Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Bose Subwoofer (416007) Wiring

Hello, I am wiring this sub amp and speakers from a 997 into a Boxster and need to build a custom harness. The amp is the Bose Autobahn setup, with the 6 pin AMP connector. Can anyone help me by identifying the pins? Of the six pins only five are in use, connectinng to the amp via a twelve pin connector which plugs into the PCB.

Thanks!

post-31460-1211318209_thumb.jpg

post-31460-1211318219_thumb.jpg

The Bose amp configuraton on a boxster and 997 are different as there are fewer speakers in the Boxster. The amp is connected via the MOST (fiber optic) network cable to the head unit , it also needs to be the correct software/ firmware level to communicate propelry with the head unit. The head unit itself must be configured using the Porsche workshop tool to drive the MOST system BOSE amplifier. There have been a number of isues with BOSE amps locking up and not functioning as a result of PCM updates , so you are being very brave if you are transplanting a bose amp from a 997 into a 987. Personally I would check the part number on the bose amp on PET and see if it matches the BOSE amp option on the model year boxster you are trying to fit it to. I can only assme you are trying to add a 997 subwoofer in a 987 boxster that does not have Bose already fitted , and therefore you are adding your own amp , using the 997 BOSE amp or trying to get the porsche head unit to drive the sub directly , which I don't think it has the power to do.

Regarding the plug you show in your post. Assuming this is the plug to the subwoofer. The 5 terminations are :

A2 +signal from amp

A3 - Signal from amp

A4 Plus switched line from amp (white/ yellow wire)

A5 Ground connection (this is a brown wire)

A6 Power feed (this is a red/ brown wire)

They are in sequence from one end to the other on the plug , the colours should help you determine which way round it goes.

The boxster 987 sub uses a 9 wire subwoofer as it has the additional inputs of the rear left and right speaker outputs (+ and - signals) as well as those listed above for the 997 unit.

These are on pins

A8 RL+

A9 RL-

A10 RR+

A11 RR-

I do not beleive these pins are in numerical order on the 987 plug. I think they run in sequence :

4,10,11,3,2,8,9,5,6 As before the colours of the wires should help you determine which end is which.

The plug that goes into the amp itself from the main harness has more that 12 pin connections , more like 22 before you count the MOST fiber optics. The 997 uses 9 speakers not including the sub woofer so thats 14 connections to start (some are paired) , even before you consider power , ground and the comms line to the sub.

Edited by berty987

Wow! Thanks for your reply.

You are correct, I am trying to use the sub amp and speakers in the Boxster, taking the appropriate input from the head unit or Nokia amp (98 Boxster). I am installing the sub speakers in the rear compartment, between the rear speakers. I will be installing a level control to give me the ability to adjust the level of the sub relative to the rear speakers, and while I am at it I may add some small tweeters with their own level controls driven by the head unit.

I bench tested last night before I saw your post and confirmed the pin configuration you described.

I have one more question, is the input to the Bose sub amp line level or pre-amplified or speaker level. (High impedance or low?) When I hooked it up to a portable CD player it sounded a bit wimpy.

Thanks again!

Edited by ianmac

I don't know for sure , but my guess is that since the subwoofer has power , it is an active rather than passive unit. This would mean it takes a "pre out" signal and locally amplifies it to avoid interefence and distortion from over amplification. The 987 and 997 bose amps differ physically and in in configuration ( set by workshop tool in the main BOSE AMP) in that the 997 has a single dedicated subwoofer signal from the amp (+and -) whereas the 987 subwoofer takes both this signal and the rear speaker signals too. This is where you may have some difficulty , especially if you plan on using the BOSE amplifier module , since the amp will be set up for a 997 which has dedicated rear speakers. The boxster does not have separate rear speakers and is designed to take the rear speaker inputs into the bose sub. If you wire the equipment as it was installed in the 997 I cannot see you being able to use the BOSE amplifier , (I cannot see how you can connect a 997 configured BOSE amp to a '98 boxster head unit using MOST) so you would need to drive the sub directly from an external source via a suitable amp with croosover / low pass network. Assuming the SUB isn't a "smart device" if the power feed and signal levels are correct , it should work. Don't forget that the sub needs not only power but also the "wake up" signal to activate. This could be a volt free contact (to ground) or a power signal at low level (max 5v?) , again I'm only guessing. If you look at the Bose car audio website you can probably pick up the extra info you need by looking at the aftermarket stuff. It's probaly all the same operation regarding how it's powered.

