Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Key Remote not working?

Hi all,

I dropped my key last night, & find that the remote does not work now,

well just the light it flash's red when pressed?

I've tried everything from taking out the battery & reversing it around for 10 seconds,

to inserting the key into the ignition and pressing the remote button,

(as Porsche center said to do) and noting?

Any other solutions anybody, I find it hard to believe, that dropping a car key

worth over €200 on the ground breaks it, and I don't really want to buy a new key,

only got this key back in january 08.

Thanks in advance guy's.

Hi all,

I dropped my key last night, & find that the remote does not work now,

well just the light it flash's red when pressed?

I've tried everything from taking out the battery & reversing it around for 10 seconds,

to inserting the key into the ignition and pressing the remote button,

(as Porsche center said to do) and noting?

Any other solutions anybody, I find it hard to believe, that dropping a car key

worth over €200 on the ground breaks it, and I don't really want to buy a new key,

only got this key back in january 08.

Thanks in advance guy's.

James,

Only possible cause I can think of may be a cracked solder joint on the small PC card in the key remote. You could carefully look for the bad joint visually or possibly by pressing the circuit card while trying to unlock the car. If it works then you know it is a solder connection and if you can use a solder iron, not a big deal to resolder before you order a new remote.

Good Luck!! demosan :cheers:

Hey James,

I had the exact same problem a few months earlier.

1. Make sure you buy a new battery. Just because it has enough juice to light up the remote doesn't mean it can power the rest of the remote.

2. Re-seat the battery and make sure it snaps in the the battery holder.

That's the first thing the dealer should do to the keys. Mine saved me $250, and gave me the battery for free.

This might be a long shot but you never know. Inside the key, there is a little "capsule" (looks exactly like a mini Tylenol capsule but black). It is required for the key to open the car even if it is actually transmitting a signal and has battery. So I suggest to see if that is still in place or damaged. Good luck.

Your local TV/Radio repair shop can test the remote to see if it's transmitting any RF and at what frequency. Also find a garage that use a OTC/Mac Tools TPMS tester as it can also test key fobs.

I've repaired loads of poor solder connection on these remotes. Any chance that the remote is ok and maybe the alarm unit is the problem.... have you checked the fuse on the unit under the left seat? Does the red LED flash if you lock the vehicle with the key?

Your local TV/Radio repair shop can test the remote to see if it's transmitting any RF and at what frequency. Also find a garage that use a OTC/Mac Tools TPMS tester as it can also test key fobs.

I've repaired loads of poor solder connection on these remotes. Any chance that the remote is ok and maybe the alarm unit is the problem.... have you checked the fuse on the unit under the left seat? Does the red LED flash if you lock the vehicle with the key?

Thanks RFM I always wondered what that black capsule in the remote was used for?

But it's not that easy to push myself to buy a new remote for this car as I now know after having owning 2 Porsche cars (Boxster now 996)

in just 12 months that these car are ****, noting but problems with Boxster & the same with 996. The car cost €70000 then it need a new engine (cost €12000) new lower front suspen. arms €500 & now last week new light bulb (€200) and now a new key €200.

Sorry guy's these things DON'T just happen. What about the cheaper car's that cost half the price and just go on & on & on with no problems.

I now think that Porsche's are not the best sports car out there. I would much rather a Sl55 amg or a M5 which I think is what I will have to do in the new year.

These cars don't have quality issue's, like Porsche and are just as good, if not better to drive.

Sorry but I had to say this. there I now fell better.

p.s. wvicary I have not checked the fuse on the unit under the left seat but will have a look.

Thanks guys.

• 1 month later...

I've just had a similar problem. One remote key fob stopped working, then the spare stopped opening the doors but it would still open the luggage compartment (Carrera 2 MY 2000). This WAS confusing! I changed the batteries - nothing. The little red light flashes with the old and the new batteries but the doors and alarm do not unlock/disarm. Took the key fob apart and looked at the contact touching the edge of the battery. I found that by bending this contact a little so that it touched the battery a little better cured the fault. It took several attempts but it finally got BOTH key fobs working.

If this contact was only just making contact before then dropping it could have moved this contact ever so slightly and produce the effect you have described. I've dropped my key fobs many, many times and they still work. This may or may not work for you and I have to point out that I am not a trained Porsche technician and you make any attempt at your own risk.

Let me know how you get on.

W