Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Retrofit Halogen lights to Xenon

I have a US model 2007 997 Targa4 that I bought used with only 4,000 miles on it. I was really surprised to learn that it has Halogen lights!!

I can buy a set of 2006 Porsche Turbo xenons with the ballasts and bulbs for a good price. But before I buy them I tried to get a straight answer from my local Porsche dealer as to whether I can retrofit these xenons to my Targa in a reasonable simply changeover. My dealer is not certain as there is no bulletin for this retrofit modification. Would an of you know if this project can be accomplished without major expense, or would anyone have a DIY instructions for this job?

Final point - why does Porsche sell old technology halogens when xenons are safer and better new technology???

And expense/complication. I personally prefer normal halogens, because when something does go wrong, the ballast and associated components are yet more expensive components to fail.

Adding to that, I used to think Xenons were cool until I had a few of them behind me. The self-levelling system (required by law on Xenon headlamps outside Nth America and Japan, in addition to headlamp washers) is too slow to react. I always need to flick my rear-view mirror to antiglare mode.

They're probably fine on level, smooth, multi-lane highways, but on busy suburban hilly two-way roads, they're a nuisance to other drivers.

Final point - why does Porsche sell old technology halogens when xenons are safer and better new technology???

They DO sell the Xenons - they are standard on all the 'S' models, and optional on all the non-S variants such as yours. Whoever bought the car new didn't opt for Xenon headlamps.

The bi xenon lamps are not a direct fit replacement for standard Halogen items. The reason for this is that the two headlamps have different connections (pin assignments) on the rear of the headlamp for low beam (everything else is the same). The self levelling system requires quite a lot of additional hardware to operate correctly, (different front linkages to accept the level sensors) plus i suspect the wires are not present in the loom. Rather than try for a complete retrofit , which is the only way to avoid error messages in the ECU from missing parts (headlamp wash system, levelling sensors etc) , I'd suggest that retro fitting a xenon bulb upgrade kit would be simpler. If you must have the bi xenon system (this is basically one xenon lamp that works on dipped and high beam by using a shutter over the light) then you would need to open up the headlamp and reposition the dipped beam pin from position A11 to A2. The feed for the dipped beam in conjunction with the hi beam is what activates the internal shutter for the bi xenon system. Even after this mod , there is no guarantee that the self check system for the headlight wouldn't throw up a fault. Under normal cicumstances the bi xenon light system is connected to a different pin back at the front Control unit than the halogen lamp. This takes care of the differences in resitance and load. The only way to get the correct pin to operate the light back at the control unit , is to code the car using the PWIS unit as a xenon equipped vehicle. The car will then loook for ALL the additional hardware associated with this option. Porsche don't usually like to install wiring unless its a complete loom, i'd suspect a 4 figure sum to do this. The issue of dazzling oncoming traffic is usually where the wrong type of xenon lamp has been fitted. Projector versus lensed headlights use either a D2S or D2R type bulb. The differences between the two bulbs is that one has a shield/ cover over the end of the bulb to prevent light emitting from the tip.

The bi xenon lamps are not a direct fit replacement for standard Halogen items. The reason for this is that the two headlamps have different connections (pin assignments) on the rear of the headlamp for low beam (everything else is the same). The self levelling system requires quite a lot of additional hardware to operate correctly, (different front linkages to accept the level sensors) plus i suspect the wires are not present in the loom. Rather than try for a complete retrofit , which is the only way to avoid error messages in the ECU from missing parts (headlamp wash system, levelling sensors etc) , I'd suggest that retro fitting a xenon bulb upgrade kit would be simpler. If you must have the bi xenon system (this is basically one xenon lamp that works on dipped and high beam by using a shutter over the light) then you would need to open up the headlamp and reposition the dipped beam pin from position A11 to A2. The feed for the dipped beam in conjunction with the hi beam is what activates the internal shutter for the bi xenon system. Even after this mod , there is no guarantee that the self check system for the headlight wouldn't throw up a fault. Under normal cicumstances the bi xenon light system is connected to a different pin back at the front Control unit than the halogen lamp. This takes care of the differences in resitance and load. The only way to get the correct pin to operate the light back at the control unit , is to code the car using the PWIS unit as a xenon equipped vehicle. The car will then loook for ALL the additional hardware associated with this option. Porsche don't usually like to install wiring unless its a complete loom, i'd suspect a 4 figure sum to do this. The issue of dazzling oncoming traffic is usually where the wrong type of xenon lamp has been fitted. Projector versus lensed headlights use either a D2S or D2R type bulb. The differences between the two bulbs is that one has a shield/ cover over the end of the bulb to prevent light emitting from the tip.

Thanks for your advice

John

Hey John, sorry I didn't get to talk to you Saturday about the aftermarket conversion that I did on my 2006 987. I was a great day for a drive!

My car came with halogen bulbs as well but I installed an aftermarket kit to get to HID lights on the low beam. They work well but they have to wired in to bypass the regular lighting circuit to avoid the unusual square wave superimposed on the 12V being supplied to the regular halogen lights. Because you have to bypass the regular circuit the OBC complains that the bulbs are burnt out and posts warning messages each time the car is started for both right and left sides (not very eloquent). In my case I could have opted for the factory retrofit but at over $2000 installed I took the DIY method and live with the messages.

Here is a link to the thread that I posted regarding my experiences with the aftermarket HID conversion:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...c=11244&hl=

If you want to see what I did or discuss further PM or email me and we can talk or get together so you can see what I did.

Al

Edited by Westcoaster

Hey John, sorry I didn't get to talk to you Saturday about the aftermarket conversion that I did on my 2006 987. I was a great day for a drive!

My car came with halogen bulbs as well but I installed an aftermarket kit to get to HID lights on the low beam. They work well but they have to wired in to bypass the regular lighting circuit to avoid the unusual square wave superimposed on the 12V being supplied to the regular halogen lights. Because you have to bypass the regular circuit the OBC complains that the bulbs are burnt out and posts warning messages each time the car is started for both right and left sides (not very eloquent). In my case I could have opted for the factory retrofit but at over $2000 installed I took the DIY method and live with the messages.

Here is a link to the thread that I posted regarding my experiences with the aftermarket HID conversion:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...c=11244&hl=

If you want to see what I did or discuss further PM or email me and we can talk or get together so you can see what I did.

Al

Al

Thanks for th information. I'll go over your changes next time we get together. I'm in no rush to get it wrong.

John

• 2 weeks later...
Here is a link to a video on how to install aftermarket Xenon HID lights with Ballast in your Boxster or 911. Its very easy and takes only 30 minutes per light. Everything plugs in smoothly, no wires to cut.

http://www.youtube.com/autosupermart

This is for a 986/996 not 987/997. The circuits and issues with fault indicators are only apparent on the 987 I beleive.

Here is a link to a video on how to install aftermarket Xenon HID lights with Ballast in your Boxster or 911. Its very easy and takes only 30 minutes per light. Everything plugs in smoothly, no wires to cut.

http://www.youtube.com/autosupermart

This is for a 986/996 not 987/997. The circuits and issues with fault indicators are only apparent on the 987 I beleive.

Absolutely correct, the 987/997 is a different animal!