Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What maintenance do I need?

Hi All,

I've owned my 987S for a year now, and since it's due for a state inspection, I wanted to check if I should be looking at getting any maintenance work done at the same time.

The car is a 2006 Boxster S 6-speed, currently with 18300 miles. It was delivered new in January 2006, and I purchased it in September 2008 with 16500 miles as the second owner.

I have the maintenance book, and the last (and only) service was in April 2007 at 12200 miles and is marked as a "minor" service. It's a CPO car but I don't have any record of whatever work was performed during the certification process. I am fairly certain though it was limited to new tires and brakes, etc.

The way I'm reading the maintenance schedule, it looks like I'm only due (overdue, actually) for a brake fluid flush, and that the next service after that would be a "major" due in January 2010. Am I following things correctly? How important is it to do the brake fluid flush now, as opposed to waiting until when the major service is done? I don't see doing more than 2500 miles per year.

Thanks for the help.

Endaar, the maintenance checks are listed on our Home page.

Change the brake fluid every 2 years. The brake fluid is now about 7 months past due.

I also recommend changing the oil every year regardless of the low miles you put on the car. Or every 7-10,000 miles if you drove it more often during that year period.

Second on the change oil once per year regardless of mileage. Low mileage is actually harder on our cars than reasonable mileage. Personally, I would never buy a several year old Porsche with really low miles (like a 2005 with 5K). There are lots of seals that dry out when not regularly exercised.