Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

De-Snorkling

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, i should add that i had been de-snorked for about a year until the hottest days of summer came around.  i noticed the engine temp creeping up around 195+.  i prompty re-installed the air tube and immediately noticed normal (185-190) temps again.  of course, i'm not talking about too much of a temperature difference, but a difference nevertheless.

Hi,

Sorry to be the one to tell you, but if you are seeing a temperature rise in your gauge, de-snorkeling the intake is NOT the cause. Best to look elsewhere such as debris blocking the radiators etc.

Temperature is very different from Heat Energy (calories or calorific value). The amount of heat energy created by combustion (1000°+) dwarfs any increase of the intake air temperature as read on the gauge. Add to that that the temperature displayed on the gauge is the temp of the coolant which absorbs the heat energy imparted through the Water Jackets. Hotter intake air has a minimal effect on the engine operating temperature. Where it is important is as a factor in detonation and for this to occur, you'd have to have a difference of 150°F over ambient temps and even then, the ECU would intercede and retard the timing.

My Boxster is de-snorkeled. Just yesterday, I took it for a 6 hour drive through the Wisconsin countryside in 95°F ambient temperature. The Coolant Gauge never once rose above 185°F. My MPG was consistent with those prior to de-snokeling, and the power and response of the engine also remained constant.

The snorkel is there to only to help the car stay within the limits of various Noise Abatement Laws prevelant in Europe and other Markets. It's not there to prevent water induction, because it doesn't even have any drain holes to allow any water which enters it to drain off.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

jim 

i think that cup at the end could deflect rain water, but what little rain you would get the filter would grab

Hi,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we're in disagreement at all here. Given the cumulative effect of any rain entering the snorkel, eventually (such as driving in the rain for a couple hours) even a small amount of rain would eventually become a problem. I agree that the filter will stop any Rush of water which might suffocate the motor, but some water does enter and causes no problem (just like water injection does).

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

• 11 months later...

I bought a '98 Boxster 3 weeks ago, and upon finding this forum/thread - I decided to desnorkel my car. The lovely air intake sound actually played an important role in my decision to buy a Boxster, I was in love after a test drive :)

I also removed the foam from the airfilter, to complement the desnorkel mod. I'm very satisfied with the final result, the sound level has increased noticeably - without being obtrusive at low rpms/light trottle.

Edited by hmhaga

If you really want induction howl, install the EVO High Flow kit. At just $395, it's the best money you can spend. Whether or not it increases power; I doubt it. My '02 S just screams when you get on it though.

If you really want induction howl, install the EVO High Flow kit. At just $395, it's the best money you can spend. Whether or not it increases power; I doubt it. My '02 S just screams when you get on it though.

Mine does too... Here is a quick clip. Keep in mind that with the stock intake you couldn't even hear it the video, and de-snorkled you could only hear it very slightly over the wind noise. Just to give you comparison on how much louder the Evo is. I love the sound and feel that it has given a HP increase across the board. I own some fast car and am not just thinking it's faster because it's louder. I felt better throttle response and mid corner if I puch it the back end comes out a lot easier now from increase throttle response.

Edited by 986Jim

yep, snorkle is there for noise. Euro noise restrictions are very tight, and thats all it does. How could the snorkle possible drop intake temps? That is just silly! The air isn't in it long enough for it to cool, for starters.

• 6 months later...

I took a look at my snorkel on my 2001 s and instead of desnorkling it and throwing the intake pipe away, i popped out the "snorkel", sawed the front 2/3's off the tube, replicated the curved surface of the intake trumpet in aluminum, and replaced my snorkel with my new shortsnork. I also took some sandpaper to the innards of the intake box, smoothed out all the surfaces, polished them down more with some very fine paper, vacuumed the mess and grit out and then put the whole thing back together.

I've been racing long enough to recognize that just popping out the tube would likely reduce hp from the air not flowing smoothly.

The new short snork gives much more intake sound. And the cross section of the intake is larger as well.

It was clearly added to the car for noice attenuation purposes.

