Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Clarion MAX983HD + BLT583

Hi all,

Just a few notes regarding my install, in case anybody wants to do a similar thing. My TT had the PCM1, with 16bit nav, CD changer and Bose option, non MOST.

1 - The PCM1 16bit nav unit has the same GPS antenna plug/socket as the Clarion, meaning this was a direct plug and play deal with Porsche GPS antenna. Saved me a load of work;

2 - The in-dash microphone may be used with the Clarion, but the factory gain setting must be lowered. To do that, pry the speaker cover out, and on the right side of the microphone housing you will find a little hole with a screw just visible inside. There's a label on top, with 3 positions. Factory setting is 3, reduce it to 2. This way it will work fine with both the phone and voice recognition features;

3- To bypass the parking brake feature, simply ground the light green Clarion wire;

4 – The VSS wire may be found in two places: black PCM1 plug: grey/pink cable and in the nav/CD drive unit, also grey/pink cable in its single plug;

5 – The microphone cables to tap to reuse it are found in the PCM1 headunit blue plug: brown/white (ground) and white (signal);

6 – Remote amplifier turn-on cable is the red/black cable in the PCM1 small yellow plug. Since the Clarion has no dedicated amplifier turn-on cable I simply used switched power to interface with the Bose amplifier;

7 - I removed the 2-Din cage of the PCM1 and replaced it with Clarion's own, relatively easy job. I attached the Clarion cage to the plastic housing with self tapping screws, PC variety.

8 - The Clarion bog-standard dash trim is useable, just add a 13 mm plastic bar on top and it's a done deal. I had bought trillieunaire's kit off ebay, and this plastic bit came off his bezel (his kit is NOT very useable in case of PCM cars). That and the FM antenna adapter were the only things I used from his kit.

9 - This unit has the permanent power and switched power connected à la VW/Audi/Porsche, so no need to switch the yellow with the red power wires.

BTW, I have an iPhone 3G on order, will install it in the OEM phone bracket. I tested a iPhone 1st gen with this setup and it worked brilliantly: iPhone charged, uploaded the whole phonebook to the Clarion via Bluetooth and the iPOD interface also worked perfectly. The distributor told me the iPhone 3G should work like the 1st gen.

I will add a couple of pics as soon as I take some.

Hope this is useful to someone.

Luís

post-18763-1217330404_thumb.jpg

post-18763-1217330413_thumb.jpg

post-18763-1217330423_thumb.jpg

post-18763-1217330434_thumb.jpg

post-18763-1217330446_thumb.jpg

post-18763-1217330461_thumb.jpg

Edited by laalves

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I have received the iPhone 3G, and:

1 - Bluetooth is brilliant, the whole phonebook got uploaded, as well as last/missed calls list;

2 - iPOD interface is lightning fast, one doesn't notice any delay in uploading anything, sees playlists, albums, etc. Does not show album art nor does it do video with the iPhone. In the book it says it will play video with "normal" iPODs;

3 - It does NOT charge..... meaning Clarion went the easy way charging via Firewire pins, 12V instead of USB pins, 5V.

But, regarding 3, I found a neat solution, available for everyone (including the US!) that has the same problem, with a car radio iPOD interface that does not charge: http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=171079. I have confirmed with tech support @ carcomm and they confirmed this craddle will convert 12V Firewire to 5V USB! As soon as it is available, I'll get one.

• 3 weeks later...
Ok, I have received the iPhone 3G, and:

1 - Bluetooth is brilliant, the whole phonebook got uploaded, as well as last/missed calls list;

2 - iPOD interface is lightning fast, one doesn't notice any delay in uploading anything, sees playlists, albums, etc. Does not show album art nor does it do video with the iPhone. In the book it says it will play video with "normal" iPODs;

3 - It does NOT charge..... meaning Clarion went the easy way charging via Firewire pins, 12V instead of USB pins, 5V.

