Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Radio removal problem

So I purchased a wired FM modulator so that I can get an aux input. I needed to get to the back of it to rewire the antenna lead to pass through the FM modulator.

There are several how-tos with pictures out there for radio removal on a 987. I viewed them, understood them, got the needed torx and wrenches and went to work.

However I cannot get the 4 fingers pushed in. The little plactic gizmos that are supposed to rotate and push them in do nothing. As I manipulated it, one fell right out. Its as if they were not installed correctly at the factory.

I am thinking about cutting off the fingers but not sure I can get a tool in there to do it.

Anyone have similar problems? Any ideas? Help, help help!

Once again, this is a 987 not a 986; the mounting and removal are completely different.

TIA

Alan

So I purchased a wired FM modulator so that I can get an aux input. I needed to get to the back of it to rewire the antenna lead to pass through the FM modulator.

There are several how-tos with pictures out there for radio removal on a 987. I viewed them, understood them, got the needed torx and wrenches and went to work.

However I cannot get the 4 fingers pushed in. The little plactic gizmos that are supposed to rotate and push them in do nothing. As I manipulated it, one fell right out. Its as if they were not installed correctly at the factory.

I am thinking about cutting off the fingers but not sure I can get a tool in there to do it.

Anyone have similar problems? Any ideas? Help, help help!

Once again, this is a 987 not a 986; the mounting and removal are completely different.

TIA

Alan

The trick is to push the tab in and then turn the 'plastic gizmo' to hold the tab in place, the 'gizmos' are not really upto moving the tabs on their own. BTW there is also a 'security' bolt on the right hand side which has to be undone.

Alan or Nick, I'm going to be adding a modulator very shortly (in fact, waiting for my Kenwood KOS-A200 to be delivered today).

I've done several searches and only found a non-existent pdf, although I've found a few good text descriptions. Could you link some of those how-tos that have pictures? Thanks.

The 'plastic gizmos' are indeed sucky - I had one fall out last week, but kept diligently poking at the wee metal ears and finally got one side to come out just that little bit that made the other side also come out - it was a good while of pushing and pulling the Pecker CD24 before it finally came, but it did come out easily once it started moving. As Nickusa says don't forget the one bolt on the RH side of the unit. Once the deck is out of the way it's all smooth sailing - the only thing I would recommend is ensuring that you have some zip ties or velcro handy to secure the modulator - there is lots of room for it, but mot much for anchor points, and if you don't anchor it it will likely wind up underfoot.

Took me a bit to figure out those plastic gizmos, but it worked the first time.

Without pictures and in such cramped quarters, I had to kind of guess at how they worked.

Picture 4 metal clips that lock the radio when it's slid into place. If you could push all 4 in simultaneously, the radio would slide back out. The plastic gizmos hold them in while you work on others... just push in the clip all the way, and rotate the plastic gizmo to hold the clip in that position. If you can't do it with the gizmos, you might want to get another set of hands to help you push them all in so that you can remove the radio.

I couldn't actually get a driver into the upper left gizmo, so I just pushed that one in by hand and the radio came right out.

Installation of the KOS-A200 was straightforward until I needed power. It was easy enough to get unswitched power by tapping off the 12vdc outlet from that carpeted piece removed in the passenger side, but it also needs switched power. I found it's basically impossible to find a switched power cable for the radio itself being on/off. Radio stays on until key is removed, so that's not quite switched power, at least not switched by the ignition. I ended up running a wire to the fuse box and tapping into an unused switched fuse receptacle.

Anyways, I ran the cables along the console and put the KOS-A200 behind the driver seat. It's a sizable unit, and I didn't want to struggle with trying to mount it behind the radio. The driver seat is closer to the engine than I wanted, but there isn't any noise.

The one thing that annoys me with basically all FM modulators, is they are STILL too quiet compared to the other stations ... so there's a big difference if you switch stations.

Edited by stef