Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

NOISE from engine, clutch, or transmission

Yasuro-san, (I'm totally guessing on the '-san' part so don't be offended if I'm off)

OK, so this month is not so good. My stupid retirement plan lost about 30k just in the last 30 days. I hate all bankers.

The good news: I have my car back and it runs really new.

The bad news: I paid for it.

Here are the facts:

I picked up my car today.

The bill was $ 1986.79 at $ 119/hour(which was lower than quoted so I think they adjusted the hourly rate)

Labor charge for the engine removal, engine disassembly.

Failure: Intermediate shaft bearing, engine full of metal shavings.

PCNA approved goodwill engine replacement.

Engine reinstalled, cleaned transmission, flushed coolant, recharged AC, replaced drive belt (it was cracked).

The manager was Mark Torongo. I think DFC69 had a bad experience with Mark but I saw the good side. He treated me well on all occasions especially in being on my side to convince PCNA that the car was well maintained and that PCNA should consider goodwill replacement.

The mechanic was Kern Serota who I did speak with today and he does know his stuff. He mentioned that the 05's forward had larger IMS bearings and that my replacement engine had the larger bearing and housing so I should not have a repeat problem. He also mentioned that the engine swap included all hoses, all plugs, the coil(s), starter, pretty much things that were bolted to the block.

I have let events settledown before I send my request to PCNA for repair reimbursement. I just have mixed feelings about having to pay for something that should not have broken down in the first place given the low miles. On the otherside of the equation, I could be out about $20k.

Now off to the wine glass.

Ken

Ken - Glad you got your car back! Bummer on the cost, but it could have been much worse. The biggest downer is that it happened in the first place, like you said, properly maintained with lower miles.

My experience with Mark was beyond bad, but happy that yours went well. We're only a few miles apart, maybe we'll run into one another and I'll tell you the whole saga over a beer, or six...

Enjoy your new car!

:cheers:

Yasuro-san, (I'm totally guessing on the '-san' part so don't be offended if I'm off)

OK, so this month is not so good. My stupid retirement plan lost about 30k just in the last 30 days. I hate all bankers.

The good news: I have my car back and it runs really new.

The bad news: I paid for it.

Here are the facts:

I picked up my car today.

The bill was $ 1986.79 at $ 119/hour(which was lower than quoted so I think they adjusted the hourly rate)

Labor charge for the engine removal, engine disassembly.

Failure: Intermediate shaft bearing, engine full of metal shavings.

PCNA approved goodwill engine replacement.

Engine reinstalled, cleaned transmission, flushed coolant, recharged AC, replaced drive belt (it was cracked).

The manager was Mark Torongo. I think DFC69 had a bad experience with Mark but I saw the good side. He treated me well on all occasions especially in being on my side to convince PCNA that the car was well maintained and that PCNA should consider goodwill replacement.

The mechanic was Kern Serota who I did speak with today and he does know his stuff. He mentioned that the 05's forward had larger IMS bearings and that my replacement engine had the larger bearing and housing so I should not have a repeat problem. He also mentioned that the engine swap included all hoses, all plugs, the coil(s), starter, pretty much things that were bolted to the block.

I have let events settledown before I send my request to PCNA for repair reimbursement. I just have mixed feelings about having to pay for something that should not have broken down in the first place given the low miles. On the otherside of the equation, I could be out about $20k.

Now off to the wine glass.

Ken

sucks about the the retirement account. i feel your pain. looks like my plans for early retirement are down the tubes as well.

from what i've read on other lists, you might be able to get some of the labor costs reimbursed. perhaps 1/2. good luck with that in any case.

for you and DFC69, i highly recommend http://www.gilsonmotorsports.com/ as an indie mechanic. howard has a great shop and if you're a PCA member, i believe the labor rate is $70/hr.

now i'm off to find winter wheels and tires for my 996. i use mine as a daily driver and intend to drive it until it falls completely apart, hopefully in 5-6 years *knock on wood*.

sucks about the the retirement account. i feel your pain. looks like my plans for early retirement are down the tubes as well.

from what i've read on other lists, you might be able to get some of the labor costs reimbursed. perhaps 1/2. good luck with that in any case.

for you and DFC69, i highly recommend http://www.gilsonmotorsports.com/ as an indie mechanic. howard has a great shop and if you're a PCA member, i believe the labor rate is $70/hr.

now i'm off to find winter wheels and tires for my 996. i use mine as a daily driver and intend to drive it until it falls completely apart, hopefully in 5-6 years *knock on wood*.

I have been reading a lot of adds for Gilson Motorsports in the P4, the labor rate is unbelievable, I glad you posted with a recommendation as it's always nice to have options.

There are two mechanics in the area: Gilsons who I think was featured in the Freepress (I think he gives oil change lessons) and the other guy in Novi (I'll get his name from work).

$70/hour is pretty good.

Hey Yasuro, this sound ridiculous but I have one Dunlop Wintersport D2 for the 996 front tire. Someone side swiped my car years ago in the Boxster and his insurance paid for my rim and tire. As it turned out the D2 was discontinued so they gave me 2 D3's. So in my garage is 1 D2 and a funny looking rim (cosmetic damage). Your more than welcome to take a look at it. Give me ridiculous offer and it's yours. It's good if you just want sub-light speed tires to deal with winter. If you want, you can compare the D2 to the D3's as I have them both.

