Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help with 3.4l

Updated Profile

--Todd

Your really making me work to solve this.

So from what I am getting the only way to gaurantee that I have the right program is to be able to read the ecu. With that in mind I looked into the Durametric Enthusiast Package. Reading the ecu feature --Some modules are capable of displaying information about the car that is not fault related. Sometimes this information is nothing more than the part number or firmware number, but in some cases it displays a lot of interesting information about the vehicle. To access this information click on "ECU Identification".

Doesn't sound like the gaurantee it either?

At this point tell me what to do.

-Mitesh

I appreciate, and will take you up on that. I am taking the kids on a mini vacation and will be back 9-09-08. Thanks to other posters I know where the dme is. How do I get it out and lastley where do I send it to.

-Thanks

Mitesh

Found instructions on Rennsport systems .. looks simple enough .... Remove holding bollts and release multi connector. :D

Just to be sure it is a silver box right?

Edited by PA3.4l

Yes, as long as you don't have a tiptronic, it will be the only silver box there. Just make sure to disconnect the battery prior to removing the DME. Send me a PM and I'll give you the details on where to send the DME.

-Todd

Just got a call from the shop they confirm that 6700rpm is probably boxster program. The thought is that it didn't take the flash and a new ecu is going to be $2000. Any thoughts. I'm thinking maybe it wasn't flashed. There notes say it was. So at this point they will look at the car and try to reflash it if this doesn't work where can I get a ecu that can be flashed for less than $2000.

Mitesh

Just got a call from the shop they confirm that 6700rpm is probably boxster program. The thought is that it didn't take the flash and a new ecu is going to be $2000. Any thoughts. I'm thinking maybe it wasn't flashed. There notes say it was. So at this point they will look at the car and try to reflash it if this doesn't work where can I get a ecu that can be flashed for less than $2000.

Mitesh

I agree that the lower redline is an indication that the flash was not successful. If you have the correct programming code and they are doing it right it should take the flash. I had a problem flashing mine and it turned out that the dealer had mistyped my vin and therefore given me the wrong codes. When you enter the wrong code the error message the PIWIS gives you when you try to change the program is totally vague and it's not at all obvious that the problem is an incorrect code.

If I were you I would doublecheck the programming code before spending a ton of money on an unnecessary DME replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

Back from vacation I am goiing to have the shop retry the flash.. if not I guess I need a newer $2000 ecu.

Side note.. once I get the 996 program what can I expect in terms of performance other than a higher rev limiter. Is it like night and day.

I would seriously check the programming codes since that is probably the issue. Either that or the shop doesn't know what they're doing.

If it comes down to it, I have an extra DME I can sell you (with the correct programming codes). But I really don't think you need to replace your DME.

• 1 year later...

Do you have the p/n's for these? I can't seem to find them, and looking at the catalog, there are a few choices. I will be swapping the 3.4L into my 986 Boxster and would like to use these mounts for the transmission.

Thanks

Actually Loren, it is 964 C2 mounts that are needed at the trans end on an engine swap as these mounts are taller and drop the trans end to match the drop at the front of the motor. You do not want 993 mounts as these are the same part as the 986/996 mounts.

-Todd

I little expensive at over $1000 though.

I am going to make a one piece spacer for the front, but I am still asking if those mounts that I pointed out are what I will swap into my Boxster transmission mount brackets.

FWIW, here is a picture of the install kit FVD sells to mount Carrera engines in Boxsters:

EngConvKit.jpg

Yes, I saw that, but if you take the picture and blow it up, you can see the part number 964-375-049-00. (Somewhat irritatingly, there is also a 964-375-049-01 number for the C4 and 965-375-049-00 number for the C4 Targa/Cabrio and Turbo on the part!).

EngConvKitmount.jpg

What's more interesting is that they put an "R" label on the -049 part that matches the "/L" part number in your PET drawing. I'd be interested to know how much a place like Sunset Porsche will charge for these mounts. Also, besides the front mount spacers and bolts, the FVD kit seems to have some concave spacers (maybe to go over the square "carriage bolt"-type area on the studs of the mounts?

Edited by Lightning MO