Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I need tire advice

I will be needing tires soon. I am actually quite happy with the OEM ContiSportContact2's. They really seem to hug these twisty roads in Kentucky, wet or dry. Does anyone have experience with the newer ContiSportContact 3's?

I would recommend the Michellin PS2's. But if you like the Contis, buy them again. You will save money over the PS's

Do you have 18 or 19? How many miles did you get?

Edited by White987S

Lots of feedback and suggestions on these and many other tires here, take some time to do a little searching.

I have only had experience with the Michelin Pilot Sports and Pilot Sport PS2's on the boxster. Liked them both, but hands down prefer the PS2's. Once again I'll quote another members comment from a previous thread and I agree when he said:

I have PS2's on my car now and unless I am flat broke, I am going to keep putting them on my boxster. Excellent traction in all sorts of weather...

:D

I will be needing tires soon. I am actually quite happy with the OEM ContiSportContact2's. They really seem to hug these twisty roads in Kentucky, wet or dry. Does anyone have experience with the newer ContiSportContact 3's?

Is it just the rears you need, and is the dealer telling you that the Conti2 is no longer available and you need all 4?

If so you may get the fronts for free as PCNA are finally sorting this out but this hasn't been communicated very well to either the customer or indeed the dealers.

Edited by Nick_USA

Is it just the rears you need, and is the dealer telling you that the Conti2 is no longer available and you need all 4?

If so you may get the fronts for free as PCNA are finally sorting this out but this hasn't been communicated very well to either the customer or indeed the dealers.

Nick, there is a reason these "Agreements" between owners and Porsche are not communicated very well. They are Confidential Agreements, and Porsche requires a signed statement as such.

Nick, there is a reason these "Agreements" between owners and Porsche are not communicated very well. They are Confidential Agreements, and Porsche requires a signed statement as such.

Well as I have not signed an agreement, for those with Conti2 tires fitted to the cars this is what I have been told:

The Conti tires are 10/32's tread depth new.

If you get a puncture in the tire it will require the replacement of all 4 tires.

If the tread depth is 4/32 or greater then Porsche will pay for 3 of the 4 tires, the owner pays for the 4th tires which is the one that got a puncture. For example if you were driving Michelin tires and got a puncture and had to replace a single tire, you'd have to buy the tire so having to buy the one with the puncture is no different than any other brand. What Porsche is saying is that tires are to be replaced when they hit the wear bars which is at 2/32's I believe, meaning if your tires are at 4/32's you've used up 75% or more of the life of the tire. If the tires are above 4/32's then Porsche is picking up the tab to replace the 3 that didn't get punctures.

A similar situation may exist for those requiring just rears due to wear with the fronts being replaced for free, but expect to pay for both the rears.

Remember this is not being advertised by PCNA or communicated to dealers so if you don't kick up a fuss don't expect any assistance!! Get the service manager to call PCNA, the aftersales guy who looks after tires is Tim Reeder 1-770-290-3644

Edited by Nick_USA

Well as I have not signed an agreement, for those with Conti2 tires fitted to the cars this is what I have been told:

The Conti tires are 10/32's tread depth new.

If you get a puncture in the tire it will require the replacement of all 4 tires.

If the tread depth is 4/32 or greater then Porsche will pay for 3 of the 4 tires, the owner pays for the 4th tires which is the one that got a puncture. For example if you were driving Michelin tires and got a puncture and had to replace a single tire, you'd have to buy the tire so having to buy the one with the puncture is no different than any other brand. What Porsche is saying is that tires are to be replaced when they hit the wear bars which is at 2/32's I believe, meaning if your tires are at 4/32's you've used up 75% or more of the life of the tire. If the tires are above 4/32's then Porsche is picking up the tab to replace the 3 that didn't get punctures.

A similar situation may exist for those requiring just rears due to wear with the fronts being replaced for free, but expect to pay for both the rears.

Remember this is not being advertised by PCNA or communicated to dealers so if you don't kick up a fuss don't expect any assistance!! Get the service manager to call PCNA, the aftersales guy who looks after tires is Tim Reeder 1-770-290-3644

I also recommend research at TireRack.com. You can read the stats and other people's reviews.

Also keeps the dealer honest on pricing. My dealer actually gave me TireRack prices and no shipping charges.

Thanks very much, guys. I will definitely follow up with my dealer re: changing all four tires.

But my original question was, does anyone out there have experience with ContiSportContact 3' shoes?

I have only had experience with the Michelin Pilot Sports and Pilot Sport PS2's on the boxster. Liked them both, but hands down prefer the PS2's.

I have a set of Michelin Pilot Sports on my '06 now. What makes the PS2 that much better? Also what is the average life span for the Pilot Sports (I don't track my car).

Thanks.

I have a set of Michelin Pilot Sports on my '06 now. What makes the PS2 that much better? Also what is the average life span for the Pilot Sports (I don't track my car).

Thanks.

I got 20k on my first set of tires, Pilot Sports. I now have PS2's on my 2006 987S. They are great, but I don't see any difference (yet) vs. the PS.

I got 20k on my first set of tires, Pilot Sports. I now have PS2's on my 2006 987S. They are great, but I don't see any difference (yet) vs. the PS.

Umm...Good info to know. Thanks. Mine is running around 24,000 KM. Always wonder what life expectancy I can get from them. With that said, I am impressed with the Sports' overall performance.