Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have just had the Dension Gateway 500 fitted (by a local dealer) to my 2006 997, can you tell me if there is a way to see the artisit names when searching through, at the moment I only see 4/99 for example and thus I have to know which number corresponds to which artist (a bit of guess work). I was hoping to be able to scroll through A-Z........can anyone assist as the instruction pamphlet that it came with was rather basic. Thanks

See my post in the 987 forum. For the unit to be able to see artist, genre, or track name it must be added at the rip stage when you convert from CD to MP3 format. I used media player for the task as it automatically searches the net and adds all the info for you. If you are using the unit for the first time the PCM needs to load in all the info from the USB / Ipod into memory. This takes a substantial time , the first time it initiates , so not all the data is available straight off. I have a 16GB memory stick and it took about 1.5 hours to load in all the info , this can only be done with the PCM on, so you need go for a long drive. After it has initiated you can search by folder, artist, or album. TIP : use the FOLDER for playlists and compilation CD's , using folders for every artist album only slows down the load process. The dension will sort from the ID3 tag into album and artist anyway so you are only duplicating work for yourself.

Assuming you have given the PCM sufficient time to load all the songs to its memory , and that you are selecting the top menu (just keep selecting CD list from the PCM menu) , you should see the following display.

P0001810.jpg

The only other thing to check is that your gateway unit is running the latest software. You can download the latest software onto a memory stick from the dension support site.

Once you have selected Album or artist the list should be generated after selecting the option with the r/h pcm button.

After you have selected Artist or Album there is a short delay whilst the PCM organises the data. If you have a large capacity i pod this may take a few seconds.

P0001809.jpg

Edited by berty987

Thanks for info, I can confirm the unit has the latest firmaware (2.11).

In order to get the config menu (ie toggling the switch) should this be done with the iPod connected or disconnected?

Any experience of not being able to get the config menu to appear?

Action,

I have the Dension 500 and I have at times, had display issues with the unit and Ipod. the latest update has helped but I do "loose" the data on the screen from time to time. When I say loose I mean that the menus don't configure correctly. At first I thought I may have misunderstood the very poor instructions and configured the text incorrectly and I tried to access the Config by the 6 x switch operation. I simply can't access that config anymore for some reason. Having said that I don't seem to suffer with loss of the screen data anywhere near as much as before and things have settled down nicely now.

I have the same screen as Berty and like his my main text is through Disc 5 If you have your screen on Disc 5 I would say you don't need to re-config as the way I understand the instructions is that this is the preferred position for PCM.

RB

Managed to get the config screen up, (it had been at the installerss yesterday and they said they couldn't!!!) anyway I only got options 5 & 6 (paging & select) but after accepting them I seem to be able to control everything through disc 6 - artists, albums, tracks all appear so I am as happy as I think I'll ever be.

Cheers for all the advice.

Final post (hopefully)....when scrolling through the artist they are split into pages (about 7 or 8)...will selecting the +PAGING get rid of this and leave all the artists in one scrollable page?? Same applies for Songs when quite a few oper artist.

This I don't know as I said I can't access the config anymore (I will try again when I install the next update) If you do manage to configure it so the selection is made without "turning a page" then let me know how and if I ever do get the config up again I can change. Turning the pages is the one bug bear I could do without.

RB

No need to access config to fix your problem. Simply put Dension in the iPod GW mode, then hold FFwd for 15 seconds - artist names, track titles and albums all show up after doing this. I had same problem, couldn't access config, and this worked.

• 1 month later...

After using the Aux GW MODE, hold FF you may still need to scroll through the individual settings and select them with the FF button, one at a time. Sorry it's been a while since I had to do this. That may be your problem, paging may not be turned on!

Edited by larrytrk