Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Shifter concerns

I have a 2000 Boxster with 35k miles. I have noticed the last couple of days that it has become difficult to shift into 1st and 2nd gear. I have to wiggle the shifter in neutral and try again. Also when the clutch engages the shifter moves a little. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Or know the cause?

I notice the same thing too on my car (2001 base, no alterations). For me, it gets a little difficult to get into 1st gear only at a very specific situation. I have to wiggle into neutral and then things go smoothly into 1st gear. This occurs only in the scenario where I move shifter into first gear to move the car from stand still (no difficulty getting into 1st at this point), step on clutch and move shifter to neutral to coast to a stop, and try to get shifter into 1st gear again while clutch is still depressed (this is when shifter would have difficulty moving into 1st).

Also, when my wife drives the car and goes into 1st or 2nd, I can see the stick handle moves a little bit when she releases the clutch pedal.

Edited by mcluucy

• 2 weeks later...

On the bent shifter arms, should these be at right angles to the body. The one that turns the shaft (not the one that pushed and pulls it), right a tthe cable exit seems to be bent towards the rear.

Another way of asking - which bits normally bend? and what is their "normal" position?

Thanks. Still struggling with a sluggish shifter (see my other posts).

MArk.

• 4 months later...

I purchased the white cable alignment tool to check my shifter cable alignment and obviously i don't have a stock shifter because the tool doesn't fit. Does anyone know what kind of this shifter this is and which tool i need (blue, green, etc..) to buy (and where to buy from?) to check my cable alignment? Thanks.

Picture145.jpg

Picture146.jpg

Picture147.jpg

Picture148.jpg

• Admin
I purchased the white cable alignment tool to check my shifter cable alignment and obviously i don't have a stock shifter because the tool doesn't fit. Does anyone know what kind of this shifter this is and which tool i need (blue, green, etc..) to buy (and where to buy from?) to check my cable alignment? Thanks.

Picture145.jpg

Picture146.jpg

Picture147.jpg

Picture148.jpg

What is it doing that makes you think it is out of alignment?

Its a little tough shifting into first and second gear. Most of the time I have to do the neutral wiggle dance before getting it into gear. (My original post is at the very top). I was taking your advise (Loren) on checking the cable alignment. I have had the car for about 6 months - I wasn't aware I didn't have a stock shifter. When I had taken the center console out I did check to see if the cables were marked but they weren't. I thought I read elsewhere on the forum that a blue or green tool was available to check alignment on these shifters. Is this true and if so where can I get one? Thanks.

xe0g9h.jpg

We had similar issues with an 01(base), and I replaced the motor and trans mounts(old trans mounts in pic) which solved the issue. Due to years and mileage I decided to change the gearbox oil which also improved it a notch. The car shifts better now, then when it was new. Porsche gear oil used- part# 999-917-546-00

Regards

You can buy the short shifter aliment tool from any Porsche dealer for a few dollars. As I recall it is teal/green in color.

Just tell them it is for a Porsche Short Shifter.

I live in the middle of west Texas and there isn't any nearby Porache dealers. Does anyone know where I can buy one online? Been googling but can't find one...

• Admin
You can buy the short shifter aliment tool from any Porsche dealer for a few dollars. As I recall it is teal/green in color.

Just tell them it is for a Porsche Short Shifter.

I live in the middle of west Texas and there isn't any nearby Porache dealers. Does anyone know where I can buy one online? Been googling but can't find one...

Cal or email Sunset Imports (Porsche Parts at Dealer Cost) - I am sure they will have it for you - at a discount.