Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996tt buyers questions- tip vrs manual, modded vrs stock?

Hello, I currently have a boxster, that is the first p-car that I've had for 3 years now. I think I have enough seat time in the boxster to upgrade up to the turbo 996. I've been looking at a few online and am getting closer to the purchase and had a few questions that I'd rather ask now than figure out the hard way later on.

The first question is on the transmission- which is more prefered, tip vrs manual? Which is going to be more reliable, less costly to maintain and/or fix, and of course which is going to be faster? Does the consistancy of the automatic at this hp level and the fact that you can keep both hands on the wheel make it a better choice? Or is too much HP lost on the auto? What about resale?

Next question is if I'm considering modding the car out (prob level 4 600hp kit) am I better off buying a car with the mods or doing them myself? I know buying the car with the engine mods is probley going to be less cost but would there be a more likely chance of huge repair bills down the road?

Last question, what should a buyer look out for when purchasing a 996tt? Should I have the Porsche dealer do an inspection and what should they all check? do most sellers assume the buyer will have this done? Is the Porsche extended warrenty worth anything and what does it cover? Thanks in advance for all advice!

Here are the cars i'm looking at in order of my choice so far:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p...mp;cardist=1499

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p...mp;cardist=1571

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p...mp;cardist=1356

I first stepping into a Porsche by buying a brand new Box S. Like you i kept it for three years, then went to a 996TT.

I chose manual for three reasons. 1) Faster (from official figures, but depends how good you are at changing gears??) 2) Better fuel economy (not that it really matters) & 3) More driving pleasure (if driven as it should be). In terms of reliability, i dont know how reliable Tips are, but clearly you have to buy a new clutch when it wears out. If driven correctly, i'd suggest that it will last in excess of 50k miles. I had mine replaced at 30k (other work was being done in that area and killed two birds with one stone to save labour) and they said it was about half worn. The issues i have had with the manual/clutch is the release baring (why the work was being done in that area) the slave cylinder and the accumulator (clurch fluid reservoir).

Which brings me nicely onto the extended warrantee and Porsche check. I bought from private dealer and got them to take it to Porsche (Hatfield UK) to do their check (around £200). If this is thumbs up, it allows you to buy a Porsche warrantee at (now) £895/annum. This covers all major stuff, apart from trim, fixings and wear etc and two of the three issues i had above (slave cyl, and baring). I have also had a few other issues over the last 3 years of owber ship and basically have got my money back for the warrantee 3 fold. So from my point of view, it was well worth it. It is as you find it tough and some may disagree. Maybe you have it on for the first year at least, that way anything crops up you should be covered.

Personally i would look for an unmodified X50 996TT. Taht way you know the baseline and you know what you are doing to it. Otherwise you have absolutley no idea what stresses and strains have been put onto the vehicle it is not designed for?? Keep in mind though, if you modify ANY of the mechanics/electrics, NO Porsche warrntee will be able to be purschased or honoured. Happy shopping.

I have a Tip myself and love it; if you're thinking about tracking, go with 6speed. Some say 6speed are faster, but I know mine is fast. However, I know that 130-top is faster with 6speed.

I have not heard anyone needed to replace a Tip transmission and only heard a seal problem from one person. But manual clutch needs to be replaced especially you are going to high hp. The Tip should take up to 700hp without a problem.

Yes on dealer PPI.

Buying a mod car is fine, most abuse comes from tracking. My car is mod'd (stock when purchased), and I don't abuse the car; only do a wot once awhile. It is good to know the age of the owner too.

• 3 weeks later...