What I have now sort of resembles the 987 intake pipe. All in all, a simple mod that bumps up intake sound significantly, and maybe adds a hp or two on the top end due to increased airflow.

jh

Okay I am not one to say I know all about the Boxster design, but from looking at some drawing on the "snorkle" how it is mounted to what seems to be a perminent sealed wall to the air box, I can't figure out how the air will be warmer since doing the mod does not open or brake any berrier to allow warm air from the eng. compartment to get sucked up. Now unless my 2000 S is built different than the rest, doing the mod seem to offer positive affect than negative. This link is from another forum the guy had to0 much money to play with so he spent it on something more meaningful. http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9671 Read the initial data. By the way I must have a calibrated foot because after I did the mod on my car the throttle response was quicker than what I remembered when I first test drove my car before buying it.

Ben

I Recently De-snorkled my 01'S after reading a few threads on it, got to say it sounds even better doing over 4k rpm, and still sounds normal under 4k

I dont know where you guys are getting your info from about the water getting in, check out the design and you will see they have a water guttering system in place, also the bottom half of the grill is closed in as to prevent excess water.

But ultimately if you want engine noise, remove the sound deadening from the rear parcle shelf, drove around for a week like that and it feels like your in a RS :D

911-996 wrote:

> But ultimately if you want engine noise, remove the sound deadening from the rear parcle shelf

Where & what is this? Any pointers appreciated.

-- peer

Simply open the top to service position

post-17210-1172620846_thumb.jpg

Remove the parcel shelf

post-17210-1172620943_thumb.jpg

Remove sound deadening from the engine cover

post-17210-1172621033_thumb.jpg

End result

post-17210-1172621179_thumb.jpg

If you like 911 sound authenticity and have a desire to go def then i'd highly recommend it :)

Lasted 2 weeks and I had enough, my wife can here me on the phone now, left it of as I was waiting for a new MAF.

Then again if you want real load leave leave the engine cover off, I reckon you'll last a block the upside you will drive it like a baby :-), and yes theres a million reasons why its not a good idea.

911-996 wrote:

> But ultimately if you want engine noise, remove the sound deadening from the rear parcle shelf

Where & what is this? Any pointers appreciated.

-- peer

Simply open the top to service position

post-17210-1172620846_thumb.jpg

Remove the parcel shelf

post-17210-1172620943_thumb.jpg

Remove sound deadening from the engine cover

post-17210-1172621033_thumb.jpg

End result

post-17210-1172621179_thumb.jpg

If you like 911 sound authenticity and have a desire to go def then i'd highly recommend it :)

Lasted 2 weeks and I had enough, my wife can here me on the phone now, left it of as I was waiting for a new MAF.

Then again if you want real load leave leave the engine cover off, I reckon you'll last a block the upside you will drive it like a baby :-), and yes theres a million reasons why its not a good idea.

Yeh tried that one, head almost exploded at 6k rpm lol

Wouldnt recommend it without the cap, a fair bit of dust is likely to blow through there

But its something to do just for a kick, and to hear how loud Porsches were back in the 60's :D

• Moderators

Awesome induction sound. From my seat-of-the-pants dyno I think the gains are 2.7 in torque and 5.3 in horse power, with an improvement in gas mileage. I am going to take out a patent on it.

Going to have to put the pickup on one of those fancy dyno machines and do some pulls. :o

Back to the topic. Since this old thread started there has been another message by Scott Slauson on the PCA tech site regarding the 987/Cayman. http://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_question.a...C-3A5F748391BF}

post-4-1173039300_thumb.jpg

post-4-1173039359_thumb.jpg

jim 

i think that cup at the end could deflect rain water, but what little rain you would get the filter would grab

Hi,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we're in disagreement at all here. Given the cumulative effect of any rain entering the snorkel, eventually (such as driving in the rain for a couple hours) even a small amount of rain would eventually become a problem. I agree that the filter will stop any Rush of water which might suffocate the motor, but some water does enter and causes no problem (just like water injection does).

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

I agree, and doesnt water break free carbon? I remember in older cars people would dribble small amounts of water droplets into the carburator and i would see carbon deposits fly from the exhaust against the wall behind the exhaust. You could even hear the ticking in the exhuast as larger portions of carbon would break free into the exhuast.

