pay much attention to the first one and it took me a couple of minutes of fiddling around with it to get it right :cursing: . When I did the other one I put the bracket back in the same place and the tail light lined up perfectly. The second one took less than 5 minutes to do. probably more like 2 :rolleyes:

SBDinATL,

Where did you order your X74 suspension package from? Cost? How do you like it-handling, ride, stiffness? Thanks, I was thinking of the same thing but not yet sure.

Peter

SBDinATL,

Where did you order your X74 suspension package from? Cost? How do you like it-handling, ride, stiffness? Thanks, I was thinking of the same thing but not yet sure.

Peter

I bought it used from a Rennlist member. $1500 shipped, too good of a deal to pass up.

My Cab handles like a new car now. Most of the understeer is gone. As far as ride and stiffness, the car is more of a sportscar now than a touring car. To me its not jarring, it is stiff and it is waaaaaay low.

I live and drive in Midtown Atlanta where the roads are less than ideal, but so far I haven't thought wow this is just too harsh and a big mistake.

Thanks for your reply. Can you do me a favor and measure the distance between the ground and your fender lip (front and back) using the wheel as a center point. I am interested in the X74 package and would like to know how much it lowered your 996.

Thanks,

Peter

Thanks for your reply. Can you do me a favor and measure the distance between the ground and your fender lip (front and back) using the wheel as a center point. I am interested in the X74 package and would like to know how much it lowered your 996.

Thanks,

Peter

I am getting my front bumper resprayed and fixed (cursed front plates... :angry: ) but will have the p-car back on Friday so I will measure and take pics.

I didn't think it was recommended to install a X74 on a cab. The body of the cab is not as sturdy as a coupe and the increased flex from a stiff suspension could cause damage. Not saying what you did was wrong, but others with a cab may want to do some research before making this mod.

Will

I didn't think it was recommended to install a X74 on a cab. The body of the cab is not as sturdy as a coupe and the increased flex from a stiff suspension could cause damage. Not saying what you did was wrong, but others with a cab may want to do some research before making this mod.

Will

I did plenty of research. What finally sold me was a post from Gert at Carnwal.

He basically said PSS9's and H&R coilovers have stiffer settings than X74 and they sell them for coupes and cabs. Nobody questions when someone puts PSS9's on a cab.

Now mine is an 02 cab so the structure was stiffened from the mkI model.

Those with 99-01 cab's might not want to install X74.

Will

I did plenty of research. What finally sold me was a post from Gert at Carnwal.

He basically said PSS9's and H&R coilovers have stiffer settings than X74 and they sell them for coupes and cabs. Nobody questions when someone puts PSS9's on a cab.

Now mine is an 02 cab so the structure was stiffened from the mkI model.

Those with 99-01 cab's might not want to install X74.

You are corret on the <'02's and that is what I was refering to. I should have clarified. I have a '99 and have decided to go ROW M030.

Will

Thanks for the pictures and info. Looks great. I thought it might sit lower based on things that I heard regarding the X74 suspension. But it appears fine. Looks a little over an inch lower than my 99 C2 (26.5 front/26.25 rear). I really like it. Are you ok with the ride in regards to firmness? Is it a much harder ride that the stock suspension? Would you recommend it?

Thanks. Again, your 996 looks great!!

Peter

My car is actually an 1/8" lower than a friends C4S with X73, so I think its probably about right.

It is stiffer than stock, but I don't mind it. It feels like a sports car now.

Depends on what you use it for, we drove the C4S for 1300 miles to get it back to Atlanta and the trip wasn't bad at all.

Around town I can definitely tell its stiffer as you feel a lot more bumps.