Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

You are invited to a Work on Cars Day

Thanks to Loren, Mary and David.

Looking forward to it. I have a B&M short shift kit on order for my 997 so that will be my project.

I am willing to help others do a few things, my experiance is limited (oil changes, brake and clutch bleeds...) and I would like to get a few pointers on swapping brake pads - they seem to put up a fight when I do it!

I will bring some tools and show up in the morning.

Edited by MartinJF

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also extend my thanks to Mary and Dave for their gracious offer to use their facility for our WOCD. I ordered all the "stuff" for a 30K service for my TT....but didn't feel that I needed to buy the $56 "pollen filter".....I figured that if I rolled down my windows, it would bypass the filter anyway. Oh...and Mary....if you want to take it out again but this time TROMP on it, you're welcomed to do so.

I might also do the tranny service since I bought the Mobil Delvac 75-90 synthetic gear oil....but I will be bringing containers to take the changed out fluids away with me...BTW....I found a distributor in Ceres who sells the Delvac by the five gallon container that works out to be around $24 a gallon. I went out and found another distributor back east and got billed $42.50 per gallon!! Needless to say it pays to shop around a bit before you order Porsche "stuff". Any folks needing the Delvac 75-90...let me know. If there are enough who want to change out tranny fluids, I can buy the Delvac and bring it there.

I also might have found a Mobil distributor who carries the Mobil 5W-50 that folks have been talking about but cant' find in the US. If anyone is interested in that particular viscosity, let me know and I'll pursue it further. Right now I'm just using the 0-40 in the TT, but when it really starts to get hot around here, a little heavier viscosity might reduce some of the oil loss that comes with drivng a TT. I usually burn about a quart every 1500 or so miles...which is about par for the TT.

Hope to see a good turnout.....in addition to Loren's offer to read out your DME's on his computer and provide onsite expertise, there'll be some other folks there who will be versed in doing Porsche maintenance like brakes and other mechanical tasks that wont' take more than the 10 to 5 schedule for that day. OR....you might just look over someone's shoulder to see how they do their brakes???

Hi All

I have a friend who like to bring his 986 Boxster along for a Bumper removal and Radiator clean - there will probably be a few others who want - need to do that as well.

I assume that will be okay.

Thanks

Edited by MartinJF

I will be there.

Loren, I've got a 2000 Boxster S. My air bag light has come on since the car was sitting at a body shop for two weeks and they had the battery disconnected. I assume the air bags are okay, just the system is frazzled. I'd like you to scan it with your PST2 though and reset it.

Chuck, do you know if the Mobil Delvac is the right type of oil for a Boxster transmission? I assume it is, I'm just not familiar with "Delvac". I thought my Boxster is supposed to take Mobil One 75-90 gear oil. I'll do some checking, and if that's the right oil for my car I would definitely be interested in getting some. I changed mine at 40K miles to Castrol full synthetic. I bought the Castrol because none of the local shops had enough Mobil 75-90. That was a bit of a mistake though. I have a minor issue with difficulty going into 4th now. I'd like to swap it again to the Porsche recommended transmission oil for my car. I really just need the oil though. I'll change it at home rather than the work on cars day.

ebcarrera, I'm actually swapping out my front bumper for an MK1 aerokit bumper tonight (just got it painted). It's a one hour job at most, if you take your time. I don't know how you'll get your bumper there, but bring it along and we'll get it swapped on, no problem. Bring an old blanket too to lay on the ground just to be sure we don't scratch the paint if it's accidentally dropped. Loren's right about the side skirts. I've got a body shop doing mine next week and it's more of an ordeal than we'd want to do at a work on cars day.

blinkwatt, definitely bring your new springs! We'll get those swapped out. You don't really need a lift to do that job, although it's nice. You just need the wheels off the ground and jack stands will work fine for that and it sounds like we've got plenty of space to get your car up on jack stands. I'd just plan on coming early for that job though. Do you have a jack and jack stands or do you want me to bring some? Also do you want me to bring my spring compressors?

Kirk

Bristol: I did some research and was told by a number of the :experts" that I needed the Delvac Mobil 75-90 variety...so I should have enough to do two cars...I'll have to look in the specs book to see how many quarts it takes, but a TT has to change out the tranny as well as the front differential. I almost bought the Mobil 75-90 from Kragans, but was told that they're not the same ingredients....and that the Delvac was the correct flavor of the month.

I take it you have a manual tranny? Do you have the owner's manual? I'm pretty sure that the Delvac is for all of the manual trannys, but we need to confirm that.

Edited by Chuck Jones

blinkwatt, definitely bring your new springs! We'll get those swapped out. You don't really need a lift to do that job, although it's nice. You just need the wheels off the ground and jack stands will work fine for that and it sounds like we've got plenty of space to get your car up on jack stands. I'd just plan on coming early for that job though. Do you have a jack and jack stands or do you want me to bring some? Also do you want me to bring my spring compressors?

Kirk

Loren,

Is it o.k. if Kirk and I swap out springs if we use jacks and jack stands?

-

Kirk,

I don't mind coming early at all. I have 2 jacks and 2 jack stands. I can bring those. If you would bring your spring compressor that would be AWESOME. I don't have too many tools either so if there is anything special that you used when swapping yours out could you bring those as well?

• Admin

Kirk

Loren,

Is it o.k. if Kirk and I swap out springs if we use jacks and jack stands?

-

Kirk,

I don't mind coming early at all. I have 2 jacks and 2 jack stands. I can bring those. If you would bring your spring compressor that would be AWESOME. I don't have too many tools either so if there is anything special that you used when swapping yours out could you bring those as well?

