Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Decisions....please help?

Looking to pick up a 987S this weekend, here are the choices (both MT);

Pros being the options I prefer and cons being what I would have to do to get the car the way that I want.

1) 06 White/ Black/ 42M Miles

Pros: I like color, Sport Chrono, Sport Seats and Steering Wheel.

Cons: Blemishes on the paint, big scratch on quarter panel, though hard to see being white. No Xenons, not certified Warranty, only remaining 8M miles and 1 year. Missing tool kit and instruction manual.

Price: ~32K

2) 05 Silver/ terracota/ 26M

Pros: Porsche Certified Warranty until 2011/ 100M, full leather, sport seat, Xenons, 19"s carrera s wheel

Cons: prefer color config of #1, but can also like this color. does not have as many "sporty features" as #1

Price: ~37K

Do you think the ~5K is the options in #2... xenons, 19's and porsche extended warranty is what I would add to #1

comments? ;)

I'd take #2. #1 has lots of miles for a 2 year old Boxster which is not nesessarily a bad thing but that combined with the scratch and missing parts makes me feel that something is a bit hinky with the white car. If the white car had Sport Chrono and PASM then it would make a difference to me but with only Sport Chrono and no PCM it really is not that big of a deal. I never use my stop watch but i don't track my car.

Good luck and post what you finally decided to do.

Regards,

Alan

I would pass on both!

#1 has too many miles and sounds kinda beat. White is a great color to care for. Sport Chrono is much more than just a stop watch. Greatly improves driver's inputs. Good option.

#2 is a 2005. IMHO- I would never buy the first model year of a car. Great color combo, though.

Take your time. There are 100's of Boxster for sale. Markey is very soft. The driving season for top-down is nearing an end. Prices will fall more. Be willing to look out-of-state too.

Number 2, without a doubt...

Color is great, low mileage and guaranteed until 2011...If something is to go wrong it WILL go wrong by then!

Mileage on #1 is way too high for such a young car...

:rolleyes: If you don't want number 2 send it my way :rolleyes:

All the best,

Gus

Have you considered buying used from a dealer? I would because they have now added a 2 year extension on CPO cars which begins after the 'new car' warranty expires. I think both of the cars you listed were too expensive, and I think that a warranty is must.

I know this car is sold, but it is a 2006, nicely loaded and has less then 6000 miles, warranty would likely run to sometime in ~ 2012...only $2900 more then the 2005 you listed.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...A:IT&ih=013

Edited by Westcoaster

Right now on the Porsche web site, there are 53 987S's for sale 2005-2006. Many with CPO.

Take your time. The search is a very-very fun part of the process!

I agree..there are plenty of 987s nowadays, for some reason though the manual cars are mostly base model, I am looking for an S model. I had a 986 base (220hp) and can use the additional horses the second time around. :P

I will definitely update you guys with decision and pic as soon as I have the car...

Right now on the Porsche web site, there are 53 987S's for sale 2005-2006. Many with CPO.

Take your time. The search is a very-very fun part of the process!

I agree..there are plenty of 987s nowadays, for some reason though the manual cars are mostly base model, I am looking for an S model. I had a 986 base (220hp) and can use the additional horses the second time around. :P

I will definitely update you guys with decision and pic as soon as I have the car...

I am also thinking about having the white one (#1) CPO'd...anybody know how much this will cost?

I am also thinking about having the white one (#1) CPO'd...anybody know how much this will cost?

CPO = certified porsche something?

The dealer won't do it, or if they do it'll mark it up a lot. They have to fix the paint and any dings to certify it (at least according to my dealer). I was looking at a similar cayman S with a few dings that the dealer wouldn't certify.

I'll note that I did see a difference between the S and the base, but it's really not that much. Base acceleration is a little slower if you're dragging, but I was able to keep up with an M5 up to 70mph (at which point I had to turn... besides, that was fast enough on city streets). I saw a bigger difference in the structural "feel" of the cayman than the acceleration. Base will go fast enough to get you thrown in jail, and still have a ton of pedal left.

If you can find a base with a 6-speed and good options, you could save yourself a lot of money over the S. Get a PMI and check overrevs, though. Low level ones are no issue, but anything in the higher ranges could be bad.

The biggest thing I miss is the bose system. The base stereo in the 987 is "good", but not good enough for my tastes. The bose system is way better, judging from all the time I spent driving a 986 a couple years ago.

That is all my opinion, of course.... I'd love to have the S model, but I also love the extra $5-10k I have by not taking it.

Edited by stef