Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Drivers Side Mirror Snapped Off by Vandals - Replacement Help?

So I walked out to my car this morning in my parking garage and I found my drivers side mirror hanging there by the cord only. It appears someone snapped the whole mirror right off the car, the metal connector snapped in half. Attached below are some pics of the actual damage and I was wondering what parts I will need to replace in order to re attach the mirror. I searched the forum and I see there are like 13 different parts to the outside mirror and I hope that I don't have to replace the entire thing but maybe just the part that holds the mirror housing onto the door. Any help you guys can give would be appreciated.

post-178-1216389299_thumb.jpg

post-178-1216389309_thumb.jpg

post-178-1216389316_thumb.jpg

post-178-1216389321_thumb.jpg

You are going to have to look and see which parts are actually broken.

post-1-1216389959_thumb.png

Looking at the chart it is hard to figure out. The only part that is physically broken is that metal part in my pictures, all else is good but if I had to pick the parts I would say part #4 and possibly the #14/17 line. Unless that the movable joint to fold the mirror in is part of the full housing (#2) I don't think I would need that. The internals (mirror, motor, bottom of the housing (#10), and the actual painted housing) are all in fine shape.

Any idea what part that metal part belongs too?

Here is the complete parts list. I do not know if you have the self-dimming mirror or not so you will need to pick the correct parts based on your options.

996_door_mirror.pdf

Loren, Thank you! I disassembled my mirror last night and it does appear that I need to replace part #5 on the diagram only. the part number listed in my mirror was 996-731-219-04 and that is listed on the sheet you attached. There are a lot of other #5 part numbers listed, do I need to order all of them or just the one. The car is a 2004 BoxS without the auto dimming mirrors.

• Admin
Here is the complete parts list. I do not know if you have the self-dimming mirror or not so you will need to pick the correct parts based on your options.

996_door_mirror.pdf

Loren, Thank you! I disassembled my mirror last night and it does appear that I need to replace part #5 on the diagram only. the part number listed in my mirror was 996-731-219-04 and that is listed on the sheet you attached. There are a lot of other #5 part numbers listed, do I need to order all of them or just the one. The car is a 2004 BoxS without the auto dimming mirrors.

You need to check your options list and see if you have option 266 (self-dimming) or option 537 (seat memory). Then order by year and options.

Jeff Clark at Sunset Imports (Porsche Parts at Dealer Cost) can help make sure you get the right part (and at a discount).