Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cleaning/Washing a Boxster engine

Hi all,

I just opened up the engine area on my Boxster and it is in a need of a cleaning or dusting. My question is, can you carefully wash the Boxster engine on low pressure with regular car wash soap? And is it normal for the engine area to look so "dusty"? It is a '98 that has 95k miles and has been check thoroughly for any RMS issues -- and luckily, it is one of the ones that escaped the issue but the engine looks dusty/dirty as hell.

Thanks in advance

Hi all,

I just opened up the engine area on my Boxster and it is in a need of a cleaning or dusting. My question is, can you carefully wash the Boxster engine on low pressure with regular car wash soap? And is it normal for the engine area to look so "dusty"? It is a '98 that has 95k miles and has been check thoroughly for any RMS issues -- and luckily, it is one of the ones that escaped the issue but the engine looks dusty/dirty as hell.

Thanks in advance

I also have a 98 Boxster and was concerned about using water to clean the engine. It does not appear to be a good idea in general

because of the obvious. We have found the common cleaner called Simple Green will do an excellent job of cleaning your engine.

Simply spray it on directly out of the bottle, let it loosen the dirt for a few minutes then wipe it off with clean soft cotton cloths.

You will be surprised at what a good job it does. The engine house on my car looks just like new and I have 95k miles on the car.

One thing I forgot is to suggest blowing the engine down with compressed air if the engine has really picked up a lot of dirt. After the first cleaning you will probably not have to blow it down again as long as you clean it regularly with Simple Green.

Good luck

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

Hey there and welcome, Careful cleaning with regular soap is fine, as usual with any engine electrical components should be protected from water, no hi-pressure sprays and nothing caustic.

For the most part a dusting is really all that is needed, search on concours prep and you will find the information and recommendations you need.

DO NOT get any cleaner or water near any of the electical connectors on or near the engine. If they get wet, they

could slugde up the connectors and give you wicked nightmares.

I would just brush the engine a do a little spot cleaning with Windex. Besides, nobody sees that little workhorse anyway so

pretty isn't required.

Here is the concours prep document I spoke of, pages 27,28 talk about the engine but the entire document is an excellant read!

http://zone8.pca.org/Articles/concours101.pdf

BTW, I have cleaned the engine on my car a couple of times, usually I vacuum first then either a light list mist of water or a damp cloth to allow me to clean all visible surfaces (at 22,000 km it wasn't too dirty), then the appropriate surface treatment for the various parts of the engine and bay.

Edited by Westcoaster

Here is the concours prep document I spoke of, pages 27,28 talk about the engine but the entire document is an excellant read!

http://zone8.pca.org/Articles/concours101.pdf

I just joined PCA and was thinking about waxing and vacuuming my car and going to the Concours next weekend... but q-tips in the locks? WOW, that's not for me! I might show up and spectate, though. Edited by grover