Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

buying 1973-74 911

alejojllo

Hi guys I’m currently planning on buying a 911 73 or 74 in the us, I would prefer it to be a newer version but I live in Colombia and to import it as a classic it has to at least 34-35 years old. I was currently looking at a targa sc 1982 here in Colombia and I got very close to buying it but it had some king of legal problem which I am thankful of finding out soon enough before getting in trouble. The objective of this car is to have a restoration project, to learn a lot and to have great car . I would like to know some more about the 911 around these years and I have to confess I loved the SC and my heart is broken. I was wondering if I could get a 73-74 model and install a 3.0 or 3.2 engines and a g50 gearbox or the car dimensions changed a lot and it won’t match. These are all thoughts I’m opened and I will thank any suggestions.

Hi guys I’m currently planning on buying a 911 73 or 74 in the us, I would prefer it to be a newer version but I live in Colombia and to import it as a classic it has to at least 34-35 years old. I was currently looking at a targa sc 1982 here in Colombia and I got very close to buying it but it had some king of legal problem which I am thankful of finding out soon enough before getting in trouble. The objective of this car is to have a restoration project, to learn a lot and to have great car . I would like to know some more about the 911 around these years and I have to confess I loved the SC and my heart is broken. I was wondering if I could get a 73-74 model and install a 3.0 or 3.2 engines and a g50 gearbox or the car dimensions changed a lot and it won’t match. These are all thoughts I’m opened and I will thank any suggestions.

Hi

A 73 911 would be my recommendation. It was the pre-emission version. In 1974 , Porsche had to use the dreaded "thermal reactors" on the exhaust to meet emissions. This resulted in overheating and ultimately pulled head studs. The 73 doesn't have that problem. I suggest you look for an early 911 that someone else has already changed out the engine to a 3.2L. The 915 transmission used in the 72 and later cars is ok - it will handle the extra power but the shifting isn't as crisp as a G50( I don't know if a G50 will even fit in an early 911).

Hope this helps.

Ed in Austin, TX.

Hi

A 73 911 would be my recommendation. It was the pre-emission version. In 1974 , Porsche had to use the dreaded "thermal reactors" on the exhaust to meet emissions. This resulted in overheating and ultimately pulled head studs. The 73 doesn't have that problem. I suggest you look for an early 911 that someone else has already changed out the engine to a 3.2L. The 915 transmission used in the 72 and later cars is ok - it will handle the extra power but the shifting isn't as crisp as a G50( I don't know if a G50 will even fit in an early 911).

Hope this helps.

Ed in Austin, TX.

Thx Ed it really helps and the pre-emission info is really usefull. some people even say that the driving of a pre-emission porsche and a post emission one is completly different and that the cars loose alot of its soul with the emission rules.

Hi

Hope this helps.

Ed in Austin, TX.

Thx Ed it really helps and the pre-emission info is really usefull. some people even say that the driving of a pre-emission porsche and a post emission one is completly different and that the cars loose alot of its soul with the emission rules.

you might want to check out a late 60's 911S for a truly soul car. good luck....

• 1 year later...

“I was wondering if I could get a 73-74 model and install a 3.0 or 3.2 engines and a g50 gearbox or the car dimensions changed a lot and it won’t match. These are all thoughts I’m opened and I will thank any suggestions.”

Based upon your stated goal please buy anything other than a 73 or earlier and convert it. The number of 73’s and earlier are finite and small with some years under 10,000 cars. I hope I am not alone in this position. As these cars have increased into the stratosphere with restored 73 S’s going for 65k and up please choose a 76 and later.

At least those cars are galvanized and can endure humid climates to some degree without rusting. They have known (74-77) problems with pulling head studs and probably would be ideal for your admirable project.

Just be kind to those of us that dream of owning and early 911.

Hi

Hope this helps.

Ed in Austin, TX.

you might want to check out a late 60's 911S for a truly soul car. good luck....

• 5 weeks later...