We should all meet at (Richard) **** Odouls one night for some show and tell or horror stories.

ken

Edited by racerken

There are two mechanics in the area: Gilsons who I think was featured in the Freepress (I think he gives oil change lessons) and the other guy in Novi (I'll get his name from work).

$70/hour is pretty good.

Hey Yasuro, this sound ridiculous but I have one Dunlop Wintersport D2 for the 996 front tire. Someone side swiped my car years ago in the Boxster and his insurance paid for my rim and tire. As it turned out the D2 was discontinued so they gave me 2 D3's. So in my garage is 1 D2 and a funny looking rim (cosmetic damage). Your more than welcome to take a look at it. Give me ridiculous offer and it's yours. It's good if you just want sub-light speed tires to deal with winter. If you want, you can compare the D2 to the D3's as I have them both.

We should all meet at (Richard) **** Odouls one night for some show and tell or horror stories.

ken

ken,

thanks for the offer. if i end up with a mixed set of tires i'll keep you in mind.

we should all get together before the weather gets too dicey. i'd say beers and stories would be a good idea. i might even be available this saturday.

ken

ken,

thanks for the offer. if i end up with a mixed set of tires i'll keep you in mind.

we should all get together before the weather gets too dicey. i'd say beers and stories would be a good idea. i might even be available this saturday.

Beers and cars sound good to me, and do I have a great horror story... This Saturday is out for me though (daughter's birthday party), but it would be nice to talk cars with someone that was actually interested. Let me know if/when something gets set up.

how about 8pm on this Friday at Richard O'douls. If you type in D_ck, the website detects a bad word, hence 'Richard'. I'm out of town Tuesday thru Thursday.

Ken

Not sure if I can make it on Friday just yet, but I will let you guys know.

Do you mean D_ck O'Dowds - 160 W. Maple - Birmingham?

-Don

Can't make it tonight, family in town. Let me know if everyone meets up again. Have a great weekend!

Edited by DFC69

• 2 weeks later...
how about 8pm on this Friday at Richard O'douls. If you type in D_ck, the website detects a bad word, hence 'Richard'. I'm out of town Tuesday thru Thursday.

Ken

-Don

Can't make it tonight, family in town. Let me know if everyone meets up again. Have a great weekend!

We have a tentative date/time of 9:30 pm this Friday at Richards. Can you guys make it?

I have to show you guys the new engine!!! It also whines like an F1 car(not really but it's in my mind). Today I drive 3.5 hours down to Wooster, OH, with new tires.

Regards,

Ken

Edited by racerken

Ken

racerken@yahoo.com

-Don

We have a tentative date/time of 9:30 pm this Friday at Richards. Can you guys make it?

I have to show you guys the new engine!!! It also whines like an F1 car(not really but it's in my mind). Today I drive 3.5 hours down to Wooster, OH, with new tires.

Regards,

Ken

i'll be there sometime between 9:30 and 10.

Ken

-Don

Regards,

Ken

i'll be there sometime between 9:30 and 10.

Guys - I will not be able to make it tonight. My company (Chrysler) just announced that they are laying off 25% of the corporation's salaried workforce by the end of this year. I do not know how much longer I will be employed at this time, and need to start planning and making arrangements. Unfortunately, this will most likely include putting my beloved pcar up for sale.

If you know of any companies that need an engineering manager/supervisor - please let me know.

Edited by DFC69

Guys - I will not be able to make it tonight. My company (Chrysler) just announced that they are laying off 25% of the corporation's salaried workforce by the end of this year. I do not know how much longer I will be employed at this time, and need to start planning and making arrangements. Unfortunately, this will most likely include putting my beloved pcar up for sale.

If you know of any companies that need an engineering manager/supervisor - please let me know.

oh geez, that's bad news. i'll certainly keep an eye out for any opportunities. i'll PM you with my email address and you can send over a resume.

oh geez, that's bad news. i'll certainly keep an eye out for any opportunities. i'll PM you with my email address and you can send over a resume.

Sorry hear that, well, we did meet and we did co-miserate on your behalf. A good chunk of my companies revenues come from automotive so we have been hurt tremendously over the last year. Our Aerospace and defense business is growing. I'm actually at a A&D conference now and the word is: Savannah, GA is hot since Gulfstream cannot hire enough, same with Dallas/DFW with Lockheed.

Unfortunately, very few are hiring in the Michigan area. Which area of engineering do come from? pwt, biw, ip, ...

You should definitely come out with us the next time.

Regards,

Ken

Edited by racerken

I'd love to make it next time, let me know when you get together again. A PM works best, since with a 3y/o daughter I do not get much time online anymore...

I am currently a Controls Engineering Supervisor for Chrysler in Advance Manufacturing - Power Train (engine, transmission, and axle advance manufacturing), and my background is Electrical Engineering.

Thanks for the info re Lockheed and Gulfstream - I will check both of them out.

Regards,

Don