Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Clutch slipping

Here's the problem. As any gear is engaged and I step on the gas, the revs climb but I only get partial engagement of the clutch. If I am already moving and I apply a little more power, same slipping feeling. And my clutch pedal feels lighter now too. So I think this is a clutch slipping issue. What should I do? Do I replace a clutch pad or the entire clutch itself? Should I attempt this on my own and save a few bucks? Or pay an independent? Also, if I have it done, what's the cost? Should I do any other replacement while this is being done? - ie RMS although I don't see any leaking oil.

Here are the other links I have looked at too.

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/996rms/rms2.php

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...clutch+slipping

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...clutch+slipping

Thanks

• Moderators

If the clutch pedal feel light in combination with a slipping clutch, than you can count that the diaphragm spring in the pressure group is cracked. Replace the entire clutch ( disc, pressure group, release bearing ) check the flywheel as well. I should update the RMS/IMS till the newest norm also. No idea about prices and your possibilities to do it yourself.

If you have a lift in your garage, then you probably have the expertise and can probably do this on your own. Otherwise, I'd recommend having a pro do it. I don't mean the guys down at the Midas shop. You need to get a real Porsche mechanic to do it. This doesn't always mean a dealer. You can find great P-car mechanics all over the place who aren't at the dealer.

-Michael

• Moderators

The clutch kit incuded the disc, pressure plate, and release bearing. While you can buy the individual parts, you should replace all 3. The disc is held together with rivets. When the disc friction material wears down it exposes the rivets. These rivets can score the flywheel and/or pressure plate. Don't care about the pressure plate because the kit includes a new one. If the flywneel is scored then list price for a new one is about $900. No dealer I know of will attempt to resurface it.

If you were in my area I would suggest the Renn Shop. http://www.therennshop.com/home3 The owner, Marvin, worked at 2 local dealerships and then opened his own shop.

I had the clutch on my 1997 Boxster replaced by Marvin. Dealer wanted $1,850. A independent $1,450. Marvin did it for $825. On your 1999 996 it is $895.

The rivets on my disc had scored the pressure plate, but this did not matter because the kit includes a new pressure plate. Fortunately the rivets had not scored the flywheel. Marvin will send a flywheel out to be resurfaced, but the recommends a new one. I was able to reuse mine.

In 9 years of ownership I never had a drop of oil on the ground from the rear of the engine. But once the car was on the lift and again when the transmission and flywheel were out, I could see seepage from the seal and/or intermediate shaft flange. I had Marvin reseal the back of the engine since the transmission and flywheel were out. That cost extra.

• 2 weeks later...