Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Water behind rear seat, car doesn't start. What to expect?

Car is a 2000 986s

6 speed

I went to start the box this morning, turned the key, and nothing, tried again... NOTHING. Then the alarm started going off! :mad:

Placing my hand under the driver seat revealed 3" of water, and the alarm module was totally under water. I removed the seat, disconnected the module and shop vaced out the water in my car.

I then took the computer inside, opened it up, dried it out, and that's pretty much where I am right now.

The remotes don't work to lock or unlock the doors, or the trunk. Both front and rear trunk release in the car appear to be stuck closed.

A couple of questions for those who have been here before:

* When the alarm computer finished drying out, and I put it back in the car my understanding is the car may be in a 'failsafe' mode where it is dead until a Porsche dealer hooks it up to their scan tool and resets something? Can anyone tell me more about this? How much does it cost?

* I suppose (looking at the pictures) there is a good chance my alarm module is toast, is there a way to diagnose this before going to the dealer?

* Is it possible to purchase a used alarm module from ebay or a junkyard and have it reprogrammed, or is this something that the dealer must buy new?

Thanks for the help!

-Eric

Pictures to follow:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by HammerESQ

Hello,

If you nabbed the box quick enough and really dried it out (give contacts a good clean while your at it) your probably ok. ( if it has a lot of corrosion you probably are not (it looks O.K. in pics)). Also, if there is any surface corrosion (looks like mold, wire brush (with tooth brush like brass) with contact cleaener. Can''t hurt. I know of no way to test it outside of the car. Just plug it in and see if it goes.

I don't know about a junkyard unit but I had an indie shop diagnose and put a new one in for about $450. I bet the dealer is twice that.

While the source of the problem is probably the drains on either side of the engine hatch. Do yourself a favor though, dill a few 3/8 holes around the low spots in floor back there. Prime them and you'll never have to worry again. Then hunt down the leak.

Regards, PK

BTW

Edited by pk2

I would say first you need to determine how water got inside the car. The most common place is the drains in the rear cabtop compartment. Check and make sure they're not clogged and there are no holes in the drainage trays.

Once you figure this out, you'll almost certain need a new immobilizer. If the immobilizer is fried enough there will be no fail safe, the car will flat out not start. A tow is likely in your future. There is a chance if you let it dry out for long enough it may be able to start the car though the car may do crazy things with the windows and locks. There really is no diagnosis when theres water damage involved. Either it starts the car and operates normally or its toast. About the only thing is whether or not the PIWIS tester can communicate with it. If by some miracle it can, the dealer can read out your old keys and transfer them to a new control unit. If not, you're in for all news too.

You can buy an immobilzer from a junk yard and use it as long as you have the correct DME and Immobilizer programming number. There are a few different immobilizers from year to year and depending on the options so make sure you get the correct one. From there you'll need to take the programming numbers to a dealer, or a shop with at least a PST2 so they can program the Immobilizer to your car.

Mine was drowned 3 times. The first after it sat drowned and idle for a month, it was dead and looked it. The other 2 times I nabbed it within a couple of days, dried it out and was of to the races. The last was 4 years ago. Still works fine.

PK

Edited by pk2

Check as other said the "gutters" under the roof, beside blockages make sure they are not split as mine were

Bruce

Car is a 2000 986s

6 speed

I went to start the box this morning, turned the key, and nothing, tried again... NOTHING. Then the alarm started going off! :mad:

Placing my hand under the driver seat revealed 3" of water, and the alarm module was totally under water. I removed the seat, disconnected the module and shop vaced out the water in my car.

I then took the computer inside, opened it up, dried it out, and that's pretty much where I am right now.

The remotes don't work to lock or unlock the doors, or the trunk. Both front and rear trunk release in the car appear to be stuck closed.

A couple of questions for those who have been here before:

* When the alarm computer finished drying out, and I put it back in the car my understanding is the car may be in a 'failsafe' mode where it is dead until a Porsche dealer hooks it up to their scan tool and resets something? Can anyone tell me more about this? How much does it cost?

* I suppose (looking at the pictures) there is a good chance my alarm module is toast, is there a way to diagnose this before going to the dealer?

* Is it possible to purchase a used alarm module from ebay or a junkyard and have it reprogrammed, or is this something that the dealer must buy new?

Thanks for the help!

-Eric

Pictures to follow:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

I just noticed water under my driver side seat. Not alot but enough to concern me. Where exactly am i supposed to look for leaks. I read the above posts but am not exactly sure what you are all talking about. I know there is a drain behind my left shoulder. I pour a little water in there and it seemed to go right down through the car and on to the street. So is there another place that i should be checking? Can someone post pics of the area or areas??

Thanks

There are drains located under the front hood, both side of the battery tray. Located directly beneath the V-levers , bottom of the foam liners.

known to clog very easy,,,

Hi guys

I just noticed water under my driver side seat. Not alot but enough to concern me. Where exactly am i supposed to look for leaks. I read the above posts but am not exactly sure what you are all talking about. I know there is a drain behind my left shoulder. I pour a little water in there and it seemed to go right down through the car and on to the street. So is there another place that i should be checking? Can someone post pics of the area or areas??

Thanks