As long as it can be done safely and within the time the Borden's have graciously donated their shop.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR SETTING THIS UP !!! No doubt the Porsche community is a great one :D

Kirk, Thanks for the info I truly appreciate it! I have a wedding to attend on the 7th but it doesn't start until 1:00 or 2:00 and it's downtown so that means I will be there at 10:00 AM sharp and can hang out for about an hour or so and meet everyone before I have to head home :angry: If it were my wedding I could hang out for a couple of hours at least :lol:

I don't think that will give me enough time for the install of the bumper so I will just have to do that another day I guess.

-Ernesto

Edited by ebcarrera

I don't think that will give me enough time for the install of the bumper so I will just have to do that another day I guess.

I don't know... one hour may be more than enough time to swap out a front bumper. I already had my front bumper off my Boxster last night and installed a 996 MK1 GT3 bumper. It literally took me maybe 15 minutes to get it on, aligned, and bolted down. :P If I had someone helping me and an electric screw driver (can't &%$#@ find mine right now) I bet we could get it done.

I think you'll love this bumper, I know I do. It looks great on Loren's car! I've got my car lowered on Gemballa springs and with this bumper (same as the 996 aerokit) I've got about 3.5" of ground clearance in the front. It's LOW. I'm not sure how I'll get the lower spoiler on. :o Only problem is that my wife came out to look at it and said it looked like the car was smiling and it looked much more "cute" now. <_<

Bristol: I did some research and was told by a number of the :experts" that I needed the Delvac Mobil 75-90 variety...so I should have enough to do two cars...I'll have to look in the specs book to see how many quarts it takes, but a TT has to change out the tranny as well as the front differential. I almost bought the Mobil 75-90 from Kragans, but was told that they're not the same ingredients....and that the Delvac was the correct flavor of the month.

I take it you have a manual tranny? Do you have the owner's manual? I'm pretty sure that the Delvac is for all of the manual trannys, but we need to confirm that.

Ah... okay, thanks Chuck! I'm going to have to look into this Delvac stuff. I see we have some here at work that we use specifically in gear boxes. Don't worry about me for the work on cars day though. I didn't plan on changing my transmission oil (yes it's a manual) that day. I'm going to do it at home some other time. I thought you were picking up some oil for others, but now I see that you're getting it in 5 gallon containers!!! I don't need that much. :P

Kab: Truly sorry you wont' be able to make it....but Loren does have a number of these WOCD events planned for the future and I'll be sure to keep you in the loop for any upcoming ones. How is your TT running? Did you ever sell the 88 cabriolet?

If not...these forums are a great place to put up an ad.....that car looks to be in excellent shape and should sell. Or perhaps you've come to enjoy the drop top drives?

I'd like to bump this discussion thread up to give more folks the opportunity to join the upcoming Work On Cars Day (WOCD)

....this is a chance to have a session at a location that has a lift and someone to run your DME on a computer....not too many WOCD's that have a lift. Hope to see more folks sign up.

Anyone needing the Delvac 75-90 gear oil....I found a place in Northern California that carries it...a lot cheaper than where I bought it....almost half of what I paid.

The place is:

distributors serve your state.

DISTRIBUTOR ADDRESS PHONE FAX

E R Vine & Sons

2825 Railroad Rd.

Ceres, CA 95307

209-537-0723

209-537-0723 209-537-1402

This gear oil is only for the manual transmissions in the TT's....not the tips. I didn't check to see if it's the same for the 911's or the earlier 996's....so make sure you check because I use Swepco 201 in the 930. I was going to buy the cheaper versions available at Kragans and AutoZone, but was told by a number of the indys and builders that I needed to use the Mobil Delvac 75-90 only.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Jones

I put a post on Babblers on 5/14/08 and gave it a Bump Today.

http://www.babblers.org/forums/showthread....50241#post50241

I also put a post on PPBB and one member said he would show up. I put his project in this thread.

Looking forward to it, I have my B&M short shift kit ready. Might try to remove the Bumper if attendance is low, car is new so I don't expect much junk behind the radiators but seems like a good learning opportunity.

See you all there.

Martin

Hey all. Looking forward to meeting the group that comes up to the house/shop for the event. It should be a really fun day to hang out and get a few things done on the cars!

A big thanks to Chuck and Loren for organizing this for the community! Mary and I are really looking forward to meeting you all.

Im spending tomorrow organizing the shop a bit and getting ready for it.

Take care,

David

PS, if you need any small welding done, I can probably help with that also.

• Admin
I don't have any projects planned for my own car (unless someone has a PST II ;) ), but hope to drop by to meet you all. My resume includes 10 years of keeping this beautiful beast on the road. :)

Thanks, Doug

I will have my PST2 and PIWIS at the WOCD.

>>I will have my PST2 and PIWIS at the WOCD.

That's awesome Loren. I'd really appreciate using it to reset my airbag light and would also like to explore the info that the PST2 exposes if there's time. (The airbag light was tripped by my mistake when swapping my race seat....not due to the buckle/ground issue.)

I plan to arrive between 11 and 12 and will bring a couple of pizzas and some soda (David, please email me if this encroaches on other food plans...or I think you can even IM me at work :)).

I just changed out all the tranny and differential oils and did an oil change....and Loren was kind enough to install my 997 shifter, so my project will be a tough one....take off the front bumper and clean out the radiators, and replace the air filter.....this is pointing up to be a fun day.

Chuck