Assuming that the porsche head units all have the fader enabled and its just a case that the boxster's are not connected , you may be lucky in finding a rear speaker output on the back of the head unit.

Edited by berty987

• 4 years later...

Hello please can some help

i have a 997 with pcm and bose system aim try in to upgrade i have install a box with 2 8's in on the back shelf lead to a amp position in the front boot easy for wiring lol power and remote wires are sort

i have located the bose amp positioned in the front hoping to take a line out from it

with the bose amp i am confronted with an optic link and large socket connection with about 20 cables working from the left there are 5 pairs of cables (belive these to be outputs to speaker then a space then a pair of orange with a single white and yellow next to them i found that this seems to be the sub output channel for the bose sub in the footwell then a space then 4 green quite thick space and then red and black power

so i connected my line out adapter to the orange - & + and plug it into my woofer amp and hay presto it works but was extremely quite i then did little research and found that the output on the bose system is only 2ohm and would need some kine of line driver or pre amp to pump it up before i run it in to my woofer amp

so i have purchased a 7 EQ line driver quit a nice little unit so now i want to wire the 7 EQ in as well yes not only to control the my woofer but all the speaker as well. Once the EQ is in place the woofer will be no problem as it can come straight off the EQ as there is woofer line out. The EQ needs front L & R and rear L & R input and of course has front L & R and rear L & R outputs now ideally this should be wired in before the bose amp but if the amp get the audio signal via the optic link i will have to wire in after by cutting the wire off the amp thought the EQ then back out to the speaker

1) Dose the bose amp get the audio signal from pcm via the optic link and outputs thought the wires to the speakers??

2) Dose anyone know the what is which with the wires out of the bose amp ie first pair rear left second pair rear right ect??

3) Dose anyone have have the wire colours fot the bose audio system ie orange - & + sub channel

4) there are nine speakers in the car 2 in the rear 4 in the front doors 3 in dash this would equal 18 wires are there any speaker wired in series ie the 3 dash speaker so there are only 2 wires fo these 3 speakers

5) Dose anyone know which is the remote wire or out power antenna

6) Dose anyone know what watts the speaker are or what the speck of the amp is ?

i not have access the back of the head unit and was hoping i didnt need to but i have look at a picture of the back it has several sockets the optic link and 3 sockets 2 of which look like standard iso connector what wires come out of the head unit

any info or wiring diagrams would much appreciated

Edited by r3nej2

• 1 month later...

Hi,

i have the same problem as "ianmac". But i want to run the amp in a different car withou a PCM2. I´m not sure if this is possible.

The colours of the cables are differnt to mine. Maybe someone can help me, see the attached pictutes below.

Thanks al lot!

post-85357-0-48190700-1351961215_thumb.j

Edited by wmkaefer

• 1 year later...

So I installed:

Pioneer App Radio: http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/25/299/35829/SPH-DA110/page.html

Active Amplifier bypass: http://caraudiosecurity.com/ct53-po01-porsche-boxter-911-active-system-adapter

Facia http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-porsche-911-typ996-_p-27179.htm

Dash and Rear Speakers: http://www.jmgshop.com/9xx---porsche-boxster--996-dashboard-speaker-upgrade-kit-with-alpine-speakers-62-p.asp

Door speakers: http://uk.infinitysystems.com/product-detail-11657/kappa-5211i.html

Now struggling with sub wooffer / bass box options.

I have purchased a BOSE original bass (I like the factory look) .....

So questions:

1) I assume I will need an Amp?

2) Can I use the original one? Mine was the original amplified system but I guess now bypassed by the connects2 wiring?

3) What should I buy? Presumably I should then seek to run the other speakers off the amp as well?

Thanks

• 7 years later...