Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

GT3 PCCB rear rotors

ABelzile

I am wondering if other owners had a similar problem with their ceramic brakes on a GT3. I ordered my car with the PCCB because the dealer was saying that the new generation of this system was so good that the rotors would last for more than 30,000km even with a lot of track. Here I am after 5,500km (3,000km on track), the rear rotors are toasted !

I am hearing that the TC (traction control) is eating pads (used 2 sets at this point) and disks and that I should get used to drive with TC OFF. Even though this is true, I can't understand how come these rotors are done after so small mileage ???

With the replacement cost of the ceramic rotors, I think I will change the whole system back to steel. Any suggestion for a good alternative either Porsche or after market ?

The problem apparently is that the Ceramic brakes are 15" in front (similar to the GT3 Cup) and are flotting rotors. If I change it to steel, I need motorsport rotors or another aftermarket brand (performance friction, Brembo, etc.). I will try to have the dealer change them under warranty and keep them for the resale of the car while I switch to steel in the meantime. These PCCB should not be sold to driver that intend to use it on race tracks !

Edited by ABelzile

You're right.

When I bought the car, the dealer was arguing that PCCB were tested on the Alabama race track and were supposed to last for 60,000km ! Under street usage, they were suppose to last for the life of the car... If you talk to any real racer drivers, they will tell you that these PCCB overheat under track conditions and will burn very quickly.

You're right.

When I bought the car, the dealer was arguing that PCCB were tested on the Alabama race track and were supposed to last for 60,000km ! Under street usage, they were suppose to last for the life of the car... If you talk to any real racer drivers, they will tell you that these PCCB overheat under track conditions and will burn very quickly.

Seems like PCNA wants to extol the "virtues" of PCCB, while not supporting their claims.

PLease keep us posted on the outcome of your warranty claim.

Good luck to you I hope it gets solved in your favor!

The dealer looked at the rotors and they say they are still good even if we can see the wear indicators (3 dots on the surface)... They are 28.5mm thick and the low limit is 27.7mm. My understanding is that thay come at 30mm new, so it still means that they are 2/3 used after 5,500km. By the end of the summer they will be done for sure and I will ship it to them in a box. I hope they will recognize that this is not normal...

Sorry to hear about the wear. I go thru alot

of brakes and I am sure glad I did not go ceramic.

Hope you find the right solution. A friend of mine bought the Brembo

bakes. They barley fit in a 19" wheel. He went off in the kitty litter

and some rocks got between the brakes and the wheels. It

really scratched up the inside of his wheels. I do not

think he had to replace his wheels but it was close.

Paul

I hope to find instead a solution which would allow to replace only the rotors (for iron disks) and the pads. Apparently CDOC have a kit that works. Still waiting for a final answer. Since I also use 18" race wheels (FIKSE) with slicks, I would prefer to keep the same calipers.

The rear ceramic disks are 27.9mm at the moment... and I also now drive the car with TC OFF whenever I'm on a track and I didn't notice ANY difference. It looks like the TC system is too sensitive and intervene often without any apparent sign for the driver.

Edited by ABelzile

UPDATE

I got a call from the dealer and apparently the rotors are originally 28mm thick so no real wear at this point... If this is true, it means that I don't need to change them and this was a false alarm from my mecanic technician. I hope this is true. I plan now to keep these rotors and measure them periodically to ensure that the thickness doesn't change materially.

I'm still wondering why the 3 dots (wear indicators) appearing on the surface of the disks are visible ??? Anyone with these dots visible on their disks ?

These are great brakes on a track. The issue is not the power of the brakes but the durability when used on a track.

I still can't find the actual thickness of the disks when they are new... I can't believe that they are in normal condition since we can see the wear indicators (3 dots) and I start to feel vibrations in the back when I'm breaking hard.

Hi Guys,

I am not new here, but then this is my first reply, since this topic is one of my interest as well.

I am a assistance mechanic of a Porsche tune shop in HK, and I have seen many many PCCBs going through track events, all 3 generations!! I've even seen blown PCCB discs too, but my experience tells me that the problem does not come from the Disc itself. It's the pads.

The PCCB disc itself should not change the thickness since this is different compound than disc that it does not wear the thickness, but apprently, when PCCB wears out, its surface slowly peal off. But the killer of the PCCB discs at low milage is the brake pads. The pad itselves are friction metal mounted on the metal plate with some studs sticking out from the plate if you understand me, and these studs sticks out to about half of the friction materials, and that's the problem, since when you worn your pads half, these metal studs are actually scraping directly on the PCCB disc and cause damage. That's why our customers in HK never use the lower half of the brake pads.

And we have found out that the rear pads has more wear in 997 GT3 RSs as well (on track drives), I am not sure why but it seems that it is the majority, so I suggest that if you wish to protect your PCCBs, use check the pads level very very constantly and do not use the second half of the pads!!!

Hope this helps!!

• 2 weeks later...

I just did a quick google search and I found this was definitely a problem with the 996 PCCBs. Supposedly, but clearly untrue by this post, Porsche addressed the issue to where they satisfy the original claims. I'm guessing this is one of the first cars turning out to prove otherwise.

Good luck figuring it out.

Edited by SVTHorsnake