Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Radio/ Navi Update to pre 2009 997's

I didn't see a thread about this so I am going to start it. I am a car electronics junkie and the 2009 997's have everything that I was going to go to get done so I have decided to trash my after market job and replace my 2006 997 C4S that already has Navi with the new improved 2009 system that has ipod adapter, XM, Navi with traffic and Bluetooth. I will keep you guys updated on my progress as it happens with pics and let you know all the parts that you will have to buy as well as the cost to have it done at the dealer.

If anyone else is interested in this mod update, please post here so we can have a unified informational outlet for this big update.

Thanks!

Edited by nastinupe1

I didn't see a thread about this so I am going to start it. I am a car electronics junkie and the 2009 997's have everything that I was going to go to get done so I have decided to trash my after market job and replace my 2006 997 C4S that already has Navi with the new improved 2009 system that has ipod adapter, XM, Navi with traffic and Bluetooth. I will keep you guys updated on my progress as it happens with pics and let you know all the parts that you will have to buy as well as the cost to have it done at the dealer.

If anyone else is interested in this mod update, please post here so we can have a unified informational outlet for this big update.

Thanks!

Perfect. Keep us updated and good luck :D

Thanks!

Perfect. Keep us updated and good luck :D

Yea, I am going to go to the dealership this weekend and see if I can get a list and prices of the parts that I'm going to need to do this update. I wouldn't mind getting those LED's either. I wonder how much they will be.

Certainly an interesting project. Will you put the bose amplifier and speaker upgrade in as well ?

I already have the Bose upgrade so I doubt it. I do have a budget so this is not going to be a bottomless pit for me. I am aiming at spending less than $5000 for the upgrade. If I can't get it for less than that, then I'm bailing and will just post what is needed and the cost for everything on this thread.

Why do I get the feeling it would be cheaper to buy a 2009 and get all the goodies than try to upgrade. Look forward to watching your experience.

I paid $73,900 for my 06 997 C4S with a GT3 Kit in April. The car's retail sticker was $105,000. Noting that the new 997's are going to cost about $4000 more than the older models, my exact car would probably cost around $110,000. I'm not a hp and junkie and am totally happy with my car. These mods, along with a built in radar dector are the only things that I am planning to do to my car.

So I'd rather spend ~$5000 than pay an extra $40,000 for basically the same car.

Why do I get the feeling it would be cheaper to buy a 2009 and get all the goodies than try to upgrade. Look forward to watching your experience.

I paid $73,900 for my 06 997 C4S with a GT3 Kit in April. The car's retail sticker was $105,000. Noting that the new 997's are going to cost about $4000 more than the older models, my exact car would probably cost around $110,000. I'm not a hp and junkie and am totally happy with my car. These mods, along with a built in radar dector are the only things that I am planning to do to my car.

So I'd rather spend ~$5000 than pay an extra $40,000 for basically the same car.

I will eagerly be watching for developments on your experiment. I fear though that the cost to essentially replace most of the center stack arrangement and all the PCM guts that go with it will be far more than $5000. Given how Porsche customizes wiring harnesses etc., replacement of that stuff could be brutally expensive.

However, I'm keeping my fingers crossed to be pleasantly surprised.

Ok, I went to the dealership yesterday and spoke with the people from the parts department. They informed me that the new Navi set up is really different from the old set up because the new Navi is hard drive while the 997.1 is DVD based. Also, there's a lot of additional wiring required for the XM connection, which is a must because of the Navi-Traffic. They still don't have prices so I am still waiting. But it looks like I'm going to have to gut the entire middle Navi screen and purchase the new touchscreen one.

• 5 months later...
Ok, I went to the dealership yesterday and spoke with the people from the parts department. They informed me that the new Navi set up is really different from the old set up because the new Navi is hard drive while the 997.1 is DVD based. Also, there's a lot of additional wiring required for the XM connection, which is a must because of the Navi-Traffic. They still don't have prices so I am still waiting. But it looks like I'm going to have to gut the entire middle Navi screen and purchase the new touchscreen one.

Anyone ever considered doing an aftermarket unit? We just did an install on a 987 Cayman S w/ Bose sound system. Many of the aftermarket units are extremely robust compared to what Porsche has been putting out til the '09 models, and represents a significant savings. Food for thought.

Cheerios!

Trieullionaire

Here is the DIY on a 987 Cayman:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...mp;#entry125817

post-25824-1229565258_thumb.jpg

I've spent a fair bit of time researching the navigation systems provided by Harman Becker to porsche. The Devices use a MOST fibre optic system to communicate between themselves and the PCM which is the main command module and link to the rest of the car's CAN bus system. The MOST technology is moving onwards all the time so I would expect the newest PCM to use the level 3 system rather than the older 2.5. My expectation is that they are not compatable. The MOST devices are coded with a unique MOST address , chances are that the new MOST devices are not recognised by the older system and vice versa. Certainly all of the tech bulletins relating to replacing MOST devices require the hardware to have the same level of software as the PCM , so a new PCM in an older car with existing MOST won't work. Sorry to rain on your parade, but I think its will be cheaper and easier to fit an aftermarket navigation unit than retro fit the newer Harman Becker one. I think you will be very lucky if you are able to connect the newer PCM into an older car and get the CAN system to recognise the device or PWIS be able to configure it.