Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil Pan Sealant Compound

Long story not so short.

Went to change my oil & filter this morning and discovered the oil drain plug 8 mm hex plug was rounded and the 8 mm hex tool would just spin around. Evidently my Porsche dealer service shop over torque the drain plug and ruined it when they were searching for an oil leak early this year. I certainly don't plan to let them touch my car again.

So now I need to remove the pan (13 M6 X 20 torx screws) and remove the drain plug w/ either an easy out or drill it so it falls apart. I can do this while it's on the car but I think it's better dealing w/ the drain plug while the pan is removed. I don't want to get any aluminum chips from the drain plug drilling inside the motor. It's should be a pretty simple task.

No gasket is required but a sealant compound is specified (Porsche #000 043 204 73). I suspect it's just a prema-seal type of sealant (aluminum to aluminum high temperature) but I want to be sure. Does anybody know the details on this Porsche sealant compound or a suggestion on which type I should use?

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

Some folks have had luck taking the drain plug out with various tools.

How to remove stripped drain plug?

Drei Bond silicone - Type 1209 is the Porsche stuff.

Any engine builders high temperature silicone should work.

Thanks Loren for the info.

I guess it's a 'common' problem. I'll try to remove it while it's in using some the of techniques mentioned before I remove the pan.

Thanks again.

Problem solved . . . Oil drained and filter changed.

My neighbor had a #8 Easy Out that I just hammered into the the rounded out 8 mm hex hole and carefully backed out the drain plug. Pretty simple and I guess a common fix w/ aluminum drain plugs.

Filled up w/ nine (9) quarts of 0-40 Mobil One. Gauge show all bars so I guess it's full. I'll watch it awhile to make sure.

Thanks for all for your suggestions and help.

:) :) :) :)