But, regarding 3, I found a neat solution, available for everyone (including the US!) that has the same problem, with a car radio iPOD interface that does not charge: http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=171079. I have confirmed with tech support @ carcomm and they confirmed this craddle will convert 12V Firewire to 5V USB! As soon as it is available, I'll get one.

Hello,

I've received the MAX983HD yesterday and it's beautiful.

I'm installing it right now and I have 3 questions:

1. Where is the GPS antenna hooked up? I can't find it on the PCM therefore I don't know what to connect to the Clarion.

2. Where is the microphone hooked up? Again, I can't find it on the PCM so I can't connect it to the Clarion. And where is the actual microphone inside the car?

3. Where is the CD changer hooked up? Again I can't find it on the PCM.

If I find somewhere a PCM schematic it would be very very helpful, probably I could answere the above questions myself. My car is a 2002 Turbo and on the PCM I see the following:

Typ: IDIS

Model No: BE 2582

Serial No: 15010403

12 Volt EC 104

Thanks for any suggestions/pointers!

Regards

Hi,

1 - The Porsche GPS antenna is connected to the back of the nav computer, not to the PCM main unit. You need to remove it also.

2 - The actual microphone is behind the round grill on the left of the instrument cluster. As for schematics, I'll PM you;

3 - The CD changer is hooked to the PCM main unit. See the PM I'll send you.

Have fun!

Luis

Hi,

1 - The Porsche GPS antenna is connected to the back of the nav computer, not to the PCM main unit. You need to remove it also.

2 - The actual microphone is behind the round grill on the left of the instrument cluster. As for schematics, I'll PM you;

3 - The CD changer is hooked to the PCM main unit. See the PM I'll send you.

Have fun!

Luis

Hello,

Thank you very much for the help and the schematic! I was able to install it and it works great, I love it!

I still have a couple of small issues:

1. The plastic frame that goes around the Clarion seems to be too big. When I open up the unit to put a dvd in it, it catches the plastic frame and stop opening basically. It came with the MAX983HD from Clarion (in a different package though). So I don't understand how it's supposed to work because it seems too wide to allow the MAX983 to open. I wonder if it's for something else.

2. THe microphone from my car is missing unfortunately. I check bechind the round grill on the left where is supposed to be and it's nothing there. Weird. Perhaps I'll use the Clarion microphone.

BTW, where to you hook up a cd changer to the MAX983HD? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks,

Laurentiu

Hello,

I just spoke to the Clarion dealer and he said:

1. The thin frame that goes around the unit will come from Porsche around Nov timeframe. So he knew that the one he gave me won't fit.

2. If I want a CD changer I'll have to get one from Clarion, the OEM one won't work with the MAX983. So I'll just use my iPod then.

Thanks again for the help!

Regards

Hello,

1. The thin frame that goes around the unit will come from Porsche around Nov timeframe. So he knew that the one he gave me won't fit.

2. If I want a CD changer I'll have to get one from Clarion, the OEM one won't work with the MAX983. So I'll just use my iPod then.

Regards

Hi,

Glad you could solve your issues. You mean Clarion will release a frame for the 996 in November? That is great!

Who is your dealer?

Hello,

Regards

Hi,

Glad you could solve your issues. You mean Clarion will release a frame for the 996 in November? That is great!

Who is your dealer?

Hi,

My dealer is Car Stereo Centrum in Bremen and their phone number is: +49 421 491 4445. Great guy btw, very friendly and helpful!

I don't know if you find these in the US. Did you call Clarion?

Regards

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I finally found an ABS Plate that matches the 996 plastic (see pictures). As it is 2mm thin, how would you fill the 1.5cm behind the faceplate?

post-29307-1227042254_thumb.jpg

post-29307-1227042287_thumb.jpg

Also, replacing 13cm door speaker with 16.5cm Kicker sub did help, but I do not know how to fill the gap behind the glove box (Dynaplate?).

post-29307-1227042539_thumb.jpg

Any idea is welcome :-)

ps: laalves, your install is awesome!!

rgds,

pierre