• Moderators

I am old enough to remember this. In fact, I use to do it. Would dribble water down the carb while you revved it up. Was supposed to steam clean the combusion chamber.

Now there are products you can stick into an induction system with the goal to remove carbon deposits. Stuff like seafoam and when I was at my Porsche dealership last year a vendor had yet another product.

But when I did this kind of stuff in the very old days we only had leaded gas which could leave a thick carbon deposit.

With unleaded gas being used for something like 30 years in the US years I would like to know why removing carbon is still an issue unless you have a fuel management issue or burn oil.

Argue it now. Proven 5whp and 3ft/lbs of torque gain.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75281

I posted this on Rennlist as well. Bisi is a well known Tuner/Racer in the import drag racing circut and has a lot of product development and tuning under his belt. His all motor soch Crx goes well into the 9's. If it can go fast, he has done it.

• 2 years later...

Thought I would see what all this snorkel brouhaha is about; I know this thread is old but some of us are slow. I have an 03 Boxster S and like everyone else, want to find good, inexpensive ways to make the car better, all the while respecting the engineering giants that put this sweet little machine together.

I read all the posts on this forum and others, trying to figure out if any of it made sense. "It's there to modulate air intake temps, don't mess with it" and It's to keep out rain" and It's to reduce noise", "It prevents turbulence and increases air flow", etc, etc. Then it's time to see for myself; I figure the worst that can happen is I break a few silly clips, and the upside is I learn something new about my car. In the end, that's what all this is about, isn't it?

First, I took ToolPants advice and ripped out the foam on the stock air filter. Took 'er for a spin. Nothin'. Nada. Absolutely no change in anything. Maybe I should get my hearing checked? I didn't stand on the throttle, but I did get it up to 7k rpm.

Wheeled back into the garage and proceeded to remove the intake cover, removed the small plastic screen, popped out the snork, and wiped everything down with a damp towel to clean out the dust. Let me tell you, those Germans must assign either the rookie engineers to design those clips, or else the oldest, crotchety-est engineer b**t**d on the staff, one of the two. Whoever did it doesn't like guys to work on their own cars, for sure. But I got everything out without breaking a clip, it's a darn good thing that front one is really flexible!

Time for another spin. Took it up gradually to 7k rpm in first and second, then I'm already over the speed limit. I really didn't notice much, even at high rpms. Turn around, flip on the Valentine, and basically let it rip like I'm at the track, up into 4th. Ok, now I can hear something, it is noticeable. Is there extra power there? I can't tell, my seat of the pants dyno is not that sensitive. Kinda doubt it, tho.

What do I think the snork is for? The temp, turbulence, and sound arguments make sense to me. The snork provides a straight, direct path to the intake, and the air flow is more likely to be laminar rather than turbulent. Since it's a direct path, there will be no mixing with other air in the surrounding chamber (which is small and sealed from the engine bay), and it likely will be slightly cooler when it reaches the engine. I live in a cool climate so I don't think the temp will affect me much, unless I have a hot day at the track. And it is a bit louder without it, but only when I'm really rippin' on it, which isn't every day because I don't like to drive like a maniac on public roads.

Should you take it out? If you want to. I really don't consider it a critical piece of equipment one way or another. These cars are fun to work on and the snork is a pretty harmless way to spend a little time messing around with your car on a lazy afternoon.

03BoxsterS

Time for another spin. Took it up gradually to 7k rpm in first and second, then I'm already over the speed limit. I really didn't notice much, even at high rpms. Turn around, flip on the Valentine, and basically let it rip like I'm at the track, up into 4th. Ok, now I can hear something, it is noticeable. Is there extra power there? I can't tell, my seat of the pants dyno is not that sensitive. Kinda doubt it, tho.

On my 99 2.5 the difference was huge. Especially before I got a sports muffler. - When I find some time I will remove the air intake muffler. This is a separate piece on the 2.5, but part of the intake tube on the 2.7 and 3.2.

Atle