Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Start up noise: band saw/electric blower

renntechers,

Has anyone ever heard something like this -

For the last 2 days, on cold start, I hear a sound coming from the right of the engine that sounds like an electric band saw or blower.... It's very metallic and sounds like it revs up and then it's gone in 10-20 seconds. Not terribly loud, but noticable. It starts right after the car catches...

Sort of strange... Any ideas?

Edited by Malakas

I am now getting a very loud sound , like heavy rattling when I start the car cold, I dont know if is a broken muffler or are the timing chain rattling like crazy on start up.

I had that problem and the cause for me was the cam belt tensioner. The noise started happening when the weather turned cold like 35°F or less and the car sat for more than around 3 hrs after being warmed up. The noise sounded hellatious like a bad rod or something.

Have a spot on Autopartswarehouse

Drive Safely and Move Freely

All threads need pix: :D

front34.jpg

Well, I think I mis-spoke a little....

when I meant cold start... I just meant the first start up in the morning. Not literally cold ambient temperature - I wish, Houston is about 85F at 7am.

This morning I paid more attention to the sound - it is very faint... but VERY high pitched - just like your neighbor 3 doors down was using an electric blower. With the windows up its much less noticeable. It lasts for about 30 seconds, then it fades, comes back a little, and then fades away.

Loren, do you still think this could be the air pump?

I'm planning to AX next month, and then DE in October... since the car is only 3 months new to me, I want to make sure there are no warning signs in the motor before i push it a little.

THANKS>

Fair enough - I will un-plug and check.

THANKS as usual!!

bro you're new to the car and you're listening for every single odd (new to you) noise. just chill, have a beer, lean back and enjoy the drive before you do this.

plus, we all know what your car looks like. it's a bone stock c4s in a weird color. lol

seriously, just drive the thing and enjoy life instead of trying to find faults in the car and get diagnosis online where no one can see the car in person.

• Moderators

The sound that you are describing is the secondary air pump. This is the same pump used on audis and VWs (and the Bugatti Veyron, but it has 2 pumps) and it will get noisy over time, including a sort of metallic whine sound. Sometimes they will get a leaf sucked in the housing, and the leaf will make noise against the squirrel cage fan. No worry, they all make noise of one sort or another.

FYI, if unplug the fan and start the car, you may trigger a CEL that will say that the secondary air pump is not working. It will not autoclear, you must use a tester to clear it.

BTW, Orient Red is not a "weird" color, it is the signature Porsche Color. :thumbup:

BTW, Orient Red is not a "weird" color, it is the signature Porsche Color. :thumbup:

Way to support the Orient Red brotherhood!! :D

Ben, I think you are right. I mean sh!t, it's a mechanical part, and if it's wearing, sooner or later, the problem will declare itself when it brakes.

But some of the fun is obsessing over the little stuff - and while, I agree, it's usually trivial - it does provide a means to interact with cool And knowledgeable people online -- and even learn a thing or two. B)