Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Found a NorCal distributor for Mobil 1 5W 50

I've been reading on the various forums how folks can't seem to find any distributor who carries Mobil 5W-50...and that it's apparently on the list of Porsche approved oils.....but there were no outlets who carried it. Most of the folks are running the Mobil 1 0-40 as the Porsche recommended oil....but with the heat here in the Sacramento Valley, I was looking for something with a bit more viscosity....hence the search for a distributor.

I also found that this outlet also carried the Delvac 75W-90 gear oil which is the Porsche approved replacemnt for the 996TT manual transmissions as well as the front differential. I had a series of discussions with a number of the recommended tuners and builders and was informed that you needed to use the Delvac rather than the usual off-the-shelf stuff from Kragan's or Autozone....but I could only find it back east and they charged me $42 a gallon plus $11 for shipping!

Well guess what...I found the distributor right down the road in the town of Ceres, CA who sell the Mobil 1 5W-50 in the six pack quarts (won't sell broken cases) for around $35 per six-pak. He also sells the Delvac 75W 90 for around $25 a gallon and will break the case lots and sell by the gallon. If you're planning on changing out your tranny fluids, you need just shy of a gallon for the tranny and about 1.5 quarts for the differential...so you'll need to buy two gallons. These guys sell their products for about half of what I paid to that dogone company back east.

If you would like to order, you can call Vine Fuels at 800-464-8363 and tell them you're with the "Porsche Group". I set it up so that they'd give you any break they could if you were with the Porsche group.....but remember that with the price of oil fluctuating the way it is, there could be a dollar or two difference in the prices at any given time. Any guys in the Sacramento area can contact me and I could do a group buy and make a run to Ceres and pick up case lots to save you all having to do it separately. My email is fishoncj@aol.com. Ceres is only about an hour's drive down Hwy 99 from where I live.

Their website is www.vinefuels.com

Hope this helps those of you who might want to change out your own tranny fluid and save a couple hundred dollars. I'm wondering if the 5W-50 might be a little better to run in the summer heat around here. I know I usually run thru a quart of the 0-40 about every 1500 miles or so....maybe the heavier viscosity would cut down on that a bit? It's not a big deal becasue all the TT's usually eat a bit of oil as a normal part of their "diet".

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Jones

• Moderators

All the TT, Cayenne Turbo, GT2 and GT3 engines are filled up with Mobil 5W-50 over here, to reduce oil consumption with good results.

That's what I heard....was that the folks on the continent and in the UK had access to this weight, but it wasn't readily available in the US.....that didn't make sense to me, so I went on a hunt and Voila! Next time I do an oil change I'll switch over. Especially in this area that doesn't see the sub zero temps at all, it doesn't make much sense to run a 0 viscosity....other than the fact it's what Porsche recommends. I don't think it makes any difference for the turbos since a viscosity of 5 would still be a good lubricant, and my 930 turbo is running 20-50.

• 3 months later...

Briging this back up... there doesn't seem to be any 'Porsche Group' at Vine, so I set up an account for myself. Did I do something wrong?

Apparently I did - no 5W50 available. But here http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107297 it says that FORD dealerships of all places should have it?

Edited by nmlss

• 1 month later...
Briging this back up... there doesn't seem to be any 'Porsche Group' at Vine, so I set up an account for myself. Did I do something wrong?

Apparently I did - no 5W50 available. But here http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107297 it says that FORD dealerships of all places should have it?

i called today and they have the mobil 1 5w-50 in stock, also the delvac 75w-90 gear oil. only problem is that u must have an acct with them and they will not sell the gear oil by the gallon but only by the case of 4 so i guess i need to find someone to share it with.........if anyone is interested in the southern CA area PM me i am located in the SF valley.

I have 15 gallons of 5W-50 sitting in the garage if someone needs some...I bought a bunch in the event some folks might have difficulty finding it. I'll probably only keep about 2 oil changes worth of the oil for future use since I usually change at around 7500.

Dez: When I went down there to pick up my oil, I thought that they told me they would sell the Delvac in less than four gallon lots...it's the 5W-50 they didn't want to bust the quart case lots on and would only sell by the six-pak. I'll call them and see if there's some misinformaton there....

I called and spoke to Tony....he said there were two gallons of the DELVAC sitting on the shelf that he'd sell me right then. I asked if they had a policy about not breaking case lots of the gallon containers of the DELVAC, and that you had been informed they wouldn't do it...and he said NO....you might have spoken to one of the girls in the front office who aren't really sure of policy....I'm not knocking the front office....but ask to speak to Tony....he will break case lots of the gallons of DELVAC and ship to you.

Sorry you're having so much difficulty with what should be a relatively simple process of selling you some DELVAC.

Chuck