Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Evo supercharger for 996

Wow, good news about it.

But I'm worried about passing emmissions testing with it.

Looks like a smart upgrade--makes the 996 almost as fast as the TT, GT2, and GT3.

According to that board "Hang with the TT." Sweet!

Links on feedback:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthr...vo&pagenumber=2

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthr...0&highlight=evo

So with this mod, people are also pushing the light flywheel. Any idea how much that is?I'm married now, so gotta explain purchases to the Mrs.:)

Has anyone done this in Atlanta? All of the shops are in Az, PA, NY, and CA.

I've thought about this, too. But I'm concerned about the transmission over time with track events. Someone pointed out that Porsche did upgrade the tranny from the 3.4 to the 3.6 presumably because the old tranny wasn't robust enough for the 3.6. And of course the Turbo and GT3 have a much more serious transmission than we have.

No track time for me, although Road Atlanta was fun when I first bought the Pcar (Porsche experience was free then to new owners).

The thought of quietly hanging or taking some of the TTs, Vipers, and Ferraris around town is very appealing.

Many of the folks reporting on the upgrade were '00-'01 996 owners, so our 3.4 should take it....BUT this mod just came out, so I'll wait for more reports over 6 months (or a reported blow up). :unsure:

At the 6speedonline.com forum, only 2 guys reported the mod.

I'm always a little wary regarding these reports on forums because they could be plants. I'm new to that site, so I don't a level of trust to go based on just their May '04 new installation assessments. From what I've read today, both guys are still in the break-in period.

Edited by gry

Here's why I'm wary of this mod:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=&...=5&o=93&fpart=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2481662678

I don't know Ben, but he's the same guy that got the mod installed on 6speedonline, posted positive feedback about it, last posted there that he was in the break-in period, then posted favorably again at rennteam.com, and now has it on eBay?

VERY SUSPICIOUS!

Ben's comment on rennteam:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=&...=5&o=93&fpart=1

His other comments on the mod are already provided above in my other posts.

Edited by gry

Well, I know a guy locally who has this and is very happy and it definitely not a plant.

But he doesn't track the car or even do autox. I guess he does a little street drag once in a while.

So it may work out fine for him, but I think I'll probably just save up for a GT3 or Turbo if/when my skills are up to that level (which they definitely aren't yet).

I wouldn't be too concerned about Ben being a plant. He is a true car enthusiast. Apart from that what would he have to gain from providing false information. I am sure if you approached him he will give you all the info you require all the good and bad things about the SC kit. Also why hold onto the SC when you are receiving delivery of a CGT?

Thanks.

It just seemed odd. I'm a member of other forums where vendors seem to be dishonest.

I wonder why he dropped the $11k he mentioned, only to buy a CGT, and dump the upgraded, unbroken in car?

If any one can passes emissions, let us know the upgrade and state emissions passed in.

Thanks.

That guy selling his car on ebay is Ben from Rennlist.com. He is selling the car to make room for a new CGT. There is nothing suspicious about it. He's upgrading to the ultimate P-car.

I am very interested in getting the supercharger for my 996 and have been in back and forth dialogue with the EVO guys regarding this. They just installed one on a guy's car on my island where I live. I have received his phone # and will be contacting him to check it out (and hopefully go for a ride!) in it when I return. I'm currently off island (on Oahu) for school for the next 3 weeks.

My personal opinion is that if you want more power and can offord it, go for it. The EVO guys have it nailed down after having installed dozens of SC's all over. They have done a total of 8 (as of May '04) Tiptronics - since mine was a tip, that was one of my main questions.