Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

4 point harness seat belt

Flying V

Hi Guys,

I plan to install a 4 point harness seat belt on my car. However my half cage doesn't have the a "cross bar" where you can strap the upper harness / belts. Do you guys have any suggestions where I should connect the upper harness / belts.

Thanks and Godspeed!

• Moderators

Hi V..... Here's a few thoughts and comments. I hope I'm not being redundant or preachy here. There are safe ways to install restraint systems....and some very unsafe ways. Lap belts should fit low and in front of one's hip bones. It is MUCH safer to have a 5 or 6 point system where the lap belt is held in that low position and the 5th/6th belt(s) prevent you from 'submarining' under the lap belt in the event of a frontal crash. Shoulder belts need to be held close to one's neck (not drooping over one's shoulders) AND the angle of the shoulder belts behind the seat should be not much below horizontal to prevent spinal compression in a crash. As you are saying, that requires some sufficiently strong mount high enough behind the seat.... such as the roll structure that you refer to. If you have the stock ROW GT3 seats with the holes for shoulder belts, you are good. If you have the factory sport seats without shoulder belt ports (as were delivered in the US), you cannot get the belt to stay on your shoulders=dangerous. Also, the angle of the 5th/6th/Sub belts needs to be not far from vertical which mandates a sub belt port through the seat cushion between your legs and a solid mount right below that port. Many track day sponsoring organizations require most or all of the above.

If you have a roll structure and it does not supply the right shoulder belt mounts, try Brey Krause at: http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/porscheindex.php

Thanks Craig! Redundant? ... Preachy?... Not at all! I find your points very practical. From the sound of it, it seems like I need to retro fit my car with belt mounts. My car does have ROW GT3 seats with holes for the shoulder belts. However if I were to put the shoulder belts thru the holes, it would end up "angling down" since the only place where I can anchor the shoulder belts is in the area where the back seats are suppose to be...which you said is quite dangerous due to spinal compression in the event of a crash.

Thanks again for the inputs!

Godspeed!