Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Changing 997 Gauge faces for OEM painted ones - easy or PITA?

Anyone come across specific info on removing the needles yet?

pull them off. nothing specific. here is cayenne info that comes with gemballa faces.

Thanks buddy- I couldn't confirm whether 997 is same as CTT, tried calling / emailing Gemballa and no one responds.. If I feel brave today I might give it a shot.

the instructions seem kind of retarded- looking at #5, it says "turn needles to left until stop then pull up" - but the arrow shows turning to right! Also, not all of the needles can go left because of their arrangement, for example the oil pressure gauge on right side (997). Did you find the instructions odd and do something different?

Edited by p0rsch3

ok I just got it done- what a total pain changing the faces! The clock and trip counter knobs pull straight off. they are press-fit. The plastic cover on the gauges is a hassle to free up due to inner locking tabs on the top of the silver cover. You'll need to pry around with a small screwdriver to get the center top portion of the cover off.

The needles are press-fit so you just have to make sure they are at "0" when you take them off and put them back on. You'll need to use two small screwdrivers under the head of the needle to "pop" them up and then pull straight off with fingers. It is not a task for the faint of heart, becuase if you pry crooked you'll break the needle shaft...

Then, after needles are off you have to pry out the little black locking circles that go around the needle hole. These black snap-in circles hold down the OEM gauge faces. You'll need a sharp dental pick to get under the rim and twist them out. When they pop out, they fly 5 feet. Again, not for the faint of heart.

This was like brain surgery- you have to be very precise and very careful. I don't think I would do it again.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm resurrecting this thread to make suggestion. To pull out the gauge cluster, I used small suction cups to assist in forward pulling of the cluster. The acrylic lenses are cleaned to ensure that dust does not scratch the face. I then used small automotive suction cups to help pull the instrument